DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie questions

Just curious what you think of these?

Was told by my local dealer (as well as another one) that an 8sp currently can't be ordered, only 6sp's.

Should I wait until the 8sp is available?
I am after a Bighorn with Hemi and want the 8sp, but only if they have been relatively problem free.

I am also after the 9-10 spk amp/booster type stereo (is there another edition of this system as I have seen one rated at over 500 watts??

I also want a 3.55 gear ratio with the anti-slip diff (posi)

I am also trading in my current 09 Sierra SLT which is pretty loaded (no Nav or sunroof) so I am looking to stay relatively close with options on a Bighorn (I don't need leather but I do like the heated seats) so does anyone know what happens with my trade in value if I have to wait 8 weeks or longer before my new one comes in?
Will they limit the amount of km's I can put on it, will they want it right away so they can sell it right even before my new one comes in?

They are offering my $18,500 for my Sierra with only 54,000 km's on it, it is in mint shape, has leather, 20" wheels, etc etc.
My OTD price with trade is currently $18,400, but that was priced out with an 8sp tranny so with a 6sp I am thinking it should be a $1000 cheaper?

What would you do, trade it and order now or wait for the 8sp and later in the year?

Edit: Sorry, meant to say these are CDN prices and I live in Ontario.
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

I think the 8 speed will be limited until the '14s come out. I'd wait for them and get what you want. I traded my '11 for a '13 sport and just had to sign a proof of sale basically the price they offered me for my truck is solid until I get the new truck unless of course something were to happen or I was stupid and drove across the country and back with it. Lol. I ordered mine with 8 speed about 2 weeks ago so I was just in time before they stopped taking orders for the 8 speed.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:17
gto90 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion I would wait and get what you
Really wanted.. (8spd) this will also give them
Time to work out the bugs.

Also the anti spin differential is not a posi, it is a
Limited slip so if you are looking for more of what your
Gmc has I would look into the open differential
And then put in a locker if possible.

The alpine system is rated at I believe 506 watts,
I have it, it's great when it all works properly.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Rep:25
Ddaaryl is on a distinguished road

If you plan on a lot of towing they is a slight advantage to the eight speed. If you don't tow a lot how many gears do you need to get a light duty truck up to 70mph? Then there is the supply and demand story. Do you want a great deal on what is readily available or would you rather pay top dollar for something in limited supply with a long wait? The final consideration is resale value. What's that option worth in a few years (may be determined by reliability and service record)
I got the six speed and a price 1% under dealer cost, no regrets and I picked it up the day I decided to buy it in my choice of color.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaaryl View Post
If you plan on a lot of towing they is a slight advantage to the eight speed.
A bit early to tell if this is indeed true...theoretically maybe but best I could ascertain this tranny has never been used in a tow vehicle according to wikipedia...I'd go with the 6 speed since it's all but bulletproof. EVERYONE I know with it is still on the original one and are closing in on 200k miles AND they pull at max or over a LOT. This 8 speed might prove to be bulletproof too but right now no one really knows.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Rep:47
shaner82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohawk View Post
A bit early to tell if this is indeed true...theoretically maybe but best I could ascertain this tranny has never been used in a tow vehicle according to wikipedia...I'd go with the 6 speed since it's all but bulletproof. EVERYONE I know with it is still on the original one and are closing in on 200k miles AND they pull at max or over a LOT. This 8 speed might prove to be bulletproof too but right now no one really knows.
While I don't dispute what you're saying, anecdotal evidence is really proof of nothing. The only way to truly find out how reliable something is, is to look at a large number of them. Simply looking at the trucks of people you know doesn't really prove anything.

With that said, you may very well be right, perhaps the 6 speed is bulletproof. Isn't Dodge known for transmission problems though and isn't the 8 speed built by another company in Germany? How long has this particular 6 speed tranny been around? What other vehicles is it used in?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto90 View Post
In my opinion I would wait and get what you
Really wanted.. (8spd) this will also give them
Time to work out the bugs.

