DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Concerned about Transmission temps...too low?

Ok, been reading a LOT of stuff about Dodge/Ram and the engines. This site (http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodg...owertrain.html) has a LOT of info about changes to the 2013's specifically. Quoting here:
Quote:
A segment exclusive on the 2013 Ram 1500 is a new thermal management system, designed to quickly raise the transmission fluid temperatures to cut parasitic losses and wear, improving fuel efficiency by 1.7%. It is enabled by an electronic thermostat which constantly monitors antifreeze temperature; once it’s hot enough, warm engine coolant is circulated through a thermal exchange unit which heats up the transmission fluid. In most vehicles, the transmission heats up independently of the engine. (The system also works for engine oil.)
Chrysler’s Dave Sowers said:
We get benefit from bringing both of them [oil and transmission fluid] up to operating temperature faster. The primary benefit comes in the transmission. In colder climates, you could drive a vehicle for hours in the winter and the transmission might never reach that 190° (F) for the most efficient operation. So what we do is use some of that hot engine coolant through the heat exchanger to bring it up to 190° as quickly as possible, and that gives us efficient operation very quickly.

This is a big leap forward in efficiency given most customers’ drive cycles and like I said, the fact that they might never get to that level of efficiency. We even use it with engine oil. You might think that once you start running the engine, the engine, the coolant and the oil are all the same temperature but that’s not true. We’re circulating coolant around where the combustion process happens to take all the heat out that we need to. What we’re going to do is heat the engine oil up to that – about 190° – as quickly as possible too. More benefit comes from the transmission than from the engine, but it helps in both cases.
Why do you say that more benefit comes from the transmission? Because the engine oil would’ve heated up eventually anyway. So we’re speeding up in the engine. In the transmission case we’re getting to where we might not have ever got in cold temperatures and low loads.
Now look at the photo of my temps...see a problem? My transmission temp has never been above 162 but my oil temp stays 10-15 degrees higher than coolant temp. Should I be worried? Crossed wiring with the respective sensors? If this Chrysler engineer didn't flub the numbers then it sounds like I either have a bad temp sensor, wrong sensor indicated (crossed wires) or this whole 190 degree thing is BS, OR my transmission cooling system is too good...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rammy temp list.jpg (99.6 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2013, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:10
rraulston is on a distinguished road

mine is the same. Only when I tow will it go above 200.....I think I hit 220 once. Late time I was under the truck, it appeared the tranny cooler line ran close to the exhaust...interesting article
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 4x4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:100
CharlieL will become famous soon enoughCharlieL will become famous soon enough

I see nothing out of the ordinary with your temps. Your temps are very much in line with what I see on my truck. I haven't towed yet, so can't report any temp difference due to that. Also, from what I've read the "thermal management system" that heats up the tranny is only on the 8-speed.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieL View Post
I see nothing out of the ordinary with your temps. Your temps are very much in line with what I see on my truck. I haven't towed yet, so can't report any temp difference due to that. Also, from what I've read the "thermal management system" that heats up the tranny is only on the 8-speed.
Ok, thanks guys for replying. That article didn't point out which transmission so I just assumed it was for all of them. Whew!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

My tranny temps are rarely over 160 (not towing). So I think you'll be perfectly fine. I've read else where that 160 is a good temp for them to be at during normal driving so I'm sticking with that. Honestly, that difference in temperature probably makes very little difference as well.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 05-06-2013, 04:15 AM

Vehicle: 04 Ram 2500 4x4 RCLB 13 Ram RT
Trim Level: SLT, RT
Color: Atlantic Blue/Silver, Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:39
Brians RT is on a distinguished road

My trans temp in my R/T wont vet above 140. Even towing up the Grapevine out of LA my temp was at 129. It actually dropped going up hill towing 5k.lbs
Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians RT View Post
My trans temp in my R/T wont vet above 140. Even towing up the Grapevine out of LA my temp was at 129. It actually dropped going up hill towing 5k.lbs
Did your ambient temp drop significantly? Otherwise this makes no sense since it seems logical that a transmission under load is going to produce more heat than one coasting...wondering if the temp system is all that reliable/accurate?