DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
future1344 is on a distinguished road
Default Plasti dip paint on chrome wheels

Hey!

Any one have painted their wheels with this new plasti dip black paint?

I have a 2012 Ram sport with the chrome 20 inch wheels, will the paint stick to the chrome plastic surface?

cheers
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge RAM
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame red
Rep:20
Marklariusz is on a distinguished road

I've done it. Plasti dip goes on very well on the chrome rims. I also did all the decals, grill and antenna.

Pics can be found here: http://www.ramforumz.com/album.php?albumid=921
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport CC 4x4
Color: Red
Rep:74
hemipowerv8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by future1344 View Post
Hey!

Any one have painted their wheels with this new plasti dip black paint?

I have a 2012 Ram sport with the chrome 20 inch wheels, will the paint stick to the chrome plastic surface?

cheers
Several on here have done this and it looks great and holds up pretty well! Considering the cost and how good it looks there is no reason not to.

I have done several vehicles this way over the past year or so, and suggest getting a floor jack and jack stands and pulling wheels off the truck to do it right.

Other quick tips...Prep is most important. MUST BE CLEAN! Use a solution of distilled or mineral water and rubbing alcohol (50/50). No dust, no chemicals, etc. Pulling the wheels off keeps you from over spraying on the truck and brakes. If you over spray on the tires it just peels off no problem. First couple coats should be dusting then move to light coats, then a bit heavier. But to prevent runs and sags don't spray too heavily or slowly. I would suggest a MINIMUM of 5 coats, and prop the wheel/tire up on a brick or something (all on top of some plastic so you don't coat your garage/driveway). Personally I just get 4 cans for 4 wheels and spray each over and over with about 10-15 minutes between coats until each can by each wheel is empty so that way I know I got plenty on there. To make sure it's even, after about 3 coats I would carefully move the wheel so the opposite side is propped up on the brick/block. This way you get multiple angles and helps insure more even coverage.
You should be able to get them near perfect in this fashion. Dip is easily repairable unlike powder coating so if you get a small tear or rough spot it can be fixed on the truck...or worst case pull that one wheel off and redo the whole job - peel the dip all off. Clean. Start over. Done in 2 hours.
Mods: Tint, Line-X spray in, PD emblems, Weathertech mats, Honeycomb grille, Mopar tow hooks, Magnaflow 18" and Y, Bilstein 5100s @ 2.1" & TGC rear spacer .75", Toyo All terrains 35x12.50x20, 5" black tips, BakFlip tonneau cover, 87mm tb
Next: Gorilla lifetime lug nuts, CAI, Diablo tune.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport CC 4x4
Color: Red
Rep:74
hemipowerv8 will become famous soon enough

I also did my emblems and for the first time, did exhaust tips last week. Holding up well so far on the tips! The grille is also a good place to dip and looks great.

Antennas I have little success with...I don't think I have put it on thick enough. Will try this again. And plan to do my wheels after I get new tires on in a few months.
Mods: Tint, Line-X spray in, PD emblems, Weathertech mats, Honeycomb grille, Mopar tow hooks, Magnaflow 18" and Y, Bilstein 5100s @ 2.1" & TGC rear spacer .75", Toyo All terrains 35x12.50x20, 5" black tips, BakFlip tonneau cover, 87mm tb
Next: Gorilla lifetime lug nuts, CAI, Diablo tune.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

did my 22'' chrome wheels to see if i liked black it went on great and came off even better

Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Rep:57
WIexpress will become famous soon enough

Mark,

That looks great, I have the same color Express. What did you use to clean your wheels before, and how many coats and time in between did you do? Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red Pearl Tricoat
Rep:10
JP735 is on a distinguished road

I did my wheels, lower bumpers, and emblems with black. Came out well though there is a slight learning curve...

Clean the surface with a good grease and wax remover or denatured alcohol. Spray a very light tack coat and give it 10-15 minutes. Then cover with two or more regular coats with 10 minutes or so between and it will look good. Keep the rattle can 6-8 inches off the surface and keep it pretty square to the wheel. If you mess up a small area you can use mineral spirits or paint thinner to dissolve the plasti-dip allowing you to re-cover it. Check out the website dipyourcar.com for tips and videos...