DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

This might be helpful as well...regarding the tire rub issue.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139009
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

This might be helpful as well...regarding the tire rub issue.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=139009
Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Rob View Post
The last thing I discovered is the protection package affords no protection to the fuel tank. My 32 gallon plastic fuel tank is one hunking piece of plastic just waiting for a sharp rock to pierce. The protection package only comes with two shields. One under the front differential, the other under the transfer case. At least my Explorer came with a metal shield under the fuel tank. I used it a lot to slide over rocks before I lifted it.
I don't plan to rock crawl with this truck but I too was surprised (or more accurately shocked) that there was ZERO shielding for the PLASTIC fuel tank. Maybe I should install a petcock on the bottom part of it so gas thieves don't need to poke a hole in it when they do their thievin', as after thumping on it I noted you could probably poke a warm nail through it without much effort...I hope it's not that easy but seriously, there should AT LEAST be a METAL PAN on the bottom of it, AT THE MINIMUM! These are TRUCKS! Not candy-ass cars, Ram boyz! UGHH!!! Yes, I'm a bit perturbed...
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I love it. It has plenty of bass, crystal clear highs and the simulated surround sound puts it on a whole new level. Getting the 8.4AN radio just for the HD radio is worth it. When I first select a station, it tunes to the analog broadcast. It then starts buffering for a second or two and then switches over to the HD broadcast. It's like switching from phone hold music to a live concert.
That's good to hear, thanks for letting me know
Old 05-12-2013, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM
Trim Level: Laramie CC 5.7'
Color: Deep Cherry Crystal/Silver
Rep:10
ConvertibleGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You might not even need a hair dryer. I'm sure we're a little warmer here in Arizona than New York though. I just started peeling from the top and it came right off in 2-3 pieces. It was very pliable and barely left any glue residue. Yours is new enough it will probably peel right off too.
Il see what it looks like and if I decide to remove it, it sounds easy enough. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough
Default 1st Road Trip Impressions

Last weekend, I took my Ram on it's first road trip. The trip was about 295 miles round trip. I started out in Mesa, AZ at an altitude of 1430 feet with a full tank of 89 octane gasoline. I headed north to Pine, AZ at an altitude of 5500 feet. I crossed over a mountain pass in between of about 6000 feet with several passes along the way. The trip to Pine was about 100 miles. After enjoying several hours in Pine, I decided to head north out of town up to the Mogollon rim where I went from 5500 feet to an altitude of 7800 feet in about 15 miles. Once up on the rim I drove the entire Rim Road which is a dirt road about 45 miles. My average speed on this leg was 25-30 miles per hour. I took two side trips to check out some camp sites I like to camp at which added about another 5 miles. When I got to the east end of Rim road I headed down the mountain about 30 miles back towards Payson. I dropped from 7800 feet to 5000 feet over the 30 miles. We had dinner in Payson and then headed home the last 70 miles the same way we came up, again crossing several passes going from 5000 feet to 3000 feet, back up to 6000 feet and then finally dropping to the desert floor of 1400 feet. I included my route to give you an idea of what my trip was like.

Here are my impressions of my Ram:

What impressed me most was the change in elevation by going up and down the mountain passes was completely effortless (as I expected). I had more power than I needed for passing the slow moving trucks regardless of how steep the grade was going up. If I haven't said it before, I LOVE THIS HEMI! In fact I set the cruise once I got out onto the main highway and left it set at 68 MPH until I got to a stretch where the speed limit was 55. The cruise had no trouble maintaining the set speed. In fact, I loved how my 8-speed downshifted to maintain my set speed when going down hill. A couple of 7% grades for about 5 miles or so, it actually downshifted 2 or 3 gears to keep my speed at 68. My RPMs were 5000 RPM to maintain the speed when going down 7% grades but at least I only needed the brakes for sharper (slower) turns or when coming up on slower traffic. I forgot how nice it is to have a cruise control that will not just downshift to maintain my speed when going up hill, but also to keep from over speeding when going down hill. I had a Dodge Caravan that did the same thing. I don't know why more manufacturers don't incorporate it into the cruise control. My Explorer would just keep building up speed until I was forced to hit the brakes and manually shift my transmission down a gear or two.

The next thing I found that I wasn't as impressed with is the lumbar support. It hits my back a little too high. I wish it was height adjustable like my mother's Journey. I can raise and lower the lumbar position in her seats in addition to the standard lumbar adjustments. Minor complaint, I compensated by slightly adjusting the angle of my seat back. I'll have to get used to it since I will be heading across the country in July. Everything else about the seats, position, climate control was perfect.

