DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT, Quad cab
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
pankster is on a distinguished road
Default Bounce, but not drive shaft balance...

Here is my original post, I thought I would start a new one instead of highjacking the original post.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86296

Can't be a drive shaft balance for me as I only feel the bouncing when I actually go over bumps, not when I'm accelerating. And I feel the bounce at all speeds.... although I do feel a slight vibration when I'm in park. I'm ready to try anything right now cause the bounce drives me crazy.

Upper and lower ball joints? Maybe the rear shocks need to be changed? ARGHHHH!!!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

I'd start with the shocks and see if that cures the bounce. Then I'd have the tires force balanced.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:26
rlsbee is on a distinguished road

Try checking for a broken belt in a tire. If you jack up the tire enough to spin it, you can run your hand lightly over the tread as the tire is spinning. If you have a broken belt you should feel a slight lump. I had this happen to my truck and it drove me crazy. I had a friend who has a shop and he told me that it has become a very common problem.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

I've been having a similar issue with my 06 2500 qc 4x4 that I bought used with 51000 miles on the clock. On the highway at speeds above 60mph when I hit a good bump the front end vibrates. Feels like the axel is going over a washboard. It stops after a short time, or if I hit the brakes. It started very mild at first and I chalked it off to a heavy truck. After a couple of months it was so bad it felt like the whole front end was coming off. I took it to the dealer and they tell me it needs upper and lower ball joints on both sides, an axel shaft that was frozen AND tires since the truck calls for LT tires and the ones on there are passenger tires. I said well those are the tires that YOU sold me the truck with and why didn't anyone check the front end BEFORE I purchased the truck? The guy says "It's tough to tell if an axel is bad with an inspection." I said maybe so but the ball joints should have been obvious AND you failed my last truck for wheel bearings...
Thankfully the ball joints and axel are covered by the warrenty I got with the truck. I told them dont worry about the tires I am getting new wheels and tires soon and I already have new shocks and a leveling kit waiting. $150 deductable and I am out the door and good to go, or so I thougt... The vibration is still there although greatly reduced. I went back to let them know and talked to the service manager and we both agree that at this point it is probably the tires. I tell him to put a note in my file because after I get my new tires, shocks and level put on I will be back if the vibration is not gone and they are NOT going to try and tell me it's the leveling kit!
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM
erm

I did all of the above and, finally, with a road force balance, all was well.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 PM

I've read about the road force balance... but my bouncing happens at all speeds, 5 miles/hour, 50miles/hour. In the previous post I noted that I got new tires, new front shocks, new rack and pinion and new outer tie rod ends. Could it be that I need to replace the rear shocks to balance the truck? The bounce feels like it is in the front, almost as if the shocks aren't tied to the shocks on the first few milimeters of travel.... Does that make sense?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 PM
erm

A tire can go bad. When I got my road force balance done, they found one tire wayyyy outta spec...and they replaced it.

It could be shocks. I replaced mine and it helped dampen the vibration but it was still there.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:44 AM

I knew my dealer had a road force balancer. I mentioned it and we discussed that as a last option.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOZER View Post
I've been having a similar issue with my 06 2500 qc 4x4 that I bought used with 51000 miles on the clock. On the highway at speeds above 60mph when I hit a good bump the front end vibrates. Feels like the axel is going over a washboard. It stops after a short time, or if I hit the brakes. It started very mild at first and I chalked it off to a heavy truck. After a couple of months it was so bad it felt like the whole front end was coming off. I took it to the dealer and they tell me it needs upper and lower ball joints on both sides, an axel shaft that was frozen AND tires since the truck calls for LT tires and the ones on there are passenger tires. I said well those are the tires that YOU sold me the truck with and why didn't anyone check the front end BEFORE I purchased the truck? The guy says "It's tough to tell if an axel is bad with an inspection." I said maybe so but the ball joints should have been obvious AND you failed my last truck for wheel bearings...
Thankfully the ball joints and axel are covered by the warrenty I got with the truck. I told them dont worry about the tires I am getting new wheels and tires soon and I already have new shocks and a leveling kit waiting. $150 deductable and I am out the door and good to go, or so I thougt... The vibration is still there although greatly reduced. I went back to let them know and talked to the service manager and we both agree that at this point it is probably the tires. I tell him to put a note in my file because after I get my new tires, shocks and level put on I will be back if the vibration is not gone and they are NOT going to try and tell me it's the leveling kit!
Well it was the tires. My new tires and wheels landed yesterday and I put them on. I have an appointment for next tuesday to have the level and shocks put on. The tires made a HUGE difference in the way the truck feels and handles.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 PM

Wow, some great posts here, I have been driving the truck for a little while and I can describe the problem better. It's almost like the first inch of travel is not being compensated. I think it may have something to do with the steering as I feel a "dead spot" when I steer back and forth, and I feel it is the same sound the truck front suspension make going over a series of bumps. I had to park in a grass field the other day and the front end just feels very loose. My Honda minivan would feel better compared to the truck! Like I mentioned, I put new rack and pinion, new tie rod ends, new tires and new front struts. The alignment shop found no issues with ball joints. I have seen that my front axle is leaking and will get that fixed up (another gong show). Bought rear shocks to replace to "balance" the truck with the same type of shock, they were on sale so I caved. Driving on a dirt road as well, the truck bounces so much that my back end was swaying bad. I know I've driven trucks that do that with no weight in the rear, but I've done it with my truck before all this work and felt way smoother and in control. This is driving me crazy!!!! I'll probably replace every bloody part just to get rid of the issue..... is it worth taking to the dealership to get checked out?