DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:76
Grimass will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Hey, Perspective Buyer -- Read here before you freak out.

Do the the fact that there are lots of perspective buyers coming here, and freaking out since lots of the threads are about issues people have with their truck, I'd like to start a thread for these people. Pretty much, clear the air and explain these are great trucks, and point them to the positive.

Please understand that, topics about problems get a lot more visibility and activity than people who post "LOVE MY TRUCK! NOTHING WRONG!"

Reliability in the media:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

"Highest-Ranked Nameplates and Models
Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates for a second consecutive year. Among models, the Lexus RX has the fewest reported problems in the industry at just 57 PP100. This is the first time in the history of the VDS that a crossover or SUV has achieved this distinction. Rounding out the five highest-ranked nameplates are Porsche, Lincoln , Toyota and Mercedes-Benz. Chrysler Group LLC's Ram brand posts the greatest year-over-year improvement from 2012--by 52 PP100."

RAM is now top 10 in dependability -- Above Ford, GM, and GMC.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ct=most_depend

2013 Truck of the year.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...0/viewall.html

Problems:

Yes. People have been having a few problems. The majority have to do with the UConnect System. The UConnect is the brain of the technology for the truck and it has a few .. *Ahem* Bugs. However, versions >= 13.06.2 seem to have worked the majority of these bugs out.

{Are Paint/Gap clearance still an issue? Or do those seem to of been cleared up? Add comments, I'll update.}

Fun Facts:

1. The 8-Speed Transmission in the ram is also used in 10 Cars that cost over $75,000. Includeing the $500,000 Rolls Royce Phaton. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
  2. The 5.7 Hemi has been in production for over 10 years.
{Add Comments, and I'll Update}

Honest Dislikes from Actual Owners:

So, really, what do the "Happy owners" honestly dislike?

1. Towing and payload numbers. Yes. The ram numbers tend to be lower than competitors.
  2. Storage is a bit light, especially if you have the upgrade audio with sub.
{Add comments, I'll update}
Old 04-30-2013, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Longhorn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
Bruce E will become famous soon enough

I'll second these comments. I have a 2010 that I have had very few minor issues with in 115,000 km and I purchased the 2013 Longhorn yesterday. I might have some issues and they will be frustrating at the time but I am confident that any and all issues will be dealt with by my dealership just like they were with my current truck.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimass View Post
Do the the fact that there are lots of perspective buyers coming here, and freaking out since lots of the threads are about issues people have with their truck, I'd like to start a thread for these people. Pretty much, clear the air and explain these are great trucks, and point them to the positive.

Please understand that, topics about problems get a lot more visibility and activity than people who post "LOVE MY TRUCK! NOTHING WRONG!"

Reliability in the media:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

"Highest-Ranked Nameplates and Models
Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates for a second consecutive year. Among models, the Lexus RX has the fewest reported problems in the industry at just 57 PP100. This is the first time in the history of the VDS that a crossover or SUV has achieved this distinction. Rounding out the five highest-ranked nameplates are Porsche, Lincoln , Toyota and Mercedes-Benz. Chrysler Group LLC's Ram brand posts the greatest year-over-year improvement from 2012--by 52 PP100."

RAM is now top 10 in dependability -- Above Ford, GM, and GMC.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ct=most_depend

2013 Truck of the year.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...0/viewall.html

Problems:

Yes. People have been having a few problems. The majority have to do with the UConnect System. The UConnect is the brain of the technology for the truck and it has a few .. *Ahem* Bugs. However, versions >= 13.06.2 seem to have worked the majority of these bugs out.

{Are Paint/Gap clearance still an issue? Or do those seem to of been cleared up? Add comments, I'll update.}

Fun Facts:

1. The 8-Speed Transmission in the ram is also used in 10 Cars that cost over $75,000. Includeing the $500,000 Rolls Royce Phaton. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
  2. The 5.7 Hemi has been in production for over 10 years.
{Add Comments, and I'll Update}

Honest Dislikes from Actual Owners:

So, really, what do the "Happy owners" honestly dislike?

1. Towing and payload numbers. Yes. The ram numbers tend to be lower than competitors.
  2. Storage is a bit light, especially if you have the upgrade audio with sub.
{Add comments, I'll update}
Good to know, I am/was on the bubble about buying a 13 Bighorn and reading some of the thigns on here.
My current 09 Sierra has not been stellar by any stretch with issues so I was thinking about upgrading and thinking WTH for if I am just going to continue to have problems?

I am curious on why the 8 speed tranny can't be ordered at this time?
2 dealers that I have inquired about ordering one from have both told me it is currently unavailable, but neither of them know the reason why?

Still kicking around the idea of ordering one, I want a white Bighorn quad cab, 10 spk sound system, posi rear with 3.55 gear, rear view camera, heated buckets/steering wheel/mirrors, 8.4 screen, remote start, 20" wheels, 5.7 hemi just to name a few.

