DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

At work we have two 2007 rams with the 4.7 v8 and 4 speeds. They both do this first thing in the morning. Mechanics say its the fluid draining overnight and takes a second for the pump to get the fluid where it needs to be. Now these are government trucks and get driven by lots of people and have 120k on them and still work fine. A lot of people complain about it but nothing has ever happened to the transmission.
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

I have every standard mod + some, I have BD tune, K&N, Magnaflow Exhaust, LED lighting, synthetic oil, Catch can, HID projectors, Bilstein 5100 lift, Roof console and so on and so on, It never does what your saying, just shift and away we go.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:10
Enkidu25 is on a distinguished road

I just talked to the guys at the dealership and they said they have heard of this problem. I am going to drop it off next Wednesday afternoon so they have it to start cold on Thursday morning. I really hope it is nothing.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Mine always takes a second or two to engage in D when it's not warmed up in the morning. Only in D though.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
irishmil is on a distinguished road

I am curious too. Mine does the exact same thing
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black on Carbon fibre vinyl wrap on bottom
Jasonelkins is on a distinguished road

fluid needs a few minutes to fill system, many galleries and clutch packs to fill, i put my truck in gear and dont let off the brake untill i feel truck start to move, and i always make sure to start for few mins before driving, i dont notice a lag at all i am mechanic mabey i have a higher tolerance for lil probs and dont notice them
Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Hey guys.... for slow engagement ("oozing" into gear), only on a cold start, especially in a 2012 truck, I suspect you have a cooler return filter (spin-on filter inside the trans) with a weak anti-drainback diaphragm. I have seen several reports of this on 2012 trucks, so I suspect we got a batch of bad filters from our supplier. Fix is to replace the filter (05179267AC), which should be covered under warranty.

This problem will NOT damage your trans. The trans is not slipping (although it feels like it is); the problem is too little torque from the torque converter (because it is half full of air, because the fluid drained out into the trans sump while the engine was shut off, because the diaphragm in the spin-on filter was too weak). So it's no emergency that you need to fix right away. Get it done when it's convenient for you.

If you do take it in for filter replacement, please PM me BEFORE you take it in, with this info:
VIN (last 8 digits)
Dealer Name
Dealer Location (City and State)
Dealer Phone
Contact in Service Dept (like Service Manager) if you have one
Your name
When you plan to take it in

I will contact them and arrange to get your old filter returned so we can analyze it.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Hey guys.... for slow engagement ("oozing" into gear), only on a cold start, especially in a 2012 truck, I suspect you have a cooler return filter (spin-on filter inside the trans) with a weak anti-drainback diaphragm. I have seen several reports of this on 2012 trucks, so I suspect we got a batch of bad filters from our supplier. Fix is to replace the filter (05179267AC), which should be covered under warranty.

This problem will NOT damage your trans. The trans is not slipping (although it feels like it is); the problem is too little torque from the torque converter (because it is half full of air, because the fluid drained out into the trans sump while the engine was shut off, because the diaphragm in the spin-on filter was too weak). So it's no emergency that you need to fix right away. Get it done when it's convenient for you.

If you do take it in for filter replacement, please PM me BEFORE you take it in, with this info:
VIN (last 8 digits)
Dealer Name
Dealer Phone
Your name

I will contact them and arrange to get your old filter returned so we can analyze it.
I just have to chime in and say you are an invaluable asset to this fourm. Thanks for the help you have given to us.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post

VIN (last 8 digits)
Dealer Name
Dealer Phone
Your name

That is awesome information!!!! So if I order the part and replace it myself do you want me to send you the filter?

EDIT: oops, didn't see the INSIDE the trans part. Maybe I won't do it myself.

Last edited by ONOutdoorsman; 05-09-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

If the truck is pretty new, low miles, under warranty, etc. I'd take it to the dealer to have them change the filters to try and resolve the issue.

You can do it yourself though, it's pretty easy. I did a write up on the forum a while ago:

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=545rfe

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.