One thing I finally got to try out was the automatic high-beams. I haven't been out of the city yet with my Ram until my road trip so I haven't tried them before. I would give them about an 80% rating which is better than I expected. With the exception of a couple of circumstances, they were spot on as to when the high beams turned off. I found that in most circumstances, they turned off right at the same time I would have reached for the lever to pull it back. One situation where they don't work so well is when there is a 3' concrete median with 2' metal pieces on top to shield lights from oncoming traffic. I found that semi-trucks lights were below the shields so my high-beam camera didn't see their lights, hence they wouldn't dim. The issue was the semi-trucks cab was above the shields so I had to manually turn off my high-beams anytime there was an on-coming semi-truck. Otherwise, I would blind them. Same situation when I got closer to home and was driving down by the Salt River. There are many hills where you go up and down with the speed limit being 40-45 MPH. My high-beam camera would see a car coming towards me and dim my lights, but then the car would go down into a very brief dip and then pop back up a second later to be staring right into my high-beams. The automatic high-beams are very quick to go back to high-beams. It might be better if they had a 1-2 second delay from the time it senses darkness before turning the high beams back on. Another minor issue, I compensated by pulling back on the lever whenever an oncoming vehicle dropped into a dip. Update: I forgot to mention, the automatic high-beam camera senses white and red light only. They will dim not only for oncoming traffic, but also when I got passed. Once the passing vehicle was about 2 car lengths in front of me, my lights would automatically dim. That was a welcome surprise.

Finally the last thing is my fuel mileage on the entire trip averaged 17.5 MPG on the EVIC. Reminder, I have the 8-speed and 3.92 axles. That beats my Explorer by about 2 MPG. It would have been higher if not for the 50 miles of dirt road at slow speed and the fact that my fuel mileage dropped into the single digits anytime my Ram was going up hill. I bet I could probably eek 20 MPG out of it going to California where most of the trip is all flat. My 32 gallon tank sure is nice. I only used 1/2 tank of gas over the entire trip. I would always fill my Explorer either once I got to Payson or before leaving Payson to head home. It was nice doing a 300 mile trip and only using 1/2 tank of gas. I know, I know - wait till I have to fill an empty 32 gallon tank. Still haven't felt the fuel slap yet. I was at about 3/4 tank when driving slowly on Rim road and didn't have any quick stops so maybe the conditions weren't right for it.

The only disappointment for the entire trip was how dirty my Ram got from driving 50 miles of dirt roads. That and how hard it is to wash a dark vehicle when there isn't any shade available and it's 100 degrees outside. I ended up washing half of it in my garage and then turned it around to wash the other half. I still wound up with bad water spots in spots that I now have to buff out.

Last edited by Explorer Rob; 05-16-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:19
MOTH3R is on a distinguished road

No doubt your mileage would get even better on a longer (and flatter) trip. I took mine from Orlando up to the Great Smoky Mountains and back and ended up with an average on the EVIC of 18.9 mpg after 1678 miles. I can promise you I was driving the hell out of the truck in the mountains as well (I was up there with some sports car buddies trying to ~kinda~ keep up). I came home about as impressed as could be with the truck. All this with the lowly 6-Speed; I'm certain the 8-Speed would have been even better.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:38
ILuvaMyTrucka is on a distinguished road

What is the part number for the divider in your bed? Does this only fit beds with RamBoxes?

I have the 5' 7" bed without ramboxes and seen that divider at the dealership when I went to pick up my truck, but didn't ask about it. Now I wish I had because there have been a few times it would have come in handy.

Quote:
Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvaMyTrucka View Post
What is the part number for the divider in your bed? Does this only fit beds with RamBoxes?

I have the 5' 7" bed without ramboxes and seen that divider at the dealership when I went to pick up my truck, but didn't ask about it. Now I wish I had because there have been a few times it would have come in handy.
Yes the divider is for RamBoxes only. There are 11 slots down both sides of the bed that the divider slips into to divide the bed. It also can be turned around and fastened to a couple of places inside the tailgate turning it into a bed extender. The one at the dealer might be a bed extender from Mopar for Rams without RamBoxes.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The only disappointment for the entire trip was how dirty my Ram got from driving 50 miles of dirt roads. That and how hard it is to wash a dark vehicle when there isn't any shade available and it's 100 degrees outside. I ended up washing half of it in my garage and then turned it around to wash the other half. I still wound up with bad water spots in spots that I now have to buff out.
I found out really by accident how great the color White is for hiding just how dirty it can be (as well as silver) especially where I live since the miles upon miles of dirt roads out here tend to have a lot of crushed limestone so the dust is mostly white. Plus, in Texas, (and AZ!) the summer sun can heat up a black interior really quick (which I almost have...the diesel gray/black interior) making a steering wheel to hot to handle! Exterior temps seem to be better too as my brothers black Hyundai is too hot to touch for more than a couple seconds when my white colored paint is quite tolerable if not comparably "cool".

Nice report. Gonna do a long road trip this summer in mine.