DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

You deal directly with a shipper theres a few that sell the stuff on the forums and if theres a problem you call them then they deal with the company lol.

i mean you cant beat this deep sexy shine

Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkgriswald View Post
I really don't want to mess up the paint on my new truck so can you get a good finish without out using a machine?

How hard is it to use a DA? I use a DA all the time at work (cabinet finisher) but its not the same thing is it?
You do not have to use a machine, you can apply by hand with excellent results, just may take a bit longer and a little more effort. Don't overlook the Griot's garage machine, they are random orbital and have speed adjustments so less aggressive. I had a bad experience years ago with a machine, mostly because It was a machine better suited in the hands of a more experienced detailer or pro. With the Griot's Garage unit, I found it to be well suited for the occassional detailer and have never had any bad things happen and in fact all good results. There are of course other high quality units out there and worth checking out to see what might be best for your needs.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
Clarkgriswald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
You do not have to use a machine, you can apply by hand with excellent results, just may take a bit longer and a little more effort. Don't overlook the Griot's garage machine, they are random orbital and have speed adjustments so less aggressive. I had a bad experience years ago with a machine, mostly because It was a machine better suited in the hands of a more experienced detailer or pro. With the Griot's Garage unit, I found it to be well suited for the occassional detailer and have never had any bad things happen and in fact all good results. There are of course other high quality units out there and worth checking out to see what might be best for your needs.
I will have to check Griots garage out. I pretty much looked at washes and waxes today. I really like how easy Wolfgang seems to go on and off.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

one of the best WG products ive used is the WG paint sealant...AWESOME stuff.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I will have to check Griots garage out. I pretty much looked at washes and waxes today. I really like how easy Wolfgang seems to go on and off.
No question Wolfgang makes a good line of products as well. Good luck with finding the right product for your needs.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 PM

There are just to many to choose from
Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
There are just to many to choose from
Yes there are and many are excellent products which will give you very good results. You may find you will have to use several before settling on one or two that you like best. I would imagine the recommendations you have received here, were the results of trying at least a couple if not several products.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4X4
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Rep:100
ALLPAR will become famous soon enoughALLPAR will become famous soon enough

As I like Adam's products, you can also look at Zaino at zainostore.com. Zaino lasts longer than most waxes and is extremely easy to apply with Awesome results! It's put on and removed by hand and no danger in damaging the paint. See below for a pic of my truck with Zaino applied. There's alot of great products out there, you just have to find one that suits your taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(1).jpg (130.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
With my truck on order I have been looking for a complete quality wash,wax,polish,sealant kit. I know you probably have to piece it together but what are good products to use. I would need everything from buckets to a polisher. Thanks for your help
There are a couple of truths when it comes to that question.

1) In the end, you can use whatever brand you choose, and you can get the same outcome, perfectly polished paint.

2) There are a million different brands, and they all have a different appeal.
- Some are marketed as very simple, geared moreso towards hobbyists versus bulk sales, and they are expensive [ex: Adams]
- Some are marketed towards professionals but sell consumer labeled products [Meguiars]
- Many different brands are the same or similar formulas. That's not to pull out the Adams v Chemical Guys v Warner Chemicals debate, or Zaino v Duragloss, but look at the house brands of Autogeek with DP, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Blackfire, etc. They are virtually the same products with different labels and prices, all manufactured for Autogeek.

If you are just working on your 1 vehicle, a kit from Adams may be perfect. You get about half of what you need and can get supplementary products a la cart. If you are doing 1 vehicle and want enough product to maintain it for an extended amount of time, or you want to work on numerous vehicles, it may be smart to find the best products in each category and purchase them separately.

I'll give you my take, but by no means do I or anyone else know what's best for you. Find what works and improve on it.

Cleaning the paint - use a car shampoo, even though dish soaps will strip the paint, they don't have sufficient lubrication. I use a citrus wash a lot of the time, but you can just as well use a car shampoo mixed with an all purpose cleaner or dawn. I recommend Optimum Car Wash [my favorite], Adams Car Shampoo, or Griots Car Wash.

Decontamination - I use a Speedy Surface Prep Towel, which is the new and improved clay bar alternative. It works a lot better than clay and lasts significantly longer. However, you can alway use traditional clay. Don't get caught up in the brand, they are almost all made by the same manufacturer due to patent restrictions. You can accelerate the cleaning process with a decontamination spray or wash. Deironizing sprays and soaps are very popular and are offered by CarPro or Wolfs. Many more have popped up lately, but IronX and DeIronizer are originals.

Polishing - When the paint is free from all contamination, continue to polishing. Even though your truck may be new, chances are someone dragged a towel over the surface without proper methods and left marring. You can go over the paint with a polish and increase gloss, or use a compound first to eliminate deeper scratches.

