DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
d33luxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
It's going to vary by state but it would really surprise me to find out that it is legal to tint your headlights in any state. I would almost guarantee that every state has some sort of law that would make this illegal. Even the velcro or snap-on style smoked covers are illegal in at least some states. They are here in NC. For that matter, the tinted tails are too, lol. I personally wouldn't mess with the headlights. I had the smoked headlight covers on a car years ago and it did really cut down on the light output. Also, I didn't tape off my back-up lights when I tinted my tails and after seeing how it cut the white light output of those I would never even consider putting Niteshades on the headlights. I have three coats of Niteshades on my tails so they aren't extremely dark but it basically cut the back-up light output to zero. You can still easily tell when I am in reverse because the lights illuminate fine but they do not cast out any light now.

If you really want to tint your heads I would try Lamin-x before anything else. It's an adhesive vinyl film that comes in a couple different levels of smoke/tint and a handful of colors. I have the optic blue on my fog lights and I really like it. The stuff is thick and heavy duty. They make pre-cut kits for fogs, heads, tails, etc. That's what I ordered first but it seemed a tad too small to me so I emailed them and complained and they sent me a pair of cut to fit sheets for free. Very good customer service. It's pretty easy to apply on relatively flat surfaces but conforming it to curves really well is going to require a heat gun and probably some experience with applying vinyl tint. My local tint shop does it so maybe you can find someone near you that does as well. It's relatively inexpensive and if you weren't happy with it, you could peel it back off. Hope this helps!

Here's a good thread with some pics of smoked Lamin-x. Make sure you scroll down through it to see the fourth gen with tinted heads, fogs, and tails.
http://www.**************/forums/sho...d.php?t=319771 Replace the asterisks with dodgetalk.

Also, here's one of our members that did Niteshades on the headlights.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139429

Oh and it's blue instead of smoked but here's my Lamin-x tinted fog. I been considering talking to my tint guy about doing the heads to match but I dunno.
Big props my dude! thanks for the write up!
im from canada..... so ill have to check it out. but i dont see it being any different.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
d33luxx is on a distinguished road

just finished tinting my tail lights and light indicators. Gotta say it turned out better than i thought it would! After the clear coat i lightly wet sanded it again before applying the spray on wax. It doesnt have a super glossy finish. Is there a product i could use to get it glossier?

Big props to all the people who gave advice on how to do it! Ill post pictures later
Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

If you wetsanded, even lightly, after the clearcoat then you should probably hit it with a very light polish like Meguire's Ultimate Compound or something similar. You don't want something with a lot of cut, just a fine polish. If you are applying by hand, put some elbow grease into it. The polish will take out the cloudiness created by the sanding. Then follow it up with a quality liquid or paste wax. I'm not a huge fan of spray-on wax. Let me know if it makes a difference. I bet it will.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:33
cityfun95 is on a distinguished road

I finally did mine. the only prep work i did was cleaning the lights and masking around them. I did both tailights and 3rd brake light and the roof clearence lights as well. I love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lights 1.jpg (101.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg lights 2.jpg (129.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg lights 3.jpg (133.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg lights 4.jpg (125.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg lights 5.jpg (100.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg lights 6.jpg (72.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfun95 View Post
I finally did mine. the only prep work i did was cleaning the lights and masking around them. I did both tailights and 3rd brake light and the roof clearence lights as well. I love it!
very nice!

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

I have thought about tinting the headlights with 2 very light coats of VHT, and doing a 4500K HID conversion in the stock housings. Does anyone think the output from the HID's would offset the tint? I don't care if its not brighter, but I don't want it to be any less output than stock.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
pappy10 is on a distinguished road
Default Painted taillights

black Beauty.jpgI have a 2008 i thought I'd just enhance the stock image by painting the outside edge but leaving the center red,finally triming it with a little chrome. I like the look and I don't think it's illeagal.--Pappy10
Old 05-28-2013, 09:17 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:517
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmoggie View Post
Thanks guys!

I agree, Shawnu you need to get on the move with the tinting! It's very simple and a big appearance changer.
WELL OKAY THEN!!!

I was going to get them done at a shop, but i got some rustoleum spray tint on clearance at kmart and tried it out on the ol silverado and liked it more than the VHT. I posted it in the exterior mods.

I think with a good wetsand id be happy, so i might be posting a new mod soon!!
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress