DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:89
Breathing Borla will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooterjim View Post
If you use cad or zinc plated fasteners, you will be OK but make sure they are grade 8 for the strength factor. If you do decide to go the stainless route, make sure you use some sort of anti seize so the threads won't gall up. Me personally, I will use grade 8 cad plated fasteners.
ok, I was wondering about the two different types of metal coming into contact, sometimes bad things happen

2013 Ram Sport Crew 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92, Borla
2010 LTD Tundra DC, 4x4 RW Wheels 33" Cooper Maxx
2001 tundra, 2000 tundra
1995.5 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, 1998 Tacoma
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram EcoDiesel
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White
Rep:61
UpToNoGood will become famous soon enough

You need 2 of these. 68089777AB @ 21.76 each x 2 = 43.51 + Shipping 19.08 total = 62.59
http://onestopchrysleroem.com/index....roduct_id=2491

I couldn't find 52022046AG again.
2014 1500 Laramie Longhorn CC 4x4 8spd, 3.92 EcoDiesel - Hammerhead rear bumper sprayed with Linex - Iron Cross steps sprayed with Linex - Trucks cover tool box/Tonneau Cover combo - Geno's cabin filter - 275-65-20 Nitto Terra Grappler - Air Lift 1000
Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
UpToNoGood and Turbohawk: I just picked up my skid plates from the dealer today and will install them this coming weekend. The total cost was $76.55 but I got my son's discount because he works there. To the guy off the street, it would be $107.55 plus whatever tax your state collects. You will need 2 of part# 68089777AB (Front axle skid plate) and 1 of part# 52022046AG (Skid plate cross member). As stated previously in other replies, the bolts are metric, M8X1.25X30. I highly recommend using only Grade 8 nuts and bolts. I tried Photobucket but wasn't too happy with the results so will probably not be posting pictures. Besides, Eric32688 already did a great job of that. Good luck, use cutting/tapping fluid (such as Cimtap) and be careful when tapping the holes. Let us know when you're done..............
Ok I'm almost thoroughly confused now...I've got the Mopar Ram 1500 2013 Authentic Ram Accessories brochure in hand, and went to this site, and they show just 2 plates available for order, each $127+, and if you click on each link, there is no photo but click on installation instructions and the pdf file shows what it looks like and where it mounts. Here is the link to the front differential skidplate http://moparonlineparts.com/1500-ski...on-p-2507.html
and for the transfer case http://moparonlineparts.com/1500-ski...se-p-2508.html which appears to be a two piece system (so now I see where you're getting 3 pieces)

So, help this apparently brain-cell deficient person (me!), the part numbers you guys posted are quite different, and when I look for them they take me to the "repair parts" area of this same site seemingly dealing with previous year models, question 1) are these different parts but that will work with our 2013? 2) You say above there are 2 front plates? Please elaborate. If they are "essentially" the same and will work I'm good with the big savings in cost...so help me understand... thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:39
bigralphy is on a distinguished road

There is a mopar accessories number that comes with both plates but I am unsure of the crossmember. It would be pointless without the crossmember though.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:10
Shooterjim is on a distinguished road

turbohawk: This whole part number thing is really confusing. The transfer case and power steering skid plates are the same and should be a direct bolt in but as bigralphy stated, you will need the crossmember brace as well. I am not familiar with Ram trucks as this is my first one but, the parts guy at the dealer where I bought my truck researched with me and the numbers I posted were what we came up with. Price wise, I think you would be better off purchasing the plates and brace directly from the dealer. The prices you posted seem pretty high to me. The pictures posted earlier in this thread are very helpful. I plan on installing mine tomorrow and will post the results with pictures and any info that I think will be helpful.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
ok, I was wondering about the two different types of metal coming into contact, sometimes bad things happen
I was a Machinist Mate for 11 years in the Navy, 10 1/2 years as a top step journeyman marine machinist in a Naval shipyard, 21 years as a maintainer/ operator in a 12 oz. aluminum can plant, 5 years as a maint. mech for a plumbing business as well as various other mechanical field jobs and have learned from experience about metals galling without some sort of anti seize compound being used. I've found that either the same metals or dissimilar ones, anti seize compound is cheap insurance and worth using. Good luck........
Old 05-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
turbohawk: This whole part number thing is really confusing. The transfer case and power steering skid plates are the same and should be a direct bolt in but as bigralphy stated, you will need the crossmember brace as well. I am not familiar with Ram trucks as this is my first one but, the parts guy at the dealer where I bought my truck researched with me and the numbers I posted were what we came up with. Price wise, I think you would be better off purchasing the plates and brace directly from the dealer. The prices you posted seem pretty high to me. The pictures posted earlier in this thread are very helpful. I plan on installing mine tomorrow and will post the results with pictures and any info that I think will be helpful.
Yeah, Shooter, if those are the same pieces it's definitely cheaper to get them individually than "packaged". Perhaps the "accessory" dept. of Mopar bundles and prices things with a much larger profit margin? I've seen this before with different makes when I was in the body shop business, you could save a bundle of $$ if you knew the part #'s and dealt with the wholesale side vs. going with the accessory guys at the parts counter ...funny how that worked.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Smile Plates are done!

Well, the skid plates are in. I wasn't thrilled about using the size bolts recommended so, I used 3/8-16 grade 8 wherever I could. The only place I used the recommended bolts was in the existing holes in the fixed crossmember and they were grade 8 as well. Here's links to some pix:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...21022250_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...18566539_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...06216306_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...37804726_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...14554474_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...73805654_n.jpg
The most difficult part was drilling out the holes in the frame for the transfer case crossmember. It helps to remove the body mount bolt for a little extra room. Having the truck up on ramps sure makes it easier too. Hope this info helps anyone wanting to do the same thing.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Well, the skid plates are in. The most difficult part was drilling out the holes in the frame for the transfer case crossmember. It helps to remove the body mount bolt for a little extra room. Having the truck up on ramps sure makes it easier too. Hope this info helps anyone wanting to do the same thing.
Looks good! What you installed and what they sell in the accessory catalog looks to be exactly the same thing, only $160 or so less bought separately. I did notice that my frame area where the crossmember goes looks to have two holes already...yours didn't? Or those aren't in the right place?

Thanks for posting these shooter!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Smile Skid plates?

Turbohawk: The holes for the transfer case crossmember were already there. I just drilled them out to 5/16" and then tapped them to 3/8-16 NC threads (be sure to use some thread cutting fluid). The frame is thick enough to handle tapping the threads in. But, having said that, don't overtighten the bolts. I'm sure if you shop around, you can/will find a more affordable price for each piece. Good luck and post some pix when you're done.

On a side note, my thanks to all who have posted in this thread. The info from all of you has been very helpful and much appreciated. I think I'm going to like this forum.