DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
That clip and the product advertised would have held more credibility if the 4-wheeler had rode all the way up into the bed.

Grub out!
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT-Big Horn
Color: Blue, Sexy Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:66
seanbeckaroo will become famous soon enough

No need to worry about that tailgate tire; the weight of the engine is in the bed, and with kickstand down, you could haul that beautiful beermer to Alaska! I miss my ol' K100, was a blast driving down the Oregon coast in April!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Rep:10
Repsol69 is on a distinguished road

I have a Harley Street Glide.. Do u think it would fit up in the bed???
Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I have an 09 1250 Bandit.It weighs about 550. I carry it in the back of my truck from time to time.
I load it by letting the bike do the work. I have the engine running in 1st gear.
I have 1 ramp for the bike and 1 for me. I walk up the other ramp while holding the bike and feathering the clutch and the bike climbs the ramp.
It sounds a bit scary, but works well.
I try to find a hill to back up to when I unload to cut the angle the ramps are at.
I have never worried about the strength of the cables. I believe they are more than strong enough. A guy at my work once pushed down on a tailgate with a forklift by mistake. The tailgate bent in the centre, and the cables held.
The Bandit is one of the best (and highly underrated) bikes out there. I had a '99 B12 - best motor EVER!

I owned an '04 Hayabusa after the Bandit and now have an '07 BMW R1200RT.
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designflaw View Post
You should never haul a bike on its kickstand. There are multiple reasons, a couple of the easy ones: 1. The suspension of the bike is now locked, the jamming against bumps has cracked frames. 2. you are pulling the weight of the bike down on 2 sq. in. as well as at an angle all of which stresses the straps. Beds dent, I've seen wood floors give out, kick stands break and the right hand straps give way etc...
^^^This^^^

I've been riding ~25+ years and agree 100%.

Sidestands are typically cast pieces designed to hold a small fraction of the bikes weight. Think about how much of the bikes weight you "lift" when you tip the bike upright off the sidestand.

They are not engineered to handle any type of dynamic loads whatsoever. Properly cinching down on the straps on an improperly loaded (sitting on sidestand) bike adds tremendous loads to the stand.

I've seen people strap bikes down on the centre stand as well - essentially just as bad. Where the sidestand was taking ~1/3 of the load (shared with both tires) the centre stand is being asked to take most of the weight of the bike.

With either stand scenario, you're also defeating any benefits from the bikes suspension.
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
^^^This^^^

I've been riding ~25+ years and agree 100%.

Sidestands are typically cast pieces designed to hold a small fraction of the bikes weight. Think about how much of the bikes weight you "lift" when you tip the bike upright off the sidestand.

They are not engineered to handle any type of dynamic loads whatsoever. Properly cinching down on the straps on an improperly loaded (sitting on sidestand) bike adds tremendous loads to the stand.

I've seen people strap bikes down on the centre stand as well - essentially just as bad. Where the sidestand was taking ~1/3 of the load (shared with both tires) the centre stand is being asked to take most of the weight of the bike.

With either stand scenario, you're also defeating any benefits from the bikes suspension.
I've been riding 26 years and NEVER had any problem with kickstands! Old wives tale to be sure. Once the forks are compressed, they hold the weight, not the kickstand. The stand is just a stabilzer; and if you are properly strapped to the bed of the truck, there will be no movement in the bike, as it will become a part of the bed, thus, riding on the vehicle suspension! The side stand is a stabilizer, the center stand is load-bearing, different animal. I would not go to far on a center stand, unless the front wheel what wrenched down and touching the bed, thus, changing the weight pivot point, and the center stand becomes a stabilizer!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Rep:10
NewfoundlandRam is on a distinguished road

Nice bike, had my Heritage Softail in the back of mine with no issues either
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Grubrunner
that ad was to show how the tailgate bars work & the added strength & stability is another plus
http://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/product.html

Don't watch unless you want to laugh & cry

I have read too many posts about the tailgate bouncing up & bad things happening to the tailgate when it drops onto the hitch or bouncing on the road, in both cases, the wire cables were still attached
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Grubrunner
that ad was to show how the tailgate bars work & the added strength & stability is another plus
http://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/product.html

Don't watch unless you want to laugh & cry

I have read too many posts about the tailgate bouncing up & bad things happening to the tailgate when it drops onto the hitch or bouncing on the road, in both cases, the wire cables were still attached
What's really funny, if these people the time prepping their load instead of filming, they probably would have been better off. Still some great laughs, thanks!