DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 2500
Rep:10
Amcmachine70 is on a distinguished road
Default Can anyone tell me their milage with a 2500 with hemi

I am ordering a 3500 srw with a hemi,only towing about 5 times a year and will be empty most of the time.Also only put about 12-15000 miles a year on the truck,so I am trying to figure if a diesel pays off.I know towing will get worse milage but by how much. 3-5 mpg and how about empty maby 2 mpg.Diesel option is about 8 grand more and fuel around here is about .50 more for diesel,I will probably have the truck 5 years or so and I know trade in value will be lower but the way I'm figuring it will take me about 7 years to pay off. So if someone can tell me what mpg their getting with their 2500 hemi maby I can decide,thanks
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
oilersfan2 is on a distinguished road
Default Same

I'm in the same situation you are.....looking to get into a new 2500/3500 but not sure a diesel is worth it. Tow my fifth wheel a few times a year, quad every other weekend, and wife uses the truck as a daily driver. Diesel is nice, and would love one....but $$$. Dealer tells me 2500 Hemi gets about 17L/100Km (13.5MPG) but can you ever believe a guy trying to sell you something? LOL I've heard real life numbers to be closer to 21L/100Km (11MPG)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Matallic
Rep:62
crabjoe will become famous soon enough

Most of the numbers I've seen or heard, on a 2500 w/Hemi, is 13mpg empty and about 7mpg towing... If you do any amount of driving, it'll eat you alive!

$8K seems like a lot ... we it is a lot, but when you go to sell or trade in, the value you lose, on a Cummins equipped truck, will be less than one with a Hemi..

Go look at some used dealer lots and see for yourself. I've seen 8 to 10 yo Rams w/Cummins sell for over $30K... Part of it is because those trucks didn't have emissions but the other part is that people know the Cummins just goes and goes....
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 2500 CC Laramie
Color: Black and silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Lawnmax1 is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 ram 2500 CC w/ hemi

I have had mine for about 3 weeks. Drove to Vermont last week @ 80 MPH on the thruway. Averaged 15.5 miles . This was reading after reset and fill before we left to come home. Been towing work trailer which weighs 8000 pounds getting 11 miles. Diesel was too expensive to justify for me.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

'11 Power Wagon 4.56 gears, Spyntec Hubs, 33" AT's

I get 11-13mpg around town and about 17 freeway empty for a running average of about 14mpg daily.

Towing my 8600# trailer with 800-1000# in the bed I get about 10mpg average at 68mph.

Keep in mind my gear ratio and the fact I dropped the money for real hubs up front so I am not pushing the front end around all the time.

Last edited by battlerattle; 04-05-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500
Color: Maximum Steel Matallic
Rep:62
crabjoe will become famous soon enough

You guys are getting much better than what I've been hearing on the Hemi 2500s. Especially the Power Wagon..
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post
You guys are getting much better than what I've been hearing on the Hemi 2500s. Especially the Power Wagon..
As I said, you have to keep in mind the fact I dropped and extra $1700 to switch over the front end, so my mileage will be 2-3mpg better than most PW's out there.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcmachine70 View Post
I am ordering a 3500 srw with a hemi,only towing about 5 times a year and will be empty most of the time.Also only put about 12-15000 miles a year on the truck,so I am trying to figure if a diesel pays off.I know towing will get worse milage but by how much. 3-5 mpg and how about empty maby 2 mpg.Diesel option is about 8 grand more and fuel around here is about .50 more for diesel,I will probably have the truck 5 years or so and I know trade in value will be lower but the way I'm figuring it will take me about 7 years to pay off. So if someone can tell me what mpg their getting with their 2500 hemi maby I can decide,thanks
How much weight are you towing? There is a big difference in price, but there is also a big difference in tow ratings. It'll be hard to get shed of such a large truck with a gas engine, and trade will suffer. It sounds like you know your business, however. It's a tough call, indeed.

Are you making lots of short trips, where an engine may not get to operating temp?

Are you prepared to spend quite a bit more on service (oil changes are more costly for a diesel, and you also have the fuel filter).

Lots to consider. I know, because I'm evaluating the same questions now!

Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 2500
Amcmachine70 is on a distinguished road

How much weight are you towing? There is a big difference in price, but there is also a big difference in tow ratings. It'll be hard to get shed of such a large truck with a gas engine, and trade will suffer. It sounds like you know your business, however. It's a tough call, indeed.

Are you making lots of short trips, where an engine may not get to operating temp?

Are you prepared to spend quite a bit more on service (oil changes are more costly for a diesel, and you also have the fuel filter).

Keep us posted.

My tt weighs 7000 dry so I figure 8-9000 loaded at most ever, no problem for the 3500 hemi srw, I am going with the 3500 because its only $1000.00 difference than the 2500 what I'm paying and a heavier duty truck for the money.Yes I will be mostly making short trips when not trailering,running around town and to the kids sports so i am thinking i will have more trouble with the diesel by not using it.only intend to travel about 5 times a year with the kids.So I think that's where the maintence cost will come in,a gas motor will have no problem with this use.The trade in value will defiantly be crappy but that's a trade off I think I will have to make.My 2012 ram 1500 gets average 14 mpg now so I am hoping the 3500 won't be much worse if its at least 12 I'm good with that its a hd pickup truck not an Eco cruiser.Towing will be lower I know that,I would love the diesel but I think I will be in for issues due to the lack of use,so the milage difference is my main factor here,Does it really pay for itself in my case?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcmachine70 View Post

Keep us posted.

My tt weighs 7000 dry so I figure 8-9000 loaded at most ever, no problem for the 3500 hemi srw, I am going with the 3500 because its only $1000.00 difference than the 2500 what I'm paying and a heavier duty truck for the money.Yes I will be mostly making short trips when not trailering,running around town and to the kids sports so i am thinking i will have more trouble with the diesel by not using it.only intend to travel about 5 times a year with the kids.So I think that's where the maintence cost will come in,a gas motor will have no problem with this use.The trade in value will defiantly be crappy but that's a trade off I think I will have to make.My 2012 ram 1500 gets average 14 mpg now so I am hoping the 3500 won't be much worse if its at least 12 I'm good with that its a hd pickup truck not an Eco cruiser.Towing will be lower I know that,I would love the diesel but I think I will be in for issues due to the lack of use,so the milage difference is my main factor here,Does it really pay for itself in my case?
You make a good case for the Hemi. Terribly hard to justify the diesel, particularly if you're prone to trading every few years. The Hemi route might be just what you need. Keep us posted!