DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 2500, 4x4, hemi
Color: grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
leekaws is on a distinguished road
Default Door ajar, power locks and window problems

Hi all, I'm new to the site and I must say I love it! Tons of good info on here. I have a 2003 Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab. I'm having several problems and trying to figure out if they are all related to one cause. Any help would be great!
Problem one, Door ajar light stays on in the dash with the interior lights. I've unplugged all of the door latch wires from all four doors, light is still on....
Problem two, my automatic door locks do not open or lock from any of the switches inside, I can hear it click and the drivers side moves just a little. I have no key fobs for the truck....
Problem three, only the drivers side window switches works, can put any window up or down. Just can't control them at their particular seat....

I have taken apart all of the doors and looked for broken wires, haven't found any yet.... Could this be a problem with the board controling all of this? Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be great! Thank you
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You really need the help of a scan too to see what the body controller is doing in regards to the door ajar light. Are you sure the power window switch isn't locked, preventing the other switches from working? If it's unlocked, the problem is likely the master switch itself. As for the door locks, if the latches are getting power and ground, then they're bad.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you for the info. I'm not 100% sure the window lock button is working, they don't work when I hit the lock button once or twice.... I'm assuming that just opens the circuit to the other switches....? I will ohm it out tomorrow when I have time to check and report back. As for the door ajar, I'm going to break down and take it to the dealer to run a scan ONLY! I hope they can point me to the right direction. Gotta love electrical problems in cars!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Your window switch assumption is correct. Personally, I prefer dealing with electrical problems over some of the other issues that pop up!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well an update... Turns out the window problem was being caused by a bad master control switch. I replaced it and now they all work. Still have problems with the locks and door ajar though. Anyone know what the best way to test each locking actuator is? Also, as I said before, I unplugged all the door latches and the ajar light was still on. Does unplugging them actually take it out of the circuit, as far as the computer is concerned, or would it stay on because it sees the switch as open. I read somewhere that was a good way to troubleshoot it but I'm not sure.... Also, anybody have a good wire diagram for this? That would help a ton. Thanks