DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion Have you had a good experience with your Dodge Ram Dealer? Had a bad one? Let us know about it in here! - Dodge Ram Production Questions - Order Status - VIN Tracking - Etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
JoeRamMD is on a distinguished road
Default Hello and Carbon buildup on V6 & 8spd

Hello all, first time posting, been an observer for a while.
I wanted to share my experience at the dealer:
I have a 2013 1500 crew cab outdoorsman 4x4 rambox V6 with 34,000 miles on it, bought new 2yrs ago and haven't done anything outside routine oil changes until last week.
i had all the common issues reported on here 1. Rough downshift at low speeds 2.service vehicle phone message on uconnect 8.4N, 3.degrading MPGs. I love the truck the V6 performs great for my 70 mile round trip commute and weekend warrior tasks, tailgating, family vacations, etc.
Anyway after reading the forum I did an engineering reset and updated uconnect to version 14.25.5 it took a half hour or so and it eliminated the error message and activated the pandora radio feature. Nice! Thanks for the advice!
I took my truck to dealer to do a full check before 36k warranty ran out to address the transmission and fuel mileage.
Dealer did a flash update to transmission. The truck feels like they dropped a brand new transmission in it. Shifts are smooth as silk and more confident on freeway, hills, and around town. I couldn't be happier, but surprised at how poor it was programmed from the factory. The transmission has near perfect shift points at what seems like optimal RPMs at all speeds. I would highly recommend anyone get the latest software upgrade from dealer if they are having problems.

The service manager called to tell me there was excessive carbon build up on engine, throttle body, intake (I'm not a mechanic) that was likely causing the loss in MPGs. In the first 20,000 miles I had no problem achieving 20-23+ mpg on easy highway drives. More recently it's been a struggle to get to 18 MPG. To make a long story short they suggested they do a cleaning treatment to remove the carbon deposits, I agreed. When I got it back they warned me the check engine light may come on bc of the cleaner. A few days later the light is on as expected. I guess I'll run a few tanks of gas through to see if the light goes off, if not I'll disconnect the battery. Hopefully it goes away.
Other than that The big thing I instantly noticed was the improvement in MPG and responsiveness. I'm back to 20-21 on my daily commute (from 17-18). I'm thrilled!
The dealer took care of my truck for some extra $, but $ well spent for a non gearhead like me!
They suggested a fuel additive every 5,000 miles or so help with buildup. Also I'm going to limit my unbranded fuel purchases from sheetz, highs, and royal farms which are very common in my area.
Mechanic said carbon build up is a common issue on the high efficiency V6s. I'm assuming driving habits, climate, oil, fuel quality all play a part.
I consider it a success story, it feels like a brand new truck! So anybody down and out about some similar issues I'm sharing what worked for me! The truck literally drives better than the first day I picked it up from the dealer with 3 miles on!

Last edited by JoeRamMD; 04-22-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You should NOT have a check engine light on a few days after a fuel system service; you have another problem that needs to be checked out. In fact, if the service is done correctly, the light should never come on at all. This is a strong indication that the technician didn't drive your truck as he's supposed to in order to burn off any residual cleaner left in the intake. If the light comes on then, he can finish the test drive and then clear the codes before returning it to you.