DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Smile Dead Horse (180) stat

I just wanna know from people w/ a 180 degree T stat installed in a 2012 ram 5.7 hemi who live in the north east or any other comparable climate place whether or not they have heating issues when it goes winter on them. I see temps sometimes on average 30 degrees some times teens & single digits in the dead of winter & I not only consider my ram my toy but first & foremost a family vehicle. That said I can't have my child freezing in the winter just cause I want a cool running engine. Any responses would be appreciated & let me pre thank all that do so.
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport CC
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:25
Matt key is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi N Haw View Post
I just wanna know from people w/ a 180 degree T stat installed in a 2012 ram 5.7 hemi who live in the north east or any other comparable climate place whether or not they have heating issues when it goes winter on them. I see temps sometimes on average 30 degrees some times teens & single digits in the dead of winter & I not only consider my ram my toy but first & foremost a family vehicle. That said I can't have my child freezing in the winter just cause I want a cool running engine. Any responses would be appreciated & let me pre thank all that do so.
I'm wondering the same thing, living in North Dakota gets to be really fricken cold :/
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

You guys don't know COLD! When it gets too cold for snow, then you know it's bad.

BUT, to answer the OP's question, I ran a 180 t-stat for years in my '07 and have one in my '09 now. We see temps well into the negatives, both Celsius and Fahrenheit, and both vehicles are able to pump out enough heat to allow me to cruise in a t-shirt and the wife to remain bundled up complaining that it's too cold (but she does this in Mexico sitting on the beach too ).

The t-stat just allows the coolant to start flowing through the radiator sooner, your high temp will remain very close to what it was before the t-stat swap. Warm up times are affected in a very minor way.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 RCSB 4X4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:173
Unfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura aboutUnfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
You guys don't know COLD! When it gets too cold for snow, then you know it's bad.

BUT, to answer the OP's question, I ran a 180 t-stat for years in my '07 and have one in my '09 now. We see temps well into the negatives, both Celsius and Fahrenheit, and both vehicles are able to pump out enough heat to allow me to cruise in a t-shirt and the wife to remain bundled up complaining that it's too cold (but she does this in Mexico sitting on the beach too ).

The t-stat just allows the coolant to start flowing through the radiator sooner, your high temp will remain very close to what it was before the t-stat swap. Warm up times are affected in a very minor way.
Sweet, I was wondering the same thing. I plan on putting one in this summer but didnt know how it would do at 50 below!
MODS- QTP Exhaust Cutout, ARH Long-tube Headers, HornBlasters Train Horn, HemiFever Tuned, Linex bedliner, Painted mirrors and door handles, 14" magnaflow muffler, Cabin air filter, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Black 17" Sport Edition TK5 Wheels, K&N CAI, BT Catch can, 85mm Throttle body, Upper glovebox Mod, Recon Black Projector headlights, Retroshops- Tinted LED Tails including 3rd brake.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:91
Kelevra will become famous soon enough

What's the benefit in running a 180 stat in the 5.7?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:07 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

I run a 170 here in PA and never have any issues with getting adequate heat for the passenger compartment during the winter.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 04-13-2013, 04:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Sport CC
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:25
Matt key is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
What's the benefit in running a 180 stat in the 5.7?
Cooler running engines perform better and is healthier for it
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 AM

Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

Seems like a waste of time and money to me. No real data that it does anything. Do it while still under warranty and you give them an easy out if something related happens.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJon View Post
Seems like a waste of time and money to me. No real data that it does anything. Do it while still under warranty and you give them an easy out if something related happens.
No pun intended but there's plenty of data that it does infact icrease the performance of your engine. You won't find an engine builder in the world who would disagree unless he was an idiot, lol! And they can not use it against your warranty. The only thing it will affect if it does is your emission test more than likely for those with modded exhaust systems. Although hotter engine temps do help burn off emissions better I have'nt heard of anyone failing emissions using a 180 tstat alone. Hotter engine temps help burn high emissions but rob your engine of performance where as cooler 180 temps don't burn emissions as well but increase your engines performance.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 AM

Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

I could have been wrong. My wife seems to think it happens more often than I do for some reason. Maybe someone who is building will find the benefit but most I see are just changing the thermostat and looking for a noticeable difference. Much like the CAI debate. By data I was thinking more on the lines of a truck outlasting or beating one in a race without and not so much on paper numbers. How much performance can you get from a thermostat change? Is it worth the chance? Just a few things to think about I guess. I don't claim my post is expert advice. I'm looking for the input to them. Even though I'm not doing these changes I am very interested in reading about those that do.
A warranty can be voided extremely easy. If you change out engine parts and screw something up or the failure can somehow be linked to the new part you can bet that they will drop it. Dealers need the warranty work so most aftermarket parts are overlooked during minor repairs. Try that with a blown engine.