DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough
Default Is the Y pipe worth it?

Hello Everyone,

Thinking about installing the Magnaflow Y pipe and eliminating the resonators. I already have a magnaflow 14' muffler.....is it worth the time and money? Any advice appreciated. Happy Hemi day!

Scott
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

I think, think mind you, that the factory y-pipe is designed the way it is to increase off-line torque and matched to the RPM that the engine runs 99% of the time. If I was going for better flow I would use the Flowmaster Y-Collector #Y214300. It has much better transition from 2 into 1 exhaust flow for better midrange and wide open throttle horse power. Mine, I'm leaving it stock, I like torque.
How would you know?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

While oldhp's thought have merit, if you want to start flowing more air then the y-pipe is a must. The very design of the factory y-pipe makes me cringe when I think about the compression that the heated air stream has to undergo before it vents into a much larger reservoir, killing flow velocity and increasing backpressure.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:41 PM

oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

I agree for better upper RPM flow you need bigger I.D. pipe. But that high compressed air velocity going into a large reservoir (3" O.D. pipe) is almost exactly like a torque pipe on motorcycle engine exhaust. They did it for reason I believe. If it caused that much of a restriction, wouldn't you think it would restrict MPG, let alone HP & torque?
I don't know tomato/tomatoe, only the exhaust/engine designers know for sure.
How would you know?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I believe it's a wise investment given is relative cheap price and install.

Equally important, and worth it, is the crimped LHS bank OEM pipe that runs under the trasmission.

Grub out!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

For the best results increasing AirFlow into the engine is a must for this you are going to want a larger throttle body, and preferably and Vararam or S&B, (I prefer Vararam as it shows better numbers, and IMO looks 100 times but), when this is done changing the mid pipe between the cats and the y pipe is preferred, along with the crushed y pipe, and you already have a muffler ready to go so thats good , and of coarse a tuner with a custom tune, that is about the most you are going to get done as far as basic bolt on goes and you will not be disappointed that is for sure.

If you need pricing on anything just let me know I would be more than happy to get you the best deals around, weather it is 1 part at a time or multiple

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance
Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to everyone for your comments with this. When Im ready to spend $$ i'll be in touch with you Jeremiah
Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayhemiST View Post
Thanks to everyone for your comments with this. When Im ready to spend $$ i'll be in touch with you Jeremiah
Sounds good I will be here

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance
Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
I agree for better upper RPM flow you need bigger I.D. pipe. But that high compressed air velocity going into a large reservoir (3" O.D. pipe) is almost exactly like a torque pipe on motorcycle engine exhaust. They did it for reason I believe. If it caused that much of a restriction, wouldn't you think it would restrict MPG, let alone HP & torque?
I don't know tomato/tomatoe, only the exhaust/engine designers know for sure.
Very good comparison sir! I also think the resrictive OE "Y" after the CAT's were made to function with the MDS. A little Backpressure is good from low to midrange but wide open throttle, no backpressure obviously is best.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 PM

I never thought of it that way with the MDS. Your right it would make even more sense the way it is designed.
Is anybody getting more MPG with the y-pipe modification and "not" using MDS?
How would you know?