DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Hemi 8 Speed
Color: Maximum Steel Met.
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
kxlexus is on a distinguished road

9,000 miles on mine and no smell
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:10
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulswagelock View Post
Mine still smells after the repair of the leak. Going back in next week for all new hoses. I will keep you posted.
At the dealer today. I have been told that the hoses and coolant are getting changed, but the paperwork made no mention of what they would do. I will post when I get it back what was done, and if there is any change to the smell.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I've been driving mine a long time now with the smell while waiting for a replacement truck, and the odor hasn't stayed in the interior that I can tell, but I do leave the garage door open until the truck has cooled down. When enclosed in the garage while hot everything smells, inside and out.

The problem is that even after replacing the hoses, the engine compartment still radiates the smell when hot. I can smell it fifty feet away if the wind is right. Whether the plastics in the engine compartment picked up the smell, or if it is some other issue, I don't know.

It has occurred to me that perhaps it is something to do with the active grill shutters? I can't imagine how but the radiator area seems to reek the most and 2013 is the first year with the shutters.

A friend of mine with the same truck also has the odor. His however, has only a faint odor at the same mileage as mine had when the smell was intolerable.

I am curious to find out what the real cause is and hope that Chrysler will someday go beyond "it's a known issue" and give a full explanation. Not holding my breath though. (except when too close to my truck!)
Scott,
why is the dealer replacing your truck? Have they told you what they thought the problem was? My dealer did not change the hoses as planned. Chrysler told them not to, but to take a coolant sample and send it in. My service guy feels this is related to the new OAT coolant for 2013. Anyhow, just curious as to why/how you got a new truck versus being stuck in the "let's find the problem" loop.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: Red
TbGabe is on a distinguished road
Default Bad smell from hoses

Same thing on my 2013 slt 4x4. Dealer said it was hoses and it should go away. It's not gone after 3000 mi. Am contacting Chrysler customer support. Will keep posting till issue is resolved. 5.7 8 speed

Last edited by TbGabe; 10-17-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: Red
TbGabe is on a distinguished road

Called Chrysler customer support. They said they would document issue, it is a known issue, and more people calling in will make it more important to them to resolve problem. Calling customer support at 1-800-992-1997 and stating the problem may get their attention.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Dealer called me. Chrysler engineering and master service tech got back to them. Stated it is coolant issue. They want all rubber hoses changed out, system completely flushed and COOLANT CHANGED TO MODEL YEAR 2012 COOLANT.
As I posted before, 2013 coolant was switched to OAT coolant to prolong service interval to 10 years. Looks like they messed up with that move.

Problem is the heater hoses do not exist in inventory anywhere globally. Truck comes home and I wait until hoses are available. No expected date given.

I do have a documented Chrysler case opened for this issue, so hopefully all of this gets captured. I talk to them daily so I will verify.
If you are struggling with getting answers, maybe I can point you in the right direction with the case number.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 SLT Bighorn
Trim Level: SLT Bighorn
Color: Deep Cherry Crystal
deep cherry is on a distinguished road
Default Smells like oil?

Mine also has an odor coming into the cab at idol . To me me it has a oily smell to it.Sure never had that on my 2002 Quad! Now what? Put up with it and hope it goes away. I have about 2500 miles on it now.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep cherry View Post
Mine also has an odor coming into the cab at idol . To me me it has a oily smell to it.Sure never had that on my 2002 Quad! Now what? Put up with it and hope it goes away. I have about 2500 miles on it now.
I suggest you take it to your dealer. Tell them you have talked to others with the problem of a burning coolant / hose smell. Tell them to call Chrysler and open a case. It is becoming known within the company. They will likely find out about it in short order. If they can't find out about it, let me know and I will share the case number with them.

It won't go away.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:12
Scott H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulswagelock View Post
Scott,