DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
xRUSTYx is on a distinguished road
Default Preventing Rust at HID Grounding Point(s)

Hey Guys ...

Installed my HID's last week, and they are working great. I did have a quick question however.

I did lather up all the grounding point of the HID kit. As most of you know, you have to drill in to the actual frame, and take a bit of paint off to get a good ground. Wondering if there is anything I can lather that connection point with to keep it from rusting? The washer that has been lathered up covers a majority of the bare metal, I just wasn't sure if there is a good coating to put over top?

I don't really want to just spray rustoleum up over top of it ~ and was thinking about lathering up some vasoline or something some sort of similar grease that will stay put for a couple of years at a time. Making it easy to under if needed. I fear that by spraying/painting rustoleum over the top will 1) Not only make it look bad 2) Make it a bear to remove, should I need to clean the connections some day

So, your thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRUSTYx View Post
Hey Guys ...

Installed my HID's last week, and they are working great. I did have a quick question however.

I did lather up all the grounding point of the HID kit. As most of you know, you have to drill in to the actual frame, and take a bit of paint off to get a good ground. Wondering if there is anything I can lather that connection point with to keep it from rusting? The washer that has been lathered up covers a majority of the bare metal, I just wasn't sure if there is a good coating to put over top?

I don't really want to just spray rustoleum up over top of it ~ and was thinking about lathering up some vasoline or something some sort of similar grease that will stay put for a couple of years at a time. Making it easy to under if needed. I fear that by spraying/painting rustoleum over the top will 1) Not only make it look bad 2) Make it a bear to remove, should I need to clean the connections some day

So, your thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Any type of spray lube/penetrant will work, or coat it with dielectric grease and see how that holds up?

If you don't have access to spray rust proofers like Rust Check or Krown, use Fluid Film.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Spray your grounding bolts with this stuff, it will never rust.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/eastwood-...an/p/EW13651Z/

use this stuff on your frame area's that you see rust also, does a great job of converting any present rust and the protecting it.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Any type of spray lube/penetrant will work, or coat it with dielectric grease and see how that holds up?

If you don't have access to spray rust proofers like Rust Check or Krown, use Fluid Film.
Yeah, I was just going to fully coat in dielectric grease and check every month or two to see how its holding up. May still go this option if I don't find anything better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Spray your grounding bolts with this stuff, it will never rust.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/eastwood-...an/p/EW13651Z/

use this stuff on your frame area's that you see rust also, does a great job of converting any present rust and the protecting it.
This looks PERFECT! Does it come off easily though, if I'd like to clean them in a year or so, or God forbid, something happens to that connection?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Rep:11
firemarshallvin is on a distinguished road

forget grounding to the frame, simply run a ground directly to the batt. or find an existing point in the engine compartment.

Add-ons:
BAK FiberMax Tonneau
Old 05-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemarshallvin View Post
forget grounding to the frame, simply run a ground directly to the batt. or find an existing point in the engine compartment.
Its already been done firemarshallvin ... There were no grounding locations down near the headlights. Everything was up in the bay, and I didn't feel like running more wire throughout the bay for all the grounds the HID's needed

1 self tapping screw on each side and I could take care of both.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

After some more research, think I will pick this up from Lowes this afternoon. Its similiar to fluid film, but I can pick it up immediately and get it done this weekend instead of having to wait to get fluid film shipped

http://www.lowes.com/pd_363002-357-3..._#BVRRWidgetID

Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, or if you want, get a can of lithium white grease, easily removable if you want to get your connection.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Cool, or if you want, get a can of lithium white grease, easily removable if you want to get your connection.
That's exactly the goal I had in mind

All of these silicone/wax/grease products should work. That rubberized version (while super cool) would work great, however, I just don't know what it would be like trying to get off should I ever need to get to the connection/grounding point
Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

That looks like a new type of WD-40? Not sure how good it is, but it would have to be waaaay better than the original for me to ever use it.