DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Enkidu25 is on a distinguished road

Transengineer,

So evidently I can't PM you. LOL. It says I do not have enough posts. So here is the information.

VIN: CS248107
Dealer Name: Brown Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
Dealer Location: Minden, LA
Dealer Phone: 888-457-2946
Contact in Service Dept: Don't kno
Your name: Aaron Pittman
When you plan to take it in: Wednesday May 15 in the afternoon so they can have a cold start in the morning.

Thank you so much. I thought it was weird that the dealer said they had heard of the problem but nobody knew how to fix it. Hopefully this knowledge will help them in the future for other people
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Thanks for the info! I will call them next week and ask them to save the old filter for us.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Transengineer,

I just spoke to the service department and they are ordering the replacement filter for when I go there on Wednesday. They seemed happy to have a fix. Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So they changed the transmission filter and my truck works great now. Thank you.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramageddon View Post
For what it's worth, I had a 05 Ram 1500 that did the same exact thing. I had it to the dealership twice and they could never replicate it either. It never seemed to have any effect on it. Only seemed to do it first thing in the morning, it was almost like driving a stick and letting the clutch out slowly. I hope you can find the issue. Good luck
I also had an 05 with the same issue. There was a TSB back then for the exact same fix, the internal cooler return filter. Seems as in this case, the internal check valve was weak. So you should be good to go. I would venture to say that if this shows up in enough numbers, then there will probably also be a new TSB. Back then, it also affected people that had their trannies serviced because some of the same batch of bad filters were used at both the factory and sent out to dealers.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Bright White
Rep:312
Chris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the rough

Mine works fine but I always start it up with the remote start so it has a chance to warm up.
K&N 63cai\Fastman 84mm\BT catch-can\e-fan\180 t-stat\Flowmaster super44\Belltech 2"-4" 964sp\BT custom shifter\20% tint\light blue racing stripes\BD pillar pod\Diablo trinity\Hemifever custom tune\two Memphis 10" subs\custom ported box\Memphis 600amp\Weathertech techliner\MBRP 5" tips\ ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers
Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Jimfleming is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 transmission Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Hey guys.... for slow engagement ("oozing" into gear), only on a cold start, especially in a 2012 truck, I suspect you have a cooler return filter (spin-on filter inside the trans) with a weak anti-drainback diaphragm. I have seen several reports of this on 2012 trucks, so I suspect we got a batch of bad filters from our supplier. Fix is to replace the filter (05179267AC), which should be covered under warranty.

This problem will NOT damage your trans. The trans is not slipping (although it feels like it is); the problem is too little torque from the torque converter (because it is half full of air, because the fluid drained out into the trans sump while the engine was shut off, because the diaphragm in the spin-on filter was too weak). So it's no emergency that you need to fix right away. Get it done when it's convenient for you.

If you do take it in for filter replacement, please PM me BEFORE you take it in, with this info:
VIN (last 8 digits)
Dealer Name
Dealer Location (City and State)
Dealer Phone
Contact in Service Dept (like Service Manager) if you have one
Your name
When you plan to take it in

I will contact them and arrange to get your old filter returned so we can analyze it.
I've only had this truck for about a month and on four occasions when starting in the morning the transmission "Oozes" into gear. As I begin to brake at the driveway curb the truck will lurch forward and I must brake hard. Can the problem with filter diaphragm be intermittent? My dealer checked for codes & verified up to date programming, all was proper. Thanks for time!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Well, usually the problem is "intermittent" in that it's related to how long the engine was shut down for. So if it sits for maybe 6 hours it might work fine, but if it sits for 2 days there is a much greater chance you'll notice the problem. Also, if you start it up and let it idle for 15-30 seconds, it likely won't happen, whereas if you start it and drop it into gear right away you are more likely to notice it. So overall, it can seem to be intermittent since it doesn't happen all the time.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: LST
Color: Blue
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
M Masters is on a distinguished road

Try starting it and placing it in Neutral while you allow the oil in the motor to circulate. This does 2 things, 1 it allows your engine oil to lub everything up before you put it in gear and 2 it allows the transmission pump to circulate the fluid before you put it in gear. If you still have the delay when you put it in drive.... take it to the shop.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The oil pump in the engine and the oil pump in the transmission circulate oil whenever the engine is running, doesn't matter if it's in park or neutral or any other gear. The reason what you're describing works is because you are allowing more time by shifting in to neutral. If you left it in park and waited the same amount of time you'd get the same result.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.