DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rraulston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxlexus View Post
Not really, I have a Hemi with the 8 speed and 3.92 gears. I like it so much more that the 6 speed Ram trucks I test drove.
I wouldn't mind an 8 speed with the 392s. I bought in December and never even knew the 8 speed was coming......I'm happy though.......
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Sunday I towed my lil 17' fish/ski boat for the first time with the Ram. It didn't even know it was there except the gas mileage dropped about 3mpg but I also did activate the tow/haul mode.

Funny thing about the indicated transmission temp is that it was actually about 10 degrees COOLER than the day before pulling nothing in pretty close to the same ambient temp/humidity levels. Perhaps there is "active" cooling measures when tow/haul mode is activated? (didn't read that in the manual yet).

The boat ramp was slimy as all get out, people were having a hard time pulling out their empty trailer, much less a wet boat out of the water, I was so glad to have the 4x4 switch. Pulled out without even the slightest slip.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:10
rraulston is on a distinguished road

I did a 500 mile tow of 7K on Saturday. Am averaging 7-8 mpg. That's rough. Thank gosh I only do it 3-5 times a year. Heavy winds too. I find that 70 MPH in 4th gear is a nice sweet spot. The 321 or 355 guys would have been struggling.....I did the Phx to Flagstaff run....YUK......!!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohawk View Post
Sunday I towed my lil 17' fish/ski boat for the first time with the Ram. It didn't even know it was there except the gas mileage dropped about 3mpg but I also did activate the tow/haul mode.

Funny thing about the indicated transmission temp is that it was actually about 10 degrees COOLER than the day before pulling nothing in pretty close to the same ambient temp/humidity levels. Perhaps there is "active" cooling measures when tow/haul mode is activated? (didn't read that in the manual yet).

The boat ramp was slimy as all get out, people were having a hard time pulling out their empty trailer, much less a wet boat out of the water, I was so glad to have the 4x4 switch. Pulled out without even the slightest slip.
Curious, but would your F&S boat even need tow/haul mode activated?

I ordered a new Ram so I don't know the number's but I believe with my current Sierra with the 5.3, it suggests not using the tow/haul until 1/2 or 3/4 of the total allowable weight is being pulled?

I also tow a 16.5 F&S with a 90 4 stroke Merc but haven't used my tow/haul mode as I am way under the recommended limit (1700-1800Lbs)

No harm in using it, but as you noticed, it cost you some mpg's.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Curious, but would your F&S boat even need tow/haul mode activated?

I ordered a new Ram so I don't know the number's but I believe with my current Sierra with the 5.3, it suggests not using the tow/haul until 1/2 or 3/4 of the total allowable weight is being pulled?

I also tow a 16.5 F&S with a 90 4 stroke Merc but haven't used my tow/haul mode as I am way under the recommended limit (1700-1800Lbs)

No harm in using it, but as you noticed, it cost you some mpg's.

I was thinking exactly what you mentioned, do I even need the tow/haul mode activated? Probably no for this relatively light load. But even then I did manually shift down to fourth gear more than once because it was shifting into fifth and staying there even at 1100 rpm...just about lugging the engine (feeling like MDS sometimes does), this motor while ok at closer to 1000 rpms is really happiest closer to 2k and above

I can only imagine how low the RPM would have been IF it had shifted to 6th! Yes, I was going quite slow at the time, behind even slower traffic (slower than a truck pulling a boat!). I guess next time I'll not activate tow mode and see what happens. But I had to see how it worked and wanted to verify I had a 3rd gear too!