DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: blue streak pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:163
Jhouse has a spectacular aura aboutJhouse has a spectacular aura about
Default Info about touchscreen add on

I have a 12 express that i'd like to add a touch screen radio to. Does anybody know about this or done it already. I dont have bluetooth or back up camera on mine. I would like to add the camera as well. Would this be plug n play for everything? I do have sirius in mine but thats it. Also would any model from an 09-up work or do i need a specific model? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
K&n cai, bt catch can,moes 87mm throttle body,flowmaster super 44,20% tint front 15% rear,egr vent guards, black weatherguard toolbox, debadged,tinted tails,retroshop hid's 6000k in fogs and lows, custom mopar badges
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough

My guess is that you have the RES radio (look in the lower right corner on the radio bezel for the code).

There are a few options, but it would be best to give us an idea of what options you are looking to install with the touch screen radio. For example, do you want to keep it OEM or are you willing to go aftermarket? Looking for the addition of bluetooth and voice recognition, or just the backup cam?

Andy
Old 04-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Color: blue streak pearl
Rep:163
Jhouse has a spectacular aura aboutJhouse has a spectacular aura about

Id prefer to stay oem but aftermarkets not outtta the question. Bluetooth is def one thing i want and id like to add a back up camera too
K&n cai, bt catch can,moes 87mm throttle body,flowmaster super 44,20% tint front 15% rear,egr vent guards, black weatherguard toolbox, debadged,tinted tails,retroshop hid's 6000k in fogs and lows, custom mopar badges
Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The 2009 - 2012 Rams all use the HIGH SPEED CAN BUS & if you go with the
RBZ 430 non navigation, RHB 430 Navigation, or RHR 730 Navigation
you need to make sure it has the High Speed Can Bus

The backup camera will work with the RBZ, RHB, & RHR radios with just a flash from the dealership
no other parts needed, unless you want video in motion

The RES, RBZ, & RHB all need an external module that plugs into the back of the radio. That module can cost as much as $350 give or take
( there are 2 RES radios, one has the PHONE button & the other does Not, the one without takes a different module )

The External Module allows the Uconnect/bluetooth to work with the radios mentioned, another cable can be added to let you use the Ipod devices, that cable only cost about $12

If you go to the Crutchfield website, you can get aftermarket plug & play radios with the options that you would like to have

Your radios size is 1.5 DIN, that means the face of the radio is 3" x 7"
( with some trimming, the 4" x 7", double din can be made to work, many members have done this trimming )
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 04-15-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough

I would agree that you can probably go aftermarket with a lot more bang for your buck than oem.

As far as OEM goes, since you want bluetooth, I would suggest the RER or RHR radios. Between those two I would opt for the RHR. Both have gps, but both also have the bluetooth built into them. So no rewiring for the Uconnect module is needed. The only added thing you will need for those is a bluetooth microphone which will plug into the middle connector in the back. That radio will be the least amount of pain when installing. Definitely need a high speed bus radio. Also, you can't use the radio from the newer Durango as the mounting holes are in the wrong location (top/bottom opposed to the sides). Since you have the sirius antenna now and its a 2012, you should have the sirius/gps dual band antenna already installed on your roof.

You can check out oemautopartsco.com for what they have for the microphone and what will work. The 4 digit code on their site usually is the last four digits for the chrysler part number for the radio.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

Andy
Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: White
Rep:33
TXRam1978 is on a distinguished road

I just completed what you are trying to do exactly.

If you have the uConnect already, you're in good shape. If not, you can find the uConnect kit (part # 82212159) for about 200 bucks on ebay if you look. The installation of it is fairly easy if you're good with a wrench.

As for the radios, the ones above are good (make sure you get the unlock code too!!)

In terms of programming, your dealership can do it. They may try to overcharge you since you installed it yourself. I had to go through Chrysler corporate since "my" dealership didn't want to program it (They said since I did the work myself, I voided the warranty and they *won't* touch it. Chrysler said otherwise... It made for a tense conversation between the 3 of us, but they did it. They tried to gouge me but again, corporate stepped in)