DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Curious how you like your sound system?

I turned down one truck on a lot that would have filled all my needs, except it didn't have the 9spkr/amp sound sytem.

My current Sierra has a Bose system so I didn't want to go backwards in sound quality/volume with my new truck.

Curious if I made the right decision as I never did hear the 9spkr/amp system?
I love it. It has plenty of bass, crystal clear highs and the simulated surround sound puts it on a whole new level. Getting the 8.4AN radio just for the HD radio is worth it. When I first select a station, it tunes to the analog broadcast. It then starts buffering for a second or two and then switches over to the HD broadcast. It's like switching from phone hold music to a live concert.
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2013, 03:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 CC 6'4"
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White Two-tone
Rep:12
Hardrocker06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Rob View Post
I referenced someone else's write-up here somewhere. It came off very easy since I only had it a day. The black pillar tape is there to blend between the two windows. I figured with my darker color, it would look good removed. I do like it better with the tape removed. Keep in mind, once you start pulling, there's no easy way to go back. If mine were a lighter color, I'm not sure if I would have removed it.

My mother wants me to remove her pillar tape on her Copperhead Journey now.
I didn't realize that was just tape and the door was actually painted underneath. I have a two-tone white Laramie on order and I don't particularly like the black b/t the windows.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 PM

Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

Here are some pictures of my Ram with a coat of Nanowax. I'm liking the Black Gold even more

Everyone said they like pictures, I thought I'd oblige
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 PM

Default Pics of my BakFlip

Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 AM

I discovered some more things about my Ram. I had it in Off-road 2 mode when I crawled underneath to take pictures. After a few minutes, I heard the valves kick in and it lowered a bit. A few minutes later it did it again. When I got back in the cab to raise it back up, it said I was in Entry/Exit mode. It wasn't quite down to Entry/Exit at least it didn't feel like it but it was quite a bit lower than when I first crawled under it. I did set it to Entry/Exit mode to check the tire clearance and was able to crawl underneath it but I kept hitting my head and arms on everything. It's good to know that if it does lower again on me, I hopefully won't go MIA. I can see that I will have to make sure when I'm changing the oil that after I put it in Off-road 2 mode I set it to tire change mode so I don't get crushed.

Another thing I found out was that there is absolutely no room for taller tires when in the entry/exit mode without rubbing on the plastic wheel liner. There is only about 3/16" between the tire and liner with the wheels turned sharply.

The next thing I found out was that in entry/exit mode it rests on the rear bump stops. I couldn't find any bump stops on the front suspension so maybe the air-springs act as the stops. I imagine they are the rear since that is where most of the cargo weight goes.

The last thing I discovered is the protection package affords no protection to the fuel tank. My 32 gallon plastic fuel tank is one hunking piece of plastic just waiting for a sharp rock to pierce. The protection package only comes with two shields. One under the front differential, the other under the transfer case. At least my Explorer came with a metal shield under the fuel tank. I used it a lot to slide over rocks before I lifted it.

Last edited by Explorer Rob; 05-11-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I discovered a couple more things about my Ram. I had it in Off-road 2 mode when I crawled underneath to take pictures. After a few minutes, I heard the valves kick in and it lowered a bit. A few minutes later it did it again. When I got back in the cab to raise it back up, it said I was in Entry/Exit mode. It wasn't quite down to Entry/Exit at least it didn't feel like it but it was quite a bit lower than when I first crawled under it. I did set it to Entry/Exit mode to check the tire clearance and was able to crawl underneath it but I kept hitting my head and arms on everything. It's good to know that if it does lower again on me, I hopefully won't go MIA. I can see that I will have to make sure when I'm changing the oil that after I put it in Off-road 2 mode I set it to tire change mode so I don't get crushed.

Another thing I found out was that there is absolutely no room for taller tires when in the entry/exit mode without rubbing on the plastic wheel liner. There is only about 3/16" between the tire and liner with the wheels turned sharply.

The last thing I found out was that in entry/exit mode it rests on the rear bump stops. I couldn't find any bump stops on the front suspension so maybe the air-springs act as the stops. I imagine they are the rear since that is where most of the cargo weight goes.
Great information! Are you sure that when you put it in off road 2, then set it for tire change, it would actually stay in off road 2? It doesn't make since that the truck would just lower without prompting...that's a little disturbing.

