DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Total Load Control!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
tonneaucovered.com
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Fully Loaded
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
NWTJetboater is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Heater for EXTREME cold starts

What are the best options for adding a stand alone heater to a HEMI...I am thinking Wesbaso or Espar or similar.

We have had some extreme cold temps this year for two months already...windchills colder than -50 and ambient temps around -40C. Even when plugged in the hemi was making some horrible sounds; however I need to be able to start the truck at -40 without power
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:446
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Those heaters are diesel, that could be problematic. So you don't have electricity? I'm thinking a spare 8 D battery that you keep warm and charged in the house. Get an inverter big enough to run a block heater, put it on a timer to turn on the block heater a couple hours before you need to start. If you have to recharge the 8D, you should be able to run long jumpers into the house from the Ram battery. I recently lost my electricity for a week, but it only got down to -22F. I was able to run stuff in my house of an inverter on my Ram's battery (Yellow Top) . Unfortunately, my inverter would kick off when I ran the Ram, because it didn't like the Ram's 14.8-15 volt charging, so I had to run back and forth to keep my battery charged enough to start the truck. Last time we had -40F, I drove a Tacoma, it really hated to start. Had a Mazda car that broke the cam shaft off at -40. You might also put a warming blanket on the battery.
Inertia Spartan + cam, Circle D 3,000 stall ,Sonnax line pressure booster, MagHytec 68RE pan,and differential cover, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's, Helwig rear sway bar,3:92's, extra rear leaf,Line-X Bedliner,GY Armortracs, 240,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I am interested in the gas fired unit..most are diesel but they do make a gas unit as well.

the unit is required for when we don't have access to power..say 50 miles out of town and the temps drop below -40C/F.
Block heaters and battery blankets are SOP up here in the arctic...we have a block heater on our skidoo!

Any one install one in a hemi??

Our local shop quoted 10 hours to install at $165/hr. so it would be nice to hear how they work before committing.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RCSB 8sp/3.21 geared Ram
Trim Level: Sport lowered 4X4
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:488
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Um if you're 50 miles away from a plug-in at -40,what are you doing shutting it off,and how in hell do you keep yourself warm with-out power of some sort.
I worked north of Wandering River for one winter many moons ago,at -40 and colder,we never shut anything off.
We used big parachutes to cover everything at night,and still left the trucks running under the chutes.
Only did one winter up there,as that was enough to send me back down south,lol
Old 01-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

the usual...skidooing, ice fishing, cutting firewood or exploring...sitting in front of the woodstove at the cabin.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RCSB 8sp/3.21 geared Ram
Trim Level: Sport lowered 4X4
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:488
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

LOL,okay i hadn't thought of that
I thought you were in a Camp.

This is real old school,but we used to use Propane Tiger Torchs and a piece of stove pipe to warm things up .
A few pieces of pipe and an elbow with the torch stuck in the end of the pipe,slid under the oil pan,warms things up pretty fast
Would something like that work.
Those gas powered heaters burn fuel probably almost as fast as the truck would if it's left idling