DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tonneau bed covers - Need buying advise

As I have noted before, this is my first pick-up truck after years of driving SUVs since before they were called SUVs. I would like to put a bed cover on my new RAM but there are so many and different technologies.

I need a cover that can handle the ice and snow of Michigan winters, car washes, summer's sun, and stay water tight. I have taken a serious look at the BakFlip G2 along with the BakBox, looks nice on the trucks and looks to be functional. Problem is I don't know what the ins and outs are of bed covers. Any advise and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2013, 06:47 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
Clarkgriswald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
As I have noted before, this is my first pick-up truck after years of driving SUVs since before they were called SUVs. I would like to put a bed cover on my new RAM but there are so many and different technologies.

I need a cover that can handle the ice and snow of Michigan winters, car washes, summer's sun, and stay water tight. I have taken a serious look at the BakFlip G2 along with the BakBox, looks nice on the trucks and looks to be functional. Problem is I don't know what the ins and outs are of bed covers. Any advise and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob,

I am from Wisconsin and was wondering the same things you are. I like the the covers that fold in so the bed is still useable when you need it without having to take the whole thing off but what happens when ice and snow are on there. How often do the get jammed up even with pushing the snow off and how durable are they with the abuse of winters in our area.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:58 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

I have a BakFlip Fibermax along with a Bakbox on my Longhorn and am very happy with it. I've had several trucks but this is my first tonneau cover. My goal was to find one that not only protected my cargo from the elements and theft but was ready to use at a moment's notice. I like the style of those fiberglass one piece covers that are painted to match the truck but they seemed like an all or nothing kind of deal: you either have it on or, if you are hauling something tall like a washing machine, you have to leave it behind. Since I usually lack the foresight to think that far ahead I decided that another solution would be best for me.

My dad used to have a Chevy Avalanche and its 3 piece tonneau cover was very handy so I set out to look for something like that. The closest I found was the BakFlip. It isn't 3 totally separate pieces like on the Avalanche but otherwise it is similar in that if I only need just the first or second panel removed I can fold those back and not have to remove the entire thing. The one downside is that if the panels are folded all the way back then you have zero visibility out the back window. Odds are that if you have a washing machine back there then you probably have no view anyway, but something fairly skinny such as a dirt bike would normally still let you use the rear view mirror. With the BakFlip fully back that isn't the case but to me it is a small price to pay. I also like the flush fit and water protection. Going through the big car wash near my home I will get a little water in the bed but not much...it wouldn't even be enough to ruin paper grocery bags (note: I did cover the 2 bed stake pockets to help seal it a bit more).

In all I'm very pleased with the BakFlip Fibermax and would purchase again. I haven't used their other models so I can't really compare them but it seems like the difference is basically the materials...looks like function is the same.

I'm also pretty happy with the BakBox, though admittedly I don't use it much. I installed it, threw jumper cables, some tow straps, and other emergency gear in it and haven't touched it since. It isn't quite as large as a traditional cargo box but plenty big for emergency gear and more. It can be folded to make extra room in the bed (you still lose a bit of bed length with the BakFlip and BakBox but not much, and if you have the bed extender then it probably will never matter). I purchased my BakBox after my Fibermax and discovered that I had to totally remove the Finermax panels to install it. Knowing that I should have ordered at the same time and installed the box before putting down the Fibermax covers (but after the rails). However, I'm not mechanically inclined and even as such it only took a minute to remove the Fibermax.

Hope this helps a bit. I've found the Fibermax to be well made and durable (I can stand on it but I try not to) and it has come in handy on several occasions just in the last couple of months since I bought it, not to mention everytime we go to the grocery store and arrive home without my Fruity Pebbles having blown away. It would definitely stand up to being covered in lots of snow.
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior

Last edited by edge35; 04-08-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 2WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT w/Big Horn EQ GP
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:119
plumcrazy73 will become famous soon enoughplumcrazy73 will become famous soon enough

not a flip type cover it is a hard cover, and only like 60 lbs so removal is no big deal. Look at the Undercover SE, (they have a few others too) I have one and love it.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed
Color: Copperhead Pearlcoat
Rep:54
The Crow 1994 will become famous soon enough

I watched a bunch of Youtube videos when I was researching which tonnneau cover to buy. First, I went to a couple of auto parts sites (even some of them have videos), then I checked out which ones fit my price range and read the descriptions of which ones I might want to buy. In the end, I've decided on purchasing the BakFlip VP.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn CC
Color: Black
Rep:29
Lawdog4817 is on a distinguished road

This company has a bunch of videos about the different covers they offer.

http://tonneaucoversworld.com/index....FQvNnAodayEAsA
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown
Rep:30
N901 is on a distinguished road

Access Rollup for me. Was great in the New England winter and gets completely out of the way so you can access the bed
Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:29
jeepguy is on a distinguished road

I'm considering the Retrax Pro myself. It's an aluminum rolling cover.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
Mineral13 is on a distinguished road

I have the Retrax Pro. You loose a little bit of bed space for the canister but the cover has been fantastic. So far has held up to ice, snow and heavy rainfall with no leakage.

One of the biggest selling points for me was the ability to lock in any position you want which I didn't find with other covers.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Quad 4x4
Color: Dark Cherry Red
Rep:15
howln is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post

Thanks,
Bob
In Southern MD I don't have the winter's you get, but I've had the XTang full tilt for 8 years, just took it off my 2004 and installed on my 2013. The cover is holding up well; can be lifted, or rolled up, or taken off whole in 30 seconds, weighs about 20 lbs. It was water tight on the 04, not totally on the 13 due to the shape of the tailgate. Recommended for a versatile soft top cover.