DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 quadcab 4x4
Trim Level: bighorn
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:20
boomer is on a distinguished road
Unhappy No Heat

So Sunday my truck had no heat its a 2012 Ram 1500. In -14 degrees F it wasnt much fun with two kids on the way back from grandmas. Anyway long story short, checked fuses they were good, checked coolant level and mixture was good to -40 so that wasnt it. My running temp was normal fan selection worked on all speeds just blew cold air, in fact I think it wa scolder with the heat on. I always let it warm 15-20 minutes in temps like this before moving the vehical so it was warmed up engine wise. Anyone else experance this? I put it in a heated shop to thaw everything overnight and it all seemed to work good this morning, so maybe my heater core had an ice blockage? I'm not sure what was froze up or if anybody has ideas to ensure it doesn't happen again, assuming it still works this evening. I do have an appointment setup for Friday at Dodge but if its still working I wont waste their time hunting a problem they can't see. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Now 2012

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Red Pearl
Rep:146
Ram11 will become famous soon enoughRam11 will become famous soon enough

Thats Odd.. let us know
Factory Fender Flare's... Smoked Rain Guard's... 8,000 Hid'... Zeta Body Side Molding... Painted Pinstripe... Dodge S/S Door Sills... S10 Bed Slide... Ghost Flames... Mopar Tonneau Cover... Mopar High Performance Exhaust... K and N Cold Air Intake...Bilstein 4600 Front Shocks.....Thunder Form enclosure Loaded with 2 10 Kenwood Subs,,
Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Quick update. On the way to work this evening it worked ok, not hot but ok. had set to defrost. So this morning after idling 20 minutes with defrost on windows were still frosted over. Its about -20 today, so felt of vents nothing, defrost vents nothing, hearing the fan run in all the differnt speeds, just no air coming from anywhere except floor vents. So thats a plus and kept me from freezing on my 30 minute commute but its the only spot that actually pushes air. Defrost vents pushed warm air out less than 24 hours ago when I put the truck in the shop and thawed it all, now them and dash vents move no air to very little. So I'm really scratching my head. I can't wait until Friday and I'm oh so hoping the Dodge dealer has an answer
Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Dropped the truck off this morning, the dealer said oh another Ram with sparatic heating issues, gave me a loaner vehical and said they will probably keep mine all weekend. 2009 n up they said had a few in and were familiar with the problem and were in contact with Dodge and are willing to try whatever Dodge says to fix the problem. Will keep you all updated once I learn more
Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 PM

Jumper wires or cables. Dodge knows its a problem and is working on it. They are manufacturing the replacement parts, should be out around March. Until then, if I dont have heat, I need to shut it off for @least 30 seconds then restart it should blow warm again. Thats oh so comforting, I just hope it works every time.....
Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
popeyesram is on a distinguished road

Mine does the exact same thing, I haven't had mine in to the dealership as the guys that work in the back leave a bit to be desired..... I have noticed that I have to shut mine off for longer than 30 secs to get it to work again sometimes, did they do anything to your truck when it was in the shop? maybe I should call in and see if they have a solution for it yet.....
Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 PM

No they didn't do a thing to it other then give me that advice. I would call them and let them know so that you can be one of the first to get fixed once parts come in. I left them with the words that the first time the 30 second trick doesnt work they can expect the truck back and i want as close to my purchase price as possible. I can not have a vehical with no heat, I have four kids 5 and under. I'm sure that didn't worry them much, but non the less I was dead serious it wont be my truck if it doesnt have heat.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: MINERAL GREY
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
thouse is on a distinguished road

My truck is doing the same thing. I have lost heat twice. Dealership tells me "things act up when it gets cold out" so frusterated!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:11 PM

thouse, did you try to shut the truck off and wait 30 seconds and turn it back on? My dealership was very supportive and gave me an answer within a few hours. It is an issue on 09 and up and seemed as though dodge is aware as well. Im with you though highly frustrated just want a new truck to feel comfortable inside all year round lol. I do know one thing though I'll drive it without heat before I drive thier minivan loaner again lol
Old 03-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
popeyesram is on a distinguished road

I had mine lock up the other day when it was about -10 out. I tried shutting it off and back on, tried letting it run with the fan off (has worked before)..... still no luck. I pulled the glove compartment out and took the actuator out. I looked it over, and it looked fine, plugged it back in and it worked. But when I put it back onto the door it did not. The door moved fine and wasn't bound up at all so I went and bought a new one, plugged it in and the new one didn't work either. My local dealership had no idea what could be the issue. I had to go pick up another car that day so I just turned the door to hot, and installed the actuator without plugging it in so I could have heat. When I got to where I was getting the car, I swung through the Dodge dealer there (a little bigger dealer, and not as dumb as the one in my town) and they thought that the controller could just need to be reset. After I did that it has worked flawlessly the first time, every time I have started my truck. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to work, since the controller is around $500-700 and its tucked deep into the dash.

To reset your heat controller:
-turn fan speed to the lowest setting
-turn selector dial to defrost
-press and hold recerc button (the one on the fan speed dial) for 10 secs
-release
-press and hold recerc button again for 10 secs
-light for recerc should flash
-controller has been reset.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

On a side note, the dealer I went to that told me how to reset the controller said they have not had many (maybe 1 or 2) trucks come in with a heating problem like we are experiencing. He did say, however, that the 09's have had issues with the controller.

Seems like one in the same to me but hopefully resetting it fixes the issue.