DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > MOPAR NATION - Dodge Ram Club Regional Chapters! > Dodge Ram Forum CANADA

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
samm2181 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy First 24 hours and the engine light is on

Picked up a new to me 2013 Ram 1500 laramie longhorn (already 30k on it) on Monday night, I put $40 of regular gas in it from Petro Canada last night and within minutes the engine light came on and the ECO wont activate.....frustrating! I read up on here the few things it might be and found out the ECO wont work if the engine light is on (DUMB) the dealer will run the diagnostics tonight on it hopefully its something stupid and cheap even though we still have warranty.

I read in the manual that low quality fuel can cause an issue, I know this station is super busy and goes through 2 to 4 tankers a week so I don't think its old gas and there did not seem to be anything wrong with the pump.

Anyone else have trouble with Petro Canada gas in GTA region? Thanks

The gas mileage is horrible without the ECO, what a difference!
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Express
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Rep:92
Graygoose will become famous soon enough

Check gas door and cap? Disconnect battery, let it sit for a few minutes, re-attach, that will reset computer.

2011 White Ram Express, KMC Slides, Nitto 420s 22's,Extang Trifecta, GF leveling kit, KICKER sound system,CodeAlarm remote start, '13 Retroshop Headlights and Tail lights, Bedrug, MGP Caliper covers, LED reverse lights, AAC interior LED and licence plate LEDs, BT Catch Can,Weathertech mats
Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2454
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graygoose View Post
Check gas door and cap? Disconnect battery, let it sit for a few minutes, re-attach, that will reset computer.
X2 on the gas cap since the engine light came on after refuelling. If a loose cap is the cause it should clear on it's own after a few start/stop cycles.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2767
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah those damn gas caps can cause that problem. Something so simple, but could give an annoying headache. Petro Canada has good gas grade, so I highly doubt it would be their fuel causing an issue.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: Bright White
shreddy is on a distinguished road

my gas cap indicator is on on my '13....... user guide says to push the select button to clear it after reinstalling the cap....... select button? I always use petro, or Costco.... never had a fuel problem until this gas cap light, but I doubt they are related.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yeah this one has the gas cap indicator too but that did not light up.

We took it to the dealer tonight, they said it was a faulty valve and something about vapour...honestly i think its just a cash grab for them because its under warranty; so they had to order the part and said we had to come back; thing is when we got back in and started it up engine light off and all is working again so ???
I don't trust this place at all, gah really love the truck just dislike the dealership so much.

Good to know about the gas, I used that same station for 2 years so I also don't think it was the gas.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The engine light came on again so whatever we need to get this part I guess...sigh hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
mopar44o is on a distinguished road

I use petro Canada exclusively. Great rewards program... Points plus 2cent master card.

Is there a way to check error codes without using a scanner? Like the key method on older cars?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So the truck went in overnight and was fixed, they replaced the purge solenoid valve, the next day the light came on again. from some internet research it seems there is some kind of EVAP problem that can take a while to fix and be hard to pin point the source.

Its going back in maybe on saturday or next week I still don't trust this dealership we will be taking to a different one and see if they can fix this for good.

The worst part about it is the ECO won't work if the engine light is on so its costing a lot in gas right now.

PS - if you end up getting a rental car for warranty service; the gas replacement is not covered neither is any insurance so it does cost a little out of pocket. I didn't drive it very much, so far 30 for the insurance and 10 for gas. If you have car rental insurance on your credit card it won't be activated for the rental since your not paying for the rental on the card.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:2454
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

That really sucks hope you get it corrected soon. I've found that in the city or stop and go traffic the MDS does not really help too much on fuel consumption. It's at highway speeds where it really starts to help. IMO