DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

When I was planning my build I did a lot of looking around at transmissions, I don't have any links because it was over a year ago when I was looking. The very few reviews I did find of Bill's 545 were the same issues as the ATS and Sharadon: WOT downshift burning out the 2 prime clutch packs. The build is the 'same' as the other 2 as well, more clutch packs to reduce clearances and pump line pressure increase. The biggest downside to Bill's 545 is he hasn't done any real development in the tuning. Yes, his trans is built to physically handle some power, but there's nothing to deal with the biggest problem, tuning.

Sharadon and ATS have made great developments in their trans with Sharadon taking the lead in durability over the ATS purely because they have better tuning. The reason I decided to try Mike's trans is because it wasn't the same design as all the other, which have all had durability issues, and he will modify any performance tune to work with his trans programming; he's kind of a one-stop-shop for the trans. One downside to Mike's is he doesn't offer any warranty to speak of, unlike ATS or Sharadon. I'll PM you his contact info and he can fill you in on his build specs.
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

May I ask how does his design differ? Another thought I had was is a NAG1 transmission controllable by a fourth gen computer? That may be a good route to pursue if possible since those trannies carry a solid build reputation.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

NAG1 isn't a viable option without using a completely custom harness and PCM from something like an SRTGC. The Rams run a PCM with integrated trans programming where the NAG1 gets an independent TCM.

When I was looking into a NAG1 swap I was talking with several tuners and a guy who has developed a stand alone TCM. The biggest difficulty is writing out the trans programming since there isn't a manual trans Ram, so all programming would have to be done from scratch.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Nothing is ever simple is it. I sent a note to Mike so I'm looking forward to seeing what my options are. Thanks Kurtis!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Anytime! If Mike hadn't said yes to me then I probably would have ended up with a Sharadon and spent the $$ to send it to him once my engine was installed to fine tune everything.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Mike was very helpful setting up two builds for myself and MGRAM-10 (Ripp supercharged 500HP).
We'll be making a run for the border early tomorrow morning to pick them up.
So we'll have two more Boosted Rams to add to L&M Customs list by the end of the month.

He also set us up with a pair of ATS triple disc torque converters at his cost,
and hooked up with alcohol injection systems.com for a water/meth setup.
Stand up guy for sure!

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Wow, where the hell have I been?! Did Mike's transmission option just become available in the last six months?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef2011 View Post
Wow, where the hell have I been?! Did Mike's transmission option just become available in the last six months?
He built his Twin Turbo 10' 4G 4x4 back in early 2011, with his own custom 5/6 drop
and swapped the stock transfer case for a Jeep GC AWD unit...

link: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83155

Mike spent countless hours of Track/Dyno time with Josh (CMR Tuner) trying to make a trans that would last under serious boost.

I think he went through at least 4 transmissions before finding just the right build and the ideal tuning by trial and error on his own truck
before releasing his end product to the public. I think that shows his level commitment and integrity when it comes to putting out a great product.

He has been running over a year now with his last build without issue,
and has since a built/installed/tuned a full Single Turbo kit for CHVKLR along with his trans build/tune last year.
link: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119482

He fixed a broken trans for his first Ripp customer a couple months ago (MeanMango2010)
and is soon to be announced as the exclusive Trans builder/tuner for Ripp superchargers after they dropped ATS.

He doesn't post on the boards much but responds to pm's and text by cell phone almost instantly.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 07-05-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:44
TaderzNgravy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
He built his Twin Turbo 10' 4G 4x4 back in early 2011, with his own custom 5/6 drop
and swapped the stock transfer case for a Jeep GC AWD unit...

link: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83155

Mike spent countless hours of Track/Dyno time with Josh (CMR Tuner) trying to make a trans that would last under serious boost.

I think he went through at least 4 transmissions before finding just the right build and the ideal tuning by trial and error on his own truck
before releasing his end product to the public. I think that shows his level commitment and integrity when it comes to putting out a great product.

He has been running over a year now with his last build without issue,
and has since a built/installed/tuned a full Single Turbo kit for CHVKLR along with his trans build/tune last year.
link: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=119482

He fixed a broken trans for his first Ripp customer a couple months ago (MeanMango2010)
and is soon to be announced as the exclusive Trans builder/tuner for Ripp superchargers after they dropped ATS.

He doesn't post on the boards much but responds to pm's and text by cell phone almost instantly.

His truck is an '09, but your dead on with everything else
Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Graphite
Rep:21
FrostKing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
The reason I decided to try Mike's trans is because it wasn't the same design as all the other
How so? Everybody is using OEM parts other than non-factory single sided clutches. (and machining to fit them in) As far as I know Sharadon is the only one that tests their transmissions beyond 1000 hp, but I will say Mike definitely has the upperhand in tuning and that's really the most important aspect for these transmissions. (4th gen trucks only?)

Sold: 2003 RCSB 2WD
6.4L Hemi - Turbocharged, Alcohol, Nitrous