DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Are You Happy With Your 2012/2013 Paint Job?
Yes, it's flawless 34 32.38%
Yes, it has a few flaws but otherwise acceptable 51 48.57%
No, i'm in the middle of escalating the issue 16 15.24%
Not sure, haven't checked 4 3.81%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 5.7 SPORT
Rep:27
Ram Dude is on a distinguished road

Mine has a few flaws, I'm seriously debating taking it back to the dealer.............
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

My 2012 sport mineral grey has a few flaws. Common with other members on here I had a circular spot on the hood with a fish eye in the middle. It's looks as though they wet sanded through the clear coat and when the light/sun hits it, it's noticeable and it's going in May 13th to get re painted (hood) I have paint clumped up on back edge of passengers front door and a drivers front door that needs adjustment. Also 2 dust nibs(I can live with them) on truck. Drivers color matched door handle has a swirl in paint, looks like when you stir paint and the color isn't mixed homogeneously, no big deal, but I think these issues are a joke and for a $50,000 Msrp is total BS, next new truck or vehicle I buy will be getting a more thorough looking over! I was 27 when I bought the truck and I guess young and too assuming!

Tomorrow in the sun I'll take some pictures and post them here

Last edited by RAM SPORT CREW; 05-03-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport fully loaded
Color: Black
Rep:36
stuabroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinmx48 View Post
I have 9000kms on mine too. Picked it up in the winter so didn't do the tooth brush inspection. Didn't knew I had to
Well about a month ago I had " fall out" rust on the paint so I washed it by hand for the first time ( 5000kms )
Well needless to say thale paint is garbage. I have more that 15 blemishes in my paint and every time I wash it I find more
I am in talks with the dealer but they keep saying that I should have inspected the NIGHT I got it.
I will be dropping the truck off next week for repair regardless.
Cale
That was the standard response i got this afternoon when i visited a local dealer (not where i purchased it). She said the usual things about black showing everything up and that i needed to have inspected it closely on pickup. HOwever she agreed that isn't possible when its -40 and snowing or thereabouts. My wife sold her 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe with 75k on it a couple of moths ago and it had better paint on it than this truck does.

I'm not sure how to describe my issue - seems like the paint DEPTH isn't that deep? It looks like it's a hair's breadth of an application. So that means it ain't going to be any way durable. The challenge i'm going out face with the dealer is when they question why i didn't report it sooner, like you've already seen. What does the Warranty say on this and how much is it down to their opinion as to what a bad paint job is? Can i insist on any kind of professional opinion...? Short of finding a bunch of 1500s with 9000km on them to compare against...
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 PM

RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

I had my truck for about 5 months before I took it back in. Do you know anybody with a paint depth gauge? This is how I found out my hood had 7mm on it, therefor it was sent back through the paint booth at the factory and still was messed up. All dealers aren't created equal, just be nice and calm and they should work with you.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM SPORT CREW View Post
My 2012 sport mineral grey has a few flaws. Common with other members on here I had a circular spot on the hood with a fish eye in the middle. It's looks as though they wet sanded through the clear coat and when the light/sun hits it, it's noticeable and it's going in May 13th to get re painted (hood) I have paint clumped up on back edge of passengers front door and a drivers front door that needs adjustment. Also 2 dust nibs(I can live with them) on truck. Drivers color matched door handle has a swirl in paint, looks like when you stir paint and the color isn't mixed homogeneously, no big deal, but I think these issues are a joke and for a $50,000 Msrp is total BS, next new truck or vehicle I buy will be getting a more thorough looking over! I was 27 when I bought the truck and I guess young and too assuming!

Tomorrow in the sun I'll take some pictures and post them here
Yeah pics would be good; i'll take some tomorrow morning when i'm gathering evidence. I'll also be using this thread as ammunition. I need to know though how much grounds i have for a repaint if required. I presume 9000km and purchased February is still a 'new' car issue. Like you say $50k vehicle should not have crappy paint issues. Exactly what did you say to your dealer...?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 PM

I told them that I have a buddy in the insurance industry that deals with auto body repairs (they know him by name from being around) and he put his depth gauge on my entire truck and the hood has 2mm more paint on it tha the rest of the truck (which I guess is a big deal in the paint business) and he said you could clearly see the spot where they tried to wet sand an imperfection out of the paint and went down too far and the fish eye is left behind. I took it in on a sunny day so it could easily be seen, but it needed to show up in a picture to be sent to Chrysler Canada, so they put it under fluorescent light and got it to show up finally (I think they realized after months that I wasn't going to let it be) now I set a date that works for me and they gaurentee that it'll match perfectly and I'll be satisfied. I am still nervous though, but they said no problem at all, hope they're right!

I was calm and just said its unacceptable for a $50,000 truck to have a spot on the hood that all my friends and family point out when they walk into my garage and when the fluorescent lights are on. They agreed and its getting fixed
Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM SPORT CREW View Post
I told them that I have a buddy in the insurance industry that deals with auto body repairs (they know him by name from being around) and he put his depth gauge on my entire truck and the hood has 2mm more paint on it tha the rest of the truck (which I guess is a big deal in the paint business) and he said you could clearly see the spot where they tried to wet sand an imperfection out of the paint and went down too far and the fish eye is left behind. I took it in on a sunny day so it could easily be seen, but it needed to show up in a picture to be sent to Chrysler Canada, so they put it under fluorescent light and got it to show up finally (I think they realized after months that I wasn't going to let it be) now I set a date that works for me and they gaurentee that it'll match perfectly and I'll be satisfied. I am still nervous though, but they said no problem at all, hope they're right!

I was calm and just said its unacceptable for a $50,000 truck to have a spot on the hood that all my friends and family point out when they walk into my garage and when the fluorescent lights are on. They agreed and its getting fixed
Thanks for this info - what is the paint depth supposed to be?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:13 PM

On domestic vehicles he said 5-5.5mm, which was the depth on the rest of my truck.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Here are some pictures, ill post one of my properly lined up passengers door along with my sticking out drivers door.

Well apparently iPad and this site aren't compatible, pos

Last edited by RAM SPORT CREW; 05-04-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:07 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

At first detail, I found numerous dust nibs in the paint of my 2012 white Ram. Dealer's body shop said correcting them could make it worse. Leveled all 79 of them myself. Had to have body work done and discovered the whole truck had probably been run through the paint booth twice. My third Ram,but quite likely my last even though it is the best looking truck on the road.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's