DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
StuderCo is on a distinguished road
Question Body Lift vs Leveling Kit Question

Just have a couple quick questions about leveling kits and body lifts. I've been looking at getting a 2" leveling kit on my 2013. If I go this route, to avoid having the tires stick out irregularily, I will then need an adjustable track bar as well. As I'm trying to keep the my costs down, this isn't a great idea. It's not that the parts cost a ton, just that I'm definitely no mechanic, and will have to pay for installation. And installation can often be the entire cost of the part, effectively doubling the price. I'd like to avoid this as much as possible.

So in comes the body lift idea. However, I DO NOT want to lift the rear of my truck. I simply want to lift the front? Is there a way to do this with a body lift? Is there such a thing as a body leveling kit? Please let me know what you've got.
Studs, Gaskets, EGR del, 4" Turboback, SCT X3 w/ SPD, PHP Hercules 100, 4.5" lift, S&B Intake, Coolant Filter, Black Bumpers, 35x12.5x20", Smoked Lights, 6000k HID's
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Okay... first off I think you're a little confused about how the leveling kits and such work. If you are only leveling the front you will not need a track bar but you will need to get a front end alignment. The track bar is on the back of the truck and since you don't want to lift the back, you don't need to touch it.

The cheapest way to level the truck is with a Hell Bent Steel leveling kit. They make both 2" and 2.5" spacers. The 2" will leave you a slight amount of rake, the 2.5" will put you pretty much dead level. They are about $80 and work very well. I've had one on my truck since a week after owning it and have no problems. Check out their website www.hellbentsteel.com.

A body lift will lift the entire truck and honestly you don't want to do one, it's just unnecessary for what you are trying to achieve.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Okay... first off I think you're a little confused about how the leveling kits and such work. If you are only leveling the front you will not need a track bar but you will need to get a front end alignment. The track bar is on the back of the truck and since you don't want to lift the back, you don't need to touch it.

The cheapest way to level the truck is with a Hell Bent Steel leveling kit. They make both 2" and 2.5" spacers. The 2" will leave you a slight amount of rake, the 2.5" will put you pretty much dead level. They are about $80 and work very well. I've had one on my truck since a week after owning it and have no problems. Check out their website www.hellbentsteel.com.

A body lift will lift the entire truck and honestly you don't want to do one, it's just unnecessary for what you are trying to achieve.
Yes, sorry, I left that part out. I know I'll need an alignment with any leveling kit. However I was under the impression that when you level the front of the truck, you will need an adjustable track bar to bring your axle back to its original centered position under the truck.
Studs, Gaskets, EGR del, 4" Turboback, SCT X3 w/ SPD, PHP Hercules 100, 4.5" lift, S&B Intake, Coolant Filter, Black Bumpers, 35x12.5x20", Smoked Lights, 6000k HID's
Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuderCo View Post
Yes, sorry, I left that part out. I know I'll need an alignment with any leveling kit. However I was under the impression that when you level the front of the truck, you will need an adjustable track bar to bring your axle back to its original centered position under the truck.
Nope. The front of these trucks are IFS (independent front suspension), not solid axle. All you will need is the leveling kit installed and then the alignment.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Nope. The front of these trucks are IFS (independent front suspension), not solid axle. All you will need is the leveling kit installed and then the alignment.
Ah ok! I did not know this. My last truck was an '07 powerstroke, so most of what I know is related to that. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Ah ok! I did not know this. My last truck was an '07 powerstroke, so most of what I know is related to that. Thanks!
Yup, definitely different than an HD truck.

Glad I could help you out. Be sure to post some pictures once you get the kit installed. And if you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Yup, definitely different than an HD truck.

Glad I could help you out. Be sure to post some pictures once you get the kit installed. And if you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask.
Sorry, I've got another question for you. I noticed in your sig, you have a 2.5" level, 20x9 rims with -12 offset, and 35" tires. This setup fits? Does it rub? I'm asking because I'm also looking at doing this. 20x9 rims with 0 or -12 offset, a 2" level (instead of 2.5"), but still wrapped in the stock street tires. I'm hoping this would work without rubbing.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry, I've got another question for you. I noticed in your sig, you have a 2.5" level, 20x9 rims with -12 offset, and 35" tires. This setup fits? Does it rub? I'm asking because I'm also looking at doing this. 20x9 rims with 0 or -12 offset, a 2" level (instead of 2.5"), but still wrapped in the stock street tires. I'm hoping this would work without rubbing.
Here's a link to my thread about the install and first impression review of the wheels and tires:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141365

With the stock tires you'll be fine. I rub slightly on the back of the inner fender with 35's but it will easily be fixed with a bit of trimming (and I took off the plastic trim pieces at the bottom of the fender).

Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Here's a link to my thread about the install and first impression review of the wheels and tires:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141365

With the stock tires you'll be fine. I rub slightly on the back of the inner fender with 35's but it will easily be fixed with a bit of trimming (and I took off the plastic trim pieces at the bottom of the fender).
Awesome, that's definitely useful. Good to know that I could move up a bit in tire width in the future as well, possibly a 295 instead of my stock 275's. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Snow White
Rep:160
Yo Nadz has a spectacular aura aboutYo Nadz has a spectacular aura about

Do yourself a favor and spend a little more money and get the Bilstein 5100 shocks for the front. They are far superior to a leveling kit, and are fully adjustable. They ride like a dream and don't cost much more than a leveling kit.