DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
Ddaaryl is on a distinguished road

I looked hard at Toyota back in 2008 when I bought my first Hemi. The rebates available from Chrysler were a deal breaker for the Toyota. A well equipt Ram was less money than a stripped 2007 Toyota.

Recently I traded a 2010 Ram Big Horn for a 2013 Express for $6k plus the trade after three years and 32,000 miles. Driving a new Hemi for $2k/year seemed like a good deal for me as far as resale value.
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 08 toyota tacoma
Rep:10
willypct is on a distinguished road

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.I'm gonna go for a test drive tommorow and I see were ill go from
Their. By the way my taco is a crew cab sr5. So far it seems the intelligent thing to do is to wait for the 2014 models. From what I've read here ,the 2013 models are showing up with a lot of problems. But lets see how the test drive goes tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Prairie Pearl
Rep:20
joelweb is on a distinguished road

I don't think there are a lot of problems, but I think the problems that do exist show up on this forum.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willypct View Post
Hey guys thanks for all the replies.I'm gonna go for a test drive tommorow and I see were ill go from
Their. By the way my taco is a crew cab sr5. So far it seems the intelligent thing to do is to wait for the 2014 models. From what I've read here ,the 2013 models are showing up with a lot of problems. But lets see how the test drive goes tomorrow.
Willy, I've been looking for REAL problems with the 2013. I don't rate a uConnect issue as a REAL problem, although I can see a lot of folks on here do and I can empathize. What's VERY important to me is the drivetrain reliability. Are there problems with this? I saw one report on here (I know, not EVERYONE owning a 2013 is a member here) of a bad valve on a hemi (correct me if I read wrong).

I still own a 2003 Tundra SR5 stepside 4x4 that had and still has two issues that Toyota corporate refused to address, weak LEAF springs that just lost their capacity inexplicably, and a front end "clunk" that just won't go away. I took it to 3 dealers over the 7 years I had it under warranty and all of them tried, and failed, to rectify these 2 issues. It wasn't a case of lazy dealers either, they ALL did a lot of part swapping (for the front end)...interestingly NONE of them did anything for the rear (per corp. Toyota lack of interest).

Good thing my wife LOVES the Tundra and has claimed it as hers, and I have confidence in the quality of the drivetrain of this truck to last 300k or more the way we take care of it. Since she won't be pulling trailers with 9000# across the state of Texas like this Ram will, it's a great truck for her and the 3 kids left in the house to go run errands and bring home some feed and hay for the livestock from time to time. This Ram is going to do some heavy pulling for a few times a year, so I'll be giving everyone here an earful if/when (heaven forbid) problems surface. Hint: the Toyota fanboys of tundrasolutions.org weren't very fond of my posts exposing the problems with the beloved Tundra, but they tolerated it and I think in an indirect way Toyota was reading them since EVERYTHING I had a problem with was completely redesigned in the next generation of Tundra's: weak rear suspension, troublesome brake warp-age(although mine had the upgraded brakes), etc.

So Willy (or anyone reading this), please do me a favor while I'm in my 30 day window to cancel my contract and help me find all those problems I can't seem to find. P.S. I'm not being a smart-*ss at all, please don't think I am, I'm just wanting to be a fully informed consumer, that's all.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I have to admit I like Tacoma's. The guy I work with had one with a small lift and some bigger tires. Was a good looking truck and held it's value when he traded for the Tundra he has. My problem is for a small truck his gas mileage was terrible and to me it just felt cramped inside. I had a 2009 Ram Crew and now a 13 ram crew so I like a big interior. The 12 Tundra 4x2 he has is really nice but it has less options and cost more than my 4x4 Ram Lone Star/Big Horn

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelweb View Post
I don't think there are a lot of problems, but I think the problems that do exist show up on this forum.
Well said, sir.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Prairie Pearl Coat
Rep:12
Speedogomer is on a distinguished road

I think the answer is simple, if you ask yourself the right questions.

Do you need/want a bigger vehicle? Either to tow more, haul more, or carry more people.

Can you afford a new truck payment?

If you answered yes to both, then get the Ram. If not, you will be fine with the Taco.

As for reliability. The Ram will have a warranty. Weather or not it has problems is to be seen, but any problem that does happen, is fixed for free. Any problem the Taco has, however infrequent, will come out of your pocket.

Dodge had a checkered history of reliability. Look at an 06 or older truck, nearly all of them have rust above the rear wheels on the bed, all of them have had some front end problems, and generally were not reliable overall. Chrysler knows this, which is why they've gone to great lengths to fix it. It's also why the brand is now called Ram, and not Dodge anymore, to distance themselves from the old reliability issues. Chrysler really has fixed it's quality issues, and is now making a reliable and competitive product.

Last edited by Speedogomer; 04-29-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: incorrect, punctuation? annoyed; me.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 4x4 Reg Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
mattm55 is on a distinguished road

To add, I get 17mpg with the Ram 1500 (@500mi so far) and with the Taco, I got 17mpg (18mpg after changing to Synth Oil).

The Taco does have issues too. Rear drums clunk at a stop sometimes, blower fans make noise, frame rust, spare tire mount issues, etc... The forums are a place that seems to funnel any problems to one area... I don't see a lot of "drove my truck the last 6 mos without issues" posts... I'm not knocking the forums BTW, they are a GREAT place for a wealth of useful info and for us to share experiences!

Just my $.02
Matt
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 2WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT w/Big Horn EQ GP
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:119
plumcrazy73 will become famous soon enoughplumcrazy73 will become famous soon enough

I drove my 09 since new till March of this year with only minor issues and all were fixed under warranty, my 13 has been trouble free since I got it the first part of march.
They changed from being a dodge ram to ram for the MPG ratings for the manufacture now dodge's MPG rating as a whole goes up. why cause the trucks are no longer a dodge they are a ram.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: Looking to buy
Trim Level: N/a
Color: N/a
tryit1sagain is on a distinguished road

This question is for Rusty. (I couldn't pm you, post count not high enough). What are the differences you've noticed in your trade from a tundra to the Ram? I'm on this forum trying to get info about the ram. However, the Tundra and Ram are my two top choices. Honest information from a previous owner would prove very valuable. thanks.