Should I wait until the 14's at this point or order one up?
3-4 dealers can't find this exact same truck on a lot/dealership anywhere.
Thanks for posting, you have rekindled my interest.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:76
Grimass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
I am curious on why the 8 speed tranny can't be ordered at this time?
2 dealers that I have inquired about ordering one from have both told me it is currently unavailable, but neither of them know the reason why?
I don't know how true this is, but considering how many 6-Speeds are still on lots, it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to dry those up before taking on more orders.

Quote:
Should I wait until the 14's at this point or order one up?
3-4 dealers can't find this exact same truck on a lot/dealership anywhere.
Thanks for posting, you have rekindled my interest.
By the time the 14's come out you'll be asking if you should wait for 15's.. IMHO -- Really the only reason to wait for 14's is if you're dead set on a diesel.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

I currently have a 2011 quad cab and I have a 2013 cc ordered. I love my quad can but underestimated how much space a kid in a carseat really took up which is why I opted for a cc. The only complaint I have about my 2011 is the fob key that likes to not work randomly and the dealer who basically said I was lying about it. Everything else is perfect. Only complaint about my 2013 is that I won't have it for a while since I just ordered 2 weeks ago. If I was not happy with my ram I would not have even considered them when I decided I needed a crew cab.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to save money, get the 2013, there are incentives that may make it worth doing & if you ordered one now, you would be driving it in July possibly

If you wait until the first full week in June, you will be able to factory order a 2014, but you may have to wait until late September or early October to receive it
To me, having one of the first 2014 Rams comes with some bragging rights

The ZF designed Torqueflight 8 speed transmissions are still going into the 2013 Ram, both the V-6 & HEMI motors
the 8 speeds currently are coming into the USA from Germany
I don't think the new transmission plant in Kokomo is ready to start production quite yet

----------------------------------------------------------------

Note:
If you have been using the Ram Build Your Own website
you are not building your own Ram, they are using all the information you enter into that site, to check to see if any nearby dealership has that vehicle on the dealers lots, that is why they ask for your Zip Code

I just went to the NADA website & tried building a Factory order
The NADA site doesn't even let you factory build with the new 8 speed transmission any longer
so i guess that the DONLEN website was correct !!! Final order Due Date 04/30/13

2013 Ram Truck 1500
2WD Crew Cab 140.5" Laramie
26H Laramie Customer Preferred Order Selection Pkg
-inc: 5.7L V8 engine, 8-speed auto trans
*Upon selection of this pkg, the cost of powertrain components will be added* *No Longer Factory Orderable, See Dealer for Current Availability*

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Ram-Truck/Build-Your-Car
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 04-30-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:87
relic will become famous soon enough

Great thread, was expecting it to pop up eventually. Every vehicle is going to have its common problems. I knew ahead of time from being on Club Frontier that my Frontier was liable to get diff problems, broken power window, passenger seat rattle, and some other stuff. It all happened in first 20,000kms, was fixed, and not a glitch since (at 90,000kms now).
The new Ram seems pretty good mechanically so far...
Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice thread, Great stuff, by the way I have a 2012 ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with 12000 klm and have not gone back to the dealer once for service, yes I broke the handle off the parking brake release but that's just cause I'm strong and brain farts happen. I had a steering click and it disappeared, I have seriously modded my truck from one end to the other and knock on wood, not one issue. I love my truck, I can't wait to get in and drive it around.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Prairie Pearl
Rep:20
joelweb is on a distinguished road

Anyway to make this a sticky thread so it stays at the top of the list?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Black Clear Coat
Rep:65
cjgerson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I just went to the NADA website & tried building a Factory order
The NADA site doesn't even let you factory build with the new 8 speed transmission any longer
so i guess that the DONLEN website was correct !!! Final order Due Date 04/30/13

2013 Ram Truck 1500
2WD Crew Cab 140.5" Laramie
26H Laramie Customer Preferred Order Selection Pkg
-inc: 5.7L V8 engine, 8-speed auto trans
*Upon selection of this pkg, the cost of powertrain components will be added* *No Longer Factory Orderable, See Dealer for Current Availability*

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Ram-Truck/Build-Your-Car
I think your PC must be confused. I literally just did took this screen print.

After further review I see you tried to build a 2WD 8 speed. It appears RAM simply is not going to accept any more 2WD 8 speed orders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nadaguides_build_your_own.jpg (22.7 KB, 33 views)
RetraxOne Tonneau cover, DeeZee tailgate assist, Line-X premium bed liner, Bed Rug Bed Mat, Freedom Tailgate seal, Cabin Air filter, aFe Magnum FORCE Air Intake System, Muffllex DOD18M, AVS Aeroskin Hood Shield, Craven Stubby Antenna, Tinted Windows, AVS In-Channel Vent-visors, AMP Research Black Bed Xtender HD, Hypertech Interceptor, E&G Classics - Polished Heavy Mesh Bumper Grille insert , Lamin-X 3rd brake and fog lights, E&G Classics Polished Heavy Mesh Bumper Grille Insert