- Polisher - Porter Cable 7424XP, Griots 6", Shurhold, Meguiars DA, Harbor Freight, HD, etc are all suitable brands. The Griots is probably the best option having a 25' power cord and more power and being available for good prices every now and again on Amazon.

- Pads - Tradition foam works well, but the best choice [as of a few years ago] is microfiber pads. Meguiars and Optimum have very popular pads as does Surbuf [but they are very aggressive]. If you were to choose foam pads, look into Lake Country Hydrotech or flat pads. My advice though, is to stick with smaller pads. 5.5" pads are easy to work with and have good coverage. 4" pads cut faster, but it take a lot longer to finish the vehicle, and a 6"+ pad makes it harder to articulate around curves and edges.

- Polishes - This is subjective. If you use a turtle wax polish, chances are you can get a mirror finish but the breakdown of the abrasives won't be as predictable as a professional polish. It will take longer and be more of a hassle. Likewise, you could get Menzerna, or another expensive polish brand and it will cut quicker and finish much better than the turtle wax, but you're paying a lot more. For me, I chose the Meguiars professional line, because it is what professionals use and recommended. Meguiars M105 and M205 where the detailers choice a couple of years ago as they worked flawlessly with foam pads an a DA polisher. Since then, microfiber pads have come out and Meguiars released D300 and M101. The reason I choose these polishes was not because of the name, but the reputation with detailers and the technology involved. Those polishes I listed utilize SMAT [Super Micro Abrasive Technology], which means the polishes don't have a point at which they lose their effectiveness. If you make 1 pass or 10 passes, the abrasives do not break down, they continue to cut. Meaning, if you check the paint after 1 pass and the paint needs more polishing, continue to polish until the paint is perfect whereas a DAT [diminishing abrasives] eventually just become smearing oil when the abrasives become diminished. Whatever polishes you choose, follow the directions to get optimal gloss by working it the appropriate amount of time with the right pressure, pads, etc.

- Sealing - After polishing, remove all the oils from the surface, as sealants can only bond to perfectly clean paint. Aside from a citrus wash or wash with APC, using a 50% Isopropyl Alcohol Solution, wipe down the paint to remove the remaining oils. Then, decide how you want to protect the paint. There are traditional sealants, quick sealants, waxes, hybrids, nano-coatings, permanent coatings, etc. You will get a different look/feel/durability with each choice. *If* you get your paint perfect, it would be a good idea to consider a permanent coating. Opticoat is the best option on the market right now. There are other options that last 6 months to 1 year that work great, and there are options that last 1 month that look fantastic. Find what you want and use what you want. For quickness, I love Optimum Optiseal, for durable waxes I use Collinite, for nanocoatings I use Wolfs Chemicals, and then Opticoat for my permanent coating.

- Maintenance - Arguably the most important part. Use grit guards in your buckets [multiple buckets], clean wash mitts, and a good car shampoo. Dry with as little contact as possibly. If I can, after I wash my car I sheet the water off, then use compressed air to remove the rest of the water. I finish with a quick detailer sprayed on the paint and removed with a plush microfiber. The quick detailer adds lubricity to prevent scratching and it aids in the durability of the protection.

Here are a few images demonstrating products I've used.

Meguiars M205

Before paint

During

M105 - You can see it eliminates the scratching but doesn't leave the paint perfect

After M205 - Finishing polish

M105/M205

Before

After

Here is our 2005 Magnum RT with 106k miles

My Avenger with 95k miles

Hope this helps, or at least gives some perspective. Let us know what you go with! And I'll probably find errors in this post and edit it again, but you should alway take what I say with a grain of salt.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
There are a couple of truths when it comes to that question.

1) In the end, you can use whatever brand you choose, and you can get the same outcome, perfectly polished paint.

2) There are a million different brands, and they all have a different appeal.
- Some are marketed as very simple, geared moreso towards hobbyists versus bulk sales, and they are expensive [ex: Adams]
- Some are marketed towards professionals but sell consumer labeled products [Meguiars]
- Many different brands are the same or similar formulas. That's not to pull out the Adams v Chemical Guys v Warner Chemicals debate, or Zaino v Duragloss, but look at the house brands of Autogeek with DP, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Blackfire, etc. They are virtually the same products with different labels and prices, all manufactured for Autogeek.

If you are just working on your 1 vehicle, a kit from Adams may be perfect. You get about half of what you need and can get supplementary products a la cart. If you are doing 1 vehicle and want enough product to maintain it for an extended amount of time, or you want to work on numerous vehicles, it may be smart to find the best products in each category and purchase them separately.

I'll give you my take, but by no means do I or anyone else know what's best for you. Find what works and improve on it.

