DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: What Compact/Midsize truck did you own before a Ram
Ford Ranger/Sport Trac/Mazda Bseries 13 19.40%
Toyota Tacoma/Hilux 9 13.43%
Nissan Frontier/Suzuki Equator/Hardbody Truck 4 5.97%
GM/Isuzu S10/S15/i-series/Colorado/Canyon 15 22.39%
Dodge Dakota/ Mitsubishi Raider 22 32.84%
Honda Ridgeline 0 0%
Other 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
For the sake of forum sanity and ban avoidance I'm dropping this argument.
I'm not looking for you or anyone to get banned. Just going by the facts provided by reputable Journalistic sources.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I will say one thing. Props to Honda for making the stock intake ram air.

I honestly don't have an issue with a sideways mounted engine. However, with that you basically rule out RWD and 4WD, so that's where the problem is. The engine bay in those pictures really does look like an accord or cr-v...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rango88 View Post
I'm not looking for you or anyone to get banned. Just going by the facts provided by reputable Journalistic sources.
I know you're not out to get anyone banned but I'm trying to keep myself in check to keep from being banned.

Only reason I even said anything, it sickens me to hear a ridgeline called a truck when it's clearly not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I will say one thing. Props to Honda for making the stock intake ram air.

I honestly don't have an issue with a sideways mounted engine. However, with that you basically rule out RWD and 4WD, so that's where the problem is. The engine bay in those pictures really does look like an accord or cr-v...
Plus having a tiny little transaxle, prolly no LSD and first time you pull anything near towing capacity I can already see that dinky trans burning up.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

IMHO arguing what is or isn't a truck misses the fact (particularly now) that the definition is a moving target. Honda created a new hybrid ladder frame/unibody construction for the Ridgeline; that construction isn't universally recognised as a truck but in decade it might be common place in light duty pickups. It has a dual opening tailgate, what kind of truck has that? Personally, I'd love that feature on my Ram.

Not that many years ago many would have said a "real" truck doesn't have rear coil springs. Heck, on the Ford forum I bet there are those who still say it. Does a real truck have a sun roof or heated and cooled seats? Is a real truck lowered? Does it come with a video screen in the ceiling? Real trucks are more than they ever were. Almost gone are the days of a spartan cabin, upholstered in vinyl with an 8" bed. What people use "trucks" for is changing and so are the trucks offered.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programme. I came from a midsize but not a pickup. I drove Astro vans for a number of years. Based on the Chevy S10, they towed well, had loads of interior space, got 20 mpg on the highway and could be counted on for 200,000 mile plus. Unfortunately Chevy killed them rather than update them. Since, mini vans can't tow and full size vans have the style of a school bus, I looked at midsize trucks. The interior space simply sucked. So, I drove the Ram and fell in love.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!

Last edited by highlandchef; 05-04-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Porsche makes a 4 door suv they classify as a truck and its not a truck and it will prob blow away 99% of the rams
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
IMHO arguing what is or isn't a truck misses the fact (particularly now) that the definition is a moving target. Honda created a new hybrid ladder frame/unibody construction for the Ridgeline; that construction isn't universally recognised as a truck but in decade it might be common place in light duty pickups. It has a dual opening tailgate, what kind of truck has that? Personally, I'd love that feature on my Ram.

Not that many years ago many would have said a "real" truck doesn't have rear coil springs. Heck, on the Ford forum I bet there are those who still say it. Does a real truck have a sun roof or heated and cooled seats? Is a real truck lowered? Does it come with a video screen in the ceiling? Real trucks are more than they ever were. Almost gone are the days of a spartan cabin, upholstered in vinyl with an 8" bed. What people use "trucks" for is changing and so are the trucks offered.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programme. I came from a midsize but not a pickup. I drove Astro vans for a number of years. Based on the Chevy S10, they towed well, had loads of interior space, got 20 mpg on the highway and could be counted on for 200,000 mile plus. Unfortunately Chevy killed them rather than update them. Since, mini vans can't tow and full size vans have the style of a school bus, I looked at midsize trucks. The interior space simply sucked. So, I drove the Ram and fell in love.
Valid points on all fronts
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I could definitely see that happening in the future. If I had to pick a hybrid vehicle like the Ridgeline, though, I would go with the Avalanche. The fact that the Ridgeline has the V6 is absurd. I often wonder why people would spend such money on that vehicle. Maybe it's the reliability facade of Honda. Who knows. The Avalanche has so many features - the bed cover, mid gate, side of box Rambox style storage, etc. However, price keeps me away from the Avalanche (as well as a lot of people I'm sure). When I can get a crew cab 6.4 bed truck for many many thousands cheaper, how could I go for the Avalanche?

Quote:
Those ford guys that say that are getting rattled around in that cab though. I drove my father in law's 2012 F150 and the ride is terrible compared to the Ram 1500. Since the capabilities of both trucks are basically the same I do not understand why other manufacturers are not going to coils for the light duty trucks yet.

Last edited by titanman2789; 06-05-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

Compared to the 91 freightliner on springs, not air, I drive everything else rides like a Cadillac.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Vaguely exact

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3148
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

I owned a '90 Dakota RCLB 4X2 for a few years. Great little truck. I didn't go right from that to my currant '12, but the differences are astronomical!!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:10
2010laramine is on a distinguished road

I went from a 2012 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4 Tacoma to a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4. We needed the room and I missed the full size truck!