You don't think a slightly taller (not wider) tire would work? Say a 275/65...about a inch taller, same width? I have a set waiting to install!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMan View Post
Great information! Are you sure that when you put it in off road 2, then set it for tire change, it would actually stay in off road 2? It doesn't make since that the truck would just lower without prompting...that's a little disturbing.

You don't think a slightly taller (not wider) tire would work? Say a 275/65...about a inch taller, same width? I have a set waiting to install!
I won't know until I try it since the Owner's manual is 718 pages of what the buttons do but not what the feature is for or how it reacts. It does say that putting it in tire change mode disables the air suspension. Also, putting it in transportation mode it lowers it to entry exit mode and locks the suspension. I'm wondering if I let it fully get into Off-road 2 height before I opened my door. It does say that if a door is opened while the suspension is changing heights it will stop and go down to the next set point. It did say "Off-road 2" on the EVIC but I didn't look at the hard buttons to see if all 4 were lit up. Usually when it says it on the EVIC though the height setting has been achieved. I'll have to try it again when I'm sure it is at Off-road 2 and let it sit for a while. I did leave it in off-road 2 over night before and it was still there the next day.

I am certain a taller tire will not fit. There is only 3/16" of clearance at the back of the tire to the plastic wheel well liner. Granted it is only plastic but any larger diameter and you'll rub a hole through it in no time if you turn your wheels while driving in the entry/exit height. It looks like you might be able to go a bit wider though. If you do put those tires on, let me know if you rub. I would really love to get some BFG TA ko in that size but wanted to see my clearance before making a trip to the tire store. After seeing what little room there is, I probably won't even attempt it unless other's with the air-suspension can get them to fit without rubbing.

Last edited by Explorer Rob; 05-11-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM
Trim Level: Laramie CC 5.7'
Color: Deep Cherry Crystal/Silver
Rep:10
ConvertibleGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by N901 View Post
It comes on most trucks, except black i think... might be wrong here. I think it is only installed to keep everything looking black from window to window. People were telling me to pull it but i was hesitating. Eventually saw some of it coming up and just removed it all. Really like the way it looks
So I could just use a hair dryer to loosen it a bit and peel it off, then clean the paint to remove any adhesive?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:59 AM

You might not even need a hair dryer. I'm sure we're a little warmer here in Arizona than New York though. I just started peeling from the top and it came right off in 2-3 pieces. It was very pliable and barely left any glue residue. Yours is new enough it will probably peel right off too.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I won't know until I try it since the Owner's manual is 718 pages of what the buttons do but not what the feature is for or how it reacts. It does say that putting it in tire change mode disables the air suspension. Also, putting it in transportation mode it lowers it to entry exit mode and locks the suspension. I'm wondering if I let it fully get into Off-road 2 height before I opened my door. It does say that if a door is opened while the suspension is changing heights it will stop and go down to the next set point. It did say "Off-road 2" on the EVIC but I didn't look at the hard buttons to see if all 4 were lit up. Usually when it says it on the EVIC though the height setting has been achieved. I'll have to try it again when I'm sure it is at Off-road 2 and let it sit for a while. I did leave it in off-road 2 over night before and it was still there the next day.

I am certain a taller tire will not fit. There is only 3/16" of clearance at the back of the tire to the plastic wheel well liner. Granted it is only plastic but any larger diameter and you'll rub a hole through it in no time if you turn your wheels while driving in the entry/exit height. It looks like you might be able to go a bit wider though. If you do put those tires on, let me know if you rub. I would really love to get some BFG TA ko in that size but wanted to see my clearance before making a trip to the tire store. After seeing what little room there is, I probably won't even attempt it unless other's with the air-suspension can get them to fit without rubbing.
In this thread, the OP put the same tire on that I ordered and indicated no rub with the LT 275/65. He also affirmed it in another related thread.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=140013

What if we didn't drive in entry/exit mode or cut sharply? I doubt I ever will...just a thought.

If my truck ever comes in, I have the tires waiting and will post pics!