DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
carslsmgr is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 1500....no power to fuel pump

Sorry that my first post is about a problem, but this is something I have to get fixed as soon as possible!

2011 RAM 1500, 5.7L Hemi here. On the way home one night, the truck started acting like a "choo choo train" i.e. bad missing and hesitation. When I got the truck back here to where I work, it died and hasn't run since.

Ran a generic scan tool, and showed a multiple cylinder misfire. When checking the fuel pump, we didn't hear a noise or anything out of it. When you spray starting fluid or put a little fuel in the intake, the truck wants to fire off, but of course dies as soon as there is no more fuel.

Ordered a new fuel pump assembly, got all the waterish gas (darn e85) out of the tank, and re-assembled. The guy who did it worked at a chrysler store until 2010, so I trust him.

Everything is back together, go to turn the key, and NOTHING out of the fuel pump. Pump is known good since we tested it using jumper wires from the battery to the pump- just to make sure we didn't get a dud.

Today I brought my wife's copy of the key to make sure it's not a security issue, and from what I can tell, that isn't a problem.

Of course- the truck has 53,000 miles, and the local chrysler store is known for gouging the heck out of customers, so i'm trying everything before it goes over there.

Any suggestions or diagnostic ideas I can try? I did have a master tech at another chrysler store tell me to replace the fuel pump relay, but i'm reading there isn't one- it's controlled by the computer.....
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough

Did you check the relay in the fuse box? You can try removing the relay and jumping with a wire to see if that gets the pump going.. If it does, then check for voltage on that relay coil to see if it's being told to turn on. If there is no voltage on the relay then you will have to look further back in the system to see why it's not getting anything..

Not sure if there is a fuse in that line or not.. but that would be high on my list as well.

Andy
Old 03-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
carslsmgr is on a distinguished road

thanks astroman. After checking a little more "in depth" I found a "fuel pump" fuse that looked to be blown. after replacing it, i'm now getting power to the pump.

HOWEVER- now i'm back to no start. So i have air and fuel, and I know that i'm getting fire- it's trying to start. I've moved around relays off the non essentials (i.e. power pedals) so i'm thinking i need to rule them out? I'm going to try to figure out how to post a video.

I am getting a check engine light that is blinking 10 times after the first time i try to start. No codes per the code reader.... any ideas?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by carslsmgr View Post
I am getting a check engine light that is blinking 10 times after the first time i try to start. No codes per the code reader.... any ideas?
Sorry I can't be more of a help.. My only thought is that when you changed out the fuel pump, maybe air got into the fuel line and needs to be purged before it will start??

Andy