Cleaning the paint - use a car shampoo, even though dish soaps will strip the paint, they don't have sufficient lubrication. I use a citrus wash a lot of the time, but you can just as well use a car shampoo mixed with an all purpose cleaner or dawn. I recommend Optimum Car Wash [my favorite], Adams Car Shampoo, or Griots Car Wash.

Decontamination - I use a Speedy Surface Prep Towel, which is the new and improved clay bar alternative. It works a lot better than clay and lasts significantly longer. However, you can alway use traditional clay. Don't get caught up in the brand, they are almost all made by the same manufacturer due to patent restrictions. You can accelerate the cleaning process with a decontamination spray or wash. Deironizing sprays and soaps are very popular and are offered by CarPro or Wolfs. Many more have popped up lately, but IronX and DeIronizer are originals.

Polishing - When the paint is free from all contamination, continue to polishing. Even though your truck may be new, chances are someone dragged a towel over the surface without proper methods and left marring. You can go over the paint with a polish and increase gloss, or use a compound first to eliminate deeper scratches.

- Polisher - Porter Cable 7424XP, Griots 6", Shurhold, Meguiars DA, Harbor Freight, HD, etc are all suitable brands. The Griots is probably the best option having a 25' power cord and more power and being available for good prices every now and again on Amazon.

- Pads - Tradition foam works well, but the best choice [as of a few years ago] is microfiber pads. Meguiars and Optimum have very popular pads as does Surbuf [but they are very aggressive]. If you were to choose foam pads, look into Lake Country Hydrotech or flat pads. My advice though, is to stick with smaller pads. 5.5" pads are easy to work with and have good coverage. 4" pads cut faster, but it take a lot longer to finish the vehicle, and a 6"+ pad makes it harder to articulate around curves and edges.

- Polishes - This is subjective. If you use a turtle wax polish, chances are you can get a mirror finish but the breakdown of the abrasives won't be as predictable as a professional polish. It will take longer and be more of a hassle. Likewise, you could get Menzerna, or another expensive polish brand and it will cut quicker and finish much better than the turtle wax, but you're paying a lot more. For me, I chose the Meguiars professional line, because it is what professionals use and recommended. Meguiars M105 and M205 where the detailers choice a couple of years ago as they worked flawlessly with foam pads an a DA polisher. Since then, microfiber pads have come out and Meguiars released D300 and M101. The reason I choose these polishes was not because of the name, but the reputation with detailers and the technology involved. Those polishes I listed utilize SMAT [Super Micro Abrasive Technology], which means the polishes don't have a point at which they lose their effectiveness. If you make 1 pass or 10 passes, the abrasives do not break down, they continue to cut. Meaning, if you check the paint after 1 pass and the paint needs more polishing, continue to polish until the paint is perfect whereas a DAT [diminishing abrasives] eventually just become smearing oil when the abrasives become diminished. Whatever polishes you choose, follow the directions to get optimal gloss by working it the appropriate amount of time with the right pressure, pads, etc.

- Sealing - After polishing, remove all the oils from the surface, as sealants can only bond to perfectly clean paint. Aside from a citrus wash or wash with APC, using a 50% Isopropyl Alcohol Solution, wipe down the paint to remove the remaining oils. Then, decide how you want to protect the paint. There are traditional sealants, quick sealants, waxes, hybrids, nano-coatings, permanent coatings, etc. You will get a different look/feel/durability with each choice. *If* you get your paint perfect, it would be a good idea to consider a permanent coating. Opticoat is the best option on the market right now. There are other options that last 6 months to 1 year that work great, and there are options that last 1 month that look fantastic. Find what you want and use what you want. For quickness, I love Optimum Optiseal, for durable waxes I use Collinite, for nanocoatings I use Wolfs Chemicals, and then Opticoat for my permanent coating.

- Maintenance - Arguably the most important part. Use grit guards in your buckets [multiple buckets], clean wash mitts, and a good car shampoo. Dry with as little contact as possibly. If I can, after I wash my car I sheet the water off, then use compressed air to remove the rest of the water. I finish with a quick detailer sprayed on the paint and removed with a plush microfiber. The quick detailer adds lubricity to prevent scratching and it aids in the durability of the protection.

Here are a few images demonstrating products I've used.

Meguiars M205

Before paint

During

M105 - You can see it eliminates the scratching but doesn't leave the paint perfect

After M205 - Finishing polish

M105/M205

Before

After

Here is our 2005 Magnum RT with 106k miles

My Avenger with 95k miles

Hope this helps, or at least gives some perspective. Let us know what you go with! And I'll probably find errors in this post and edit it again, but you should alway take what I say with a grain of salt.
Awesome right up thank you. Being totally new to detailing I just want easy products to use and provide a great finish. If I get the paint protection where you don't have to wax for years do you think it's worth it and could I use a Sealer over the top of the protectant?