DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:35
GSmoggie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33luxx View Post
nice work man! how many coats did u use and how long did it take you? can you go through the process and what sand paper grit u used
what do you use to take the emblems off too?
As for the tails, I didn't sand them at all. The Niteshades paint is suppose to adhere to a plastic lens just fine. I've hit mine with a power washer and nothing has happened.

But I removed the tails and third brake from the vehicle, that's the only way to get all the edges and for the strongest finish. I cleaned the lights with window cleaner, multiple times. Then I sprayed a dry, first coat. This coat gives the next coat of paint something to adhere to. Then I waited maybe 3 minutes, It was about 65 degrees outside when I was painting by the way, and started with my second coat. This one was more of a medium coat. Waited about 5 minutes then shot the 3rd, another medium coat. Now at this point I was considering stopping, because I really liked the way it looked...but I went one more. Luckily I didn't completely black them out and the brake lights still show through almost perfectly.

So I ended with my first light, dry coat followed by 3 medium coats.

I did not use clearcoat...I would advise it but I was satisfied with my finish and felt confident. Clear makes it nice for a flawless, clean finish...but in my opinion, it takes away from the idea that It could have been a manufactured lens. I love when people don't believe that I do my own work, makes one feel good.

Oh I forgot to mention...Try to find a good, flat surface for the lights to rest on. Helps prevent runs and sags in the paint. Some people like hanging them, I like having them flat.

Happy modding!!
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Lol, great minds think alike. I didn't even have to buy an eraser wheel. My buddy has one that he let me borrow. I used it a bunch on my truck and he has used it to debadge his and another friend's Duramax and it still has plenty of life left in it.

I love the look of my clean tailgate with the tinted tails!
Sooo weird...my buddy umm "acquired" one from his body shop that he works at..hmm

It is definitely a sexy look man!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:10
d33luxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
I can't answer for the OP but I can tell you what I did on mine. For prep I removed the lights, very lightly wetsanded them with 2000 grit and dish soap, dried them good and then scrubbed them very thoroughly with rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth. Applied three even light to medium coats of Niteshades being sure to get all four edges. Waited five minutes in between each coat best I remember. After Niteshades I waited about 30 minutes and then sprayed four light coats of clear and then a fifth heavier coat. I think I waited ten minutes in between the clear coats. The clear I used said safe to touch in an hour but I left them overnight. I would seriously scrutinize the finish at this point. All of mine turned out slick enough to not really need additional sanding. If you aren't happy with the finish you can very lightly wetsand but I would only do this if you have trash in the finish or are otherwise unhappy with it. I would also attempt to locate some 2500 or 3000 grit sandpaper for wetsanding the finish. I used 2000 grit because the Youtube vid that I watched said to and it was very, very difficult to polish the light sand marks back out by hand. If I had it to do over I would not wetsand after the VHT and clear, however, it is an option if needed. Whether you wetsand the dried finish or you don't, the next step should be a good polish. I used Mother's Ultimate Compound. Reinstall and wax them with whatever finishing wax you use and enjoy!

Here's the thread I done when I did mine.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121228

As for debadging, the easiest way I have found is to use fishing line. You may have to double it up to keep it from breaking. Wear gloves so you can hold it and move it in a sawing motion without cutting your hands. On small emblems and whatnot you can peel and roll the adhesive off and then clean it with alcohol or Goo Gone or similar. On larger messes or hard to get off adhesive, a 3M eraser wheel works like magic. Yes, it's $40 but it's worth it and one will last forever. After you get it cleaned up and slick, wax it up good because alcohol and Goo Gone and the like takes the wax off.

Hope this helps!

Mad props man! thanks alot. gonna have to give it a go this weekend. thanks again
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Those tails looks great.. I did mine, but as dark as yours, but didn't have to sand or anything and they came out good.. I also debated debadging, but decided to plasti-dipp my emblems (need to get a pic with them).. But here is my truck after I tinted the tails.. (Any southern Ontario law enforcement.. you don't see anything
Clear area on driver side light is actually clean and does not have that weird mark.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 04-19-2013, 02:18 AM

has anyone tried nightshading the turn lights on the mirrors?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I'm sure it would work just fine. As long as you can get them out.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Flame Red
Rep:39
11BMopar is on a distinguished road

They turned out looking great
Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 PM

is it illegal to tint out your headlights? seems like everyone is only doing their tail lights.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hey those look good man! Props!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33luxx View Post
is it illegal to tint out your headlights? seems like everyone is only doing their tail lights.
It's going to vary by state but it would really surprise me to find out that it is legal to tint your headlights in any state. I would almost guarantee that every state has some sort of law that would make this illegal. Even the velcro or snap-on style smoked covers are illegal in at least some states. They are here in NC. For that matter, the tinted tails are too, lol. I personally wouldn't mess with the headlights. I had the smoked headlight covers on a car years ago and it did really cut down on the light output. Also, I didn't tape off my back-up lights when I tinted my tails and after seeing how it cut the white light output of those I would never even consider putting Niteshades on the headlights. I have three coats of Niteshades on my tails so they aren't extremely dark but it basically cut the back-up light output to zero. You can still easily tell when I am in reverse because the lights illuminate fine but they do not cast out any light now.

If you really want to tint your heads I would try Lamin-x before anything else. It's an adhesive vinyl film that comes in a couple different levels of smoke/tint and a handful of colors. I have the optic blue on my fog lights and I really like it. The stuff is thick and heavy duty. They make pre-cut kits for fogs, heads, tails, etc. That's what I ordered first but it seemed a tad too small to me so I emailed them and complained and they sent me a pair of cut to fit sheets for free. Very good customer service. It's pretty easy to apply on relatively flat surfaces but conforming it to curves really well is going to require a heat gun and probably some experience with applying vinyl tint. My local tint shop does it so maybe you can find someone near you that does as well. It's relatively inexpensive and if you weren't happy with it, you could peel it back off. Hope this helps!

Here's a good thread with some pics of smoked Lamin-x. Make sure you scroll down through it to see the fourth gen with tinted heads, fogs, and tails.
http://www.**************/forums/sho...d.php?t=319771 Replace the asterisks with dodgetalk.

Also, here's one of our members that did Niteshades on the headlights.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139429

Oh and it's blue instead of smoked but here's my Lamin-x tinted fog. I been considering talking to my tint guy about doing the heads to match but I dunno.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 04-19-2013 at 05:34 PM.