DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
satan47 is on a distinguished road
Default S/B CAI w/dry filter and scoop VS Vararam Air Grabber????

I am having a tough time deciding which one of these CAI is gonna be best for me. I recently put on a lift and 35's and i would like to get my mpg and performance back to where it was with stock height and wheels. I have a 18" magnaflow muffler and the maganflow Y pipe with the pipes between the cats and the muffler re-done with mandrel bends and an 87mm Moes TB. i only run 91 fuel and have a 2013 with 3.55's but will be putting in 4.10's within the next year. i am not sure if i will be going with a tuner or not yet, possibly down the road.

Anyone whos had experience with these is welcome to give any advice you can!! thanks!!!
LineX,10tint,AriesW2Wsteps,Sonnaxbooster,20x9XDMon sters,295/65/20 TrailGrapplers, 4" CST lift, rear 1.5" spacers/5100's, 87mmTB,SB CAI,18" Maganflow/Y pipe,BT Catchcan, T1000, Factory 4.10s, transgo shift kit and JBA headers, Maghytec diff/tranny cover
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

cheapest one imo but the S&B makes access to the engine easier vs the Vararam.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 05-01-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
NGARAM77 is on a distinguished road

I am considering the both of these too. Both of them have great names and reputations on this forum. I know the performance that you are looking for is probably going to come from the tune and gears, but breathing better will not hurt anything at all. What I want to know is if anyone has had any problems with water leakage with the vararam? I am sure that it compresses to the hood, but with the good chance of me gettin into a mud hole I do not want to take any chances. Also, I have the sport hood, would the vararam still match up to the hood?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Id rather use a k&n the s&b just looks cheap i have the k&n in mine and love it but out of the 2 you picked id go with the varam
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 2004 VW .:R32, 3.2l AWD V6
Trim Level: .:R
Color: UGM
Rep:145
05ram will become famous soon enough05ram will become famous soon enough

S&B looks cheap??????? Which one are you looking at, the ones for the 3rd and 4th gen rams look way better than the K&N's. S&B w/scoop 1st, Volant 2nd, Vararam 3rd. Had a Vararam on my 3rd gen and sent it back. IMO.............
2008 VW .:R32, 3.2l, AWD, V6, #2952/5000
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:2026
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ram View Post
S&B looks cheap??????? Which one are you looking at, the ones for the 3rd and 4th gen rams look way better than the K&N's.
+1 on that!! I can honestly say the K&N CAI kit for the 4th gen Rams is the cheapest looking one I've seen! S&B is probably the nicest looking one out there.

The Vararam is going to give you better HP and torque numbers than the S&B no question. Honestly the S&B probably won't give you any noticeable gains. They will be very minimal if anything.

Now for the tuner!! It is by far the BEST option to help get your power and fuel economy closer to stock. It will actually give you noticeable gains all around. That's something you should definitely be considering right away. With your throttle body and exhaust the whitelightning custom tune would be a great choice for you. Contact Jeremiah or Andrew and Discount Auto Performance to get the best pricing. They'll hook you up.

Jeremiah: jhinkle1989@discountautoperformance
Andrew: fastNugly@discountautoperformance

I'd also recommend 4.56 gears as well. If you're going to go through the hassle of changing gears you might as well do it right and go big!

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs) | 30" curved LED Light Bar
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT-Big Horn
Color: Bright White
Rep:76
cal45 will become famous soon enough

I went with the S&B and really like it. No way does it look "cheap".

Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 2004 VW .:R32, 3.2l AWD V6
Trim Level: .:R
Color: UGM
Rep:145
05ram will become famous soon enough05ram will become famous soon enough

Nice setup there.................
2008 VW .:R32, 3.2l, AWD, V6, #2952/5000
Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
+1 on that!! I can honestly say the K&N CAI kit for the 4th gen Rams is the cheapest looking one I've seen! S&B is probably the nicest looking one out there.

The Vararam is going to give you better HP and torque numbers than the S&B no question. Honestly the S&B probably won't give you any noticeable gains. They will be very minimal if anything.

Now for the tuner!! It is by far the BEST option to help get your power and fuel economy closer to stock. It will actually give you noticeable gains all around. That's something you should definitely be considering right away. With your throttle body and exhaust the whitelightning custom tune would be a great choice for you. Contact Jeremiah or Andrew and Discount Auto Performance to get the best pricing. They'll hook you up.

Jeremiah: jhinkle1989@discountautoperformance
Andrew: fastNugly@discountautoperformance

I'd also recommend 4.56 gears as well. If you're going to go through the hassle of changing gears you might as well do it right and go big!
I agree 100$ pretty much, I think the S&B's look ok however like you said the gains are barely noticeable when compared to the Vararam, With the Vararam you will get the most power out of any CAI currently on the market

And on top of that we just kicked off a new promo where all forum member get a very nice discount, and a chance to get either their full purchase refunded to there payment method, or $400 in store credit! Check it out Vararam GIVE AWAY/Group Buy

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
satan47 is on a distinguished road

i appreciate everyones opinions. i went with the S/B and after reading all these posts i almost already regret it and i havent even put it on yet. oh well, i wil check it out and if i dont like it you guys will see it for sale in the classifieds in the next couple weeks when i order the vararam. i went with this one since im not gonna be racing the truck, since its lifted and all and i also was hearing that the vararam may be flimsy under the hood. but in the end i am not buying this for looks since it is gonna be under the hood and is meant to provide performance. guess i'll wait and see how it works out. i will post this weekend since it will be installed with my throttle body tonight. my exhaust additions are not on yet so i will have to make a decision to keep or not once i get that stuff welded on. thanks again guys.
LineX,10tint,AriesW2Wsteps,Sonnaxbooster,20x9XDMon sters,295/65/20 TrailGrapplers, 4" CST lift, rear 1.5" spacers/5100's, 87mmTB,SB CAI,18" Maganflow/Y pipe,BT Catchcan, T1000, Factory 4.10s, transgo shift kit and JBA headers, Maghytec diff/tranny cover