Also the anti spin differential is not a posi, it is a
Limited slip so if you are looking for more of what your
Gmc has I would look into the open differential
And then put in a locker if possible.

The alpine system is rated at I believe 506 watts,
I have it, it's great when it all works properly.
I meant to say anti-spin, but I am curious how much different it is compared to the diff I have in my rear end (I believe GM refers to it as a posi?)

Also curious about the stereo and what you mean "When it works properly?"

I have done a bit of reading but obviously not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaaryl View Post
If you plan on a lot of towing they is a slight advantage to the eight speed. If you don't tow a lot how many gears do you need to get a light duty truck up to 70mph? Then there is the supply and demand story. Do you want a great deal on what is readily available or would you rather pay top dollar for something in limited supply with a long wait? The final consideration is resale value. What's that option worth in a few years (may be determined by reliability and service record)
I got the six speed and a price 1% under dealer cost, no regrets and I picked it up the day I decided to buy it in my choice of color.
I don't do a lot of towing, a bit in the winter with an enclosed sled trailer and 2 sleds, maybe 1500-1700 LBS?

I just got off the phone with my dealer and he said he ordered me a new truck with the 6 sp.
Took me by surprise that he said he ordered it as I thought I would have gotten a phone call just to finalize the decision?

Thinking about it, I am not disappointed he did, just would have liked to think about it a bit more first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohawk View Post
Hope so, as that is what was just ordered.

I am getting a White Bighorn, 6sp tranny, 9 sp stereo with amp, rear view camera, 8.4 screen, Hemi or course, quad cab 4x4, heated seats/steering wheel, heated mirrors, etc etc.
Just curious, will this truck come with engne oil/tranny cooler?

Personally, I have never ordered anything with less research than I have with this truck, I usually read everything I can before making a purchase, new or used (ocd/anal??) so hopefully from the little reading I have done and talking with others, I made the right decision and won't regret it?

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
While I don't dispute what you're saying, anecdotal evidence is really proof of nothing. The only way to truly find out how reliable something is, is to look at a large number of them. Simply looking at the trucks of people you know doesn't really prove anything.

With that said, you may very well be right, perhaps the 6 speed is bulletproof. Isn't Dodge known for transmission problems though and isn't the 8 speed built by another company in Germany? How long has this particular 6 speed tranny been around? What other vehicles is it used in?
I hope it's proof because that's why I bought my Ram, because I see what they do with theirs day in and out, stuff I would never attempt to do with my current truck, gooseneck trailers with 4 large horses 500 miles each way every other week, and not just one truck and owner, 2 very different folks but use them hard. Yeah, I may get the lemon or the "weak" or friday/monday build but what else am I to go on? Gut feeling or post on forums? Consumer reports isn't so helpful, truck mags are just advertising, so word of mouth by people you know for years, what's better proof than this?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM

List of options, curious what you think, anything missing that is a must?
I have requested a more broke down type of options list but nothing yet, and I may change (if it isn't too late?) my interior color to full or all Black instead of the Black/Grey mix?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCI05022013_0000.jpg (129.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Rep:17
gto90 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Irv;1087286]I meant to say anti-spin, but I am curious how much different it is compared to the diff I have in my rear end (I believe GM refers to it as a posi?)

Also curious about the stereo and what you mean "When it works properly?"

I have done a bit of reading but obviously not enough.

GM refers to it as a electronic locking differential, The two are not the
same. With a locker you will push power to both wheels no matter what
surface they are on. With the anti spin if you have both tires in the snow
and you spin the wheels both will spin, If you have one that is still getting
traction the other one will do the spinning.

I know my 13 sport does not give an accurate picture of how a Ram
should be. Its fully loaded except for leather. On any given day I might
have the radio lose its bluetooth connection, not play music via usb,
volume controls might freeze up, steering wheel controls might not work,
and so on.... Thats what i meant by working out the bugs in the system.

I see you ordered one, Post some pics when you get it!