DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Slt
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
tj4ndirish is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for advice on a 2010 Ram

Hi all,

First time here and I'm looking for some information help. I am in the market for a "new to me" truck. I test drove a 2010 4.7L Ram SLT with 4wd, it's a true crew cab. If more info is need about it, let me know.

So, here's my questions...........................How many miles can I expect to get out of this engine? Is 101k miles on this vehicle already too high? They are asking 18,900 for it, is that reasonable? I've looked on KBB and retail is over 21k.

Big question is, should I jump at this or pass?

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: blue streak pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:163
Jhouse has a spectacular aura aboutJhouse has a spectacular aura about

Personally id pass on it. Thats alotta miles for a 10. I bought a 08 with 53k and started having trouble around 75k and then traded it in on a brand new 12. To me its worth spendin a lil extra to have 0 miles and a new warranty. Ive heard theres good deals on leftover 12's now. Did you think about looking into that?
K&n cai, bt catch can,moes 87mm throttle body,flowmaster super 44,20% tint front 15% rear,egr vent guards, black weatherguard toolbox, debadged,tinted tails,retroshop hid's 6000k in fogs and lows, custom mopar badges
Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta agree with house. That's a lot of miles and you have no clue how well the PO took care of it. If it was well taken care of, and you take good care of it, expect another 150K out of it. What are you going to be using it for? Just curious why a 4.7 instead of the Hemi 5.7? $18.9 is way to much to asking for a 101K 4.7 truck. Even if it had a 5.7 in it, I'd still be talking them down at least another $2500. Like the house said, for a few thousand more, you can get a new truck.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Hi guys.

Thanks for the input. I currently drive a 2005 Monte Carlo, I bought it brand new. Since then I have gotten married and we have had 2 babies since to go along with a 12 year old step son. A little off the wall information, I'm 6'6. When put the babies in and taking them out of their car seats in the back of the car, it put a strain on my back.

So Roger, to answer your question, it's just a commuter vehicle. The quad cab still isn't 100% perfect for leg room for the babies, but it will do since I'm unable to shrink my size.

The salesman came down $200 on the price so that I can take it to a detail shop and have some of the scratches buffed out. He said that was his bottom line. He's going to put new tires on too.

I like the gas mileage, it's only a 7-8 mpg drop off from the monte. So, that's why the 4.7 as opposed to the 5.7 hemi. I hope that didn't sound snarky.

A new truck would be GREAT!!!!!! However, a few thousand to me is 3-4k a new truck is going to be 18k more. Now, I like the thought of looking for a new 2012, but, how???????

Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: 2013 ram
Trim Level: sxt
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
mmateri is on a distinguished road

well the hemi gets better mileage than the 4.7L.....a trip to edmonton which i regularily do used to cost me 80-85 in gas with my 2008 4.7L QC. Now with the '13 hemi crewcab i'm doing the same trip for 65 bucks, doing 10 over the speed limit on cruise control.... sometimes a bigger engine gets better mileage as it doesn't have to work as hard to do the same job
Old 09-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj4ndirish View Post
A new truck would be GREAT!!!!!! However, a few thousand to me is 3-4k a new truck is going to be 18k more. Now, I like the thought of looking for a new 2012, but, how???????

Thanks
In order to find a new '12 you'll have to do some leg work, and perhaps a little bit of traveling to pick it up. Most dealers are going to be pushing to move the '13s to make room for the 14s, though those that still have a 12 or two on the lot should be highly motivated.

One thing that you can do is go to the Ram trucks website, and "find a dealer" in your area. You can set the distance range. Go to each individual dealer's website and check their inventory. If you find something that you might like, then give 'em a shout and go from there.

Depends upon how titivated you are, but the worst that will happen is that you waste some time, the best thing is that you'll find the truck of your dreams at a price that you didn't think was possible.

Good luck and be sure to keep us informed as to which route you go.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 09-29-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
In order to find a new '12 you'll have to do some leg work, and perhaps a little bit of traveling to pick it up. Most dealers are going to be pushing to move the '13s to make room for the 14s, though those that still have a 12 or two on the lot should be highly motivated.

One thing that you can do is go to the Ram trucks website, and "find a dealer" in your area. You can set the distance range. Go to each individual dealer's website and check their inventory. If you find something that you might like, then give 'em a shout and go from there.

Depends upon how titivated you are, but the worst that will happen is that you waste some time, the best thing is that you'll find the truck of your dreams at a price that you didn't think was possible.

Good luck and be sure to keep us informed as to which route you go.

Exco
So, it didn't take that long at all to find a 2012 Quad Cab. It's 66 miles away. It's a "Tradesman", I'll assume it's a work truck, is there much of a difference between that and a regular truck?

Hopefully here is the sticker..... http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/window...RD7KP0CS314519

listing for $35k, could I expect $12 off? I know I've seen others post on different sites about their great deals that are very similar. I just suck at negotiations.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj4ndirish View Post
So, it didn't take that long at all to find a 2012 Quad Cab. It's 66 miles away. It's a "Tradesman", I'll assume it's a work truck, is there much of a difference between that and a regular truck?

Hopefully here is the sticker..... http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/window...RD7KP0CS314519

listing for $35k, could I expect $12 off? I know I've seen others post on different sites about their great deals that are very similar. I just suck at negotiations.

Thanks
That's a good find. A tradesman is your basic stock truck. No bells and whistles. And I'm thinking you should be able to get much more than $12K off. Beinst that it is now a 2 year old model, I'd be looking more for $14K to $15K off. And, also, beinst that this is the end of the month, you're more than likely going to get a great deal on it if you go down there tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I agree, you should be able to work a hell of a deal, considering that it's a left over '12 AND they're more than likely to be motivated to get rid of it at the end of the month.

If it has the options that you're looking for, then by all means give 'em a call and see what type of deal they're willing to work for you.

good luck and be sure to keep us updated

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Sadly none of the dealers were willing to deal even after telling them I'm willing to buy sight unseen. That may have been the wrong thing to tell them. Prices they were giving me I could have bought a new 2013 and probably gotten a better deal.

I pointed out that these trucks were 2 model years old and they've just been sitting with obviously no interest. Neither place would come within $5000 of my offers, so I just ended my search.

I did, however, buy a 2010 last night. It's got a little more miles than I wanted, but at least I still have about a year's worth of powertrain warranty left.

Thanks for the in put guys. Next time I'll let one of you go in my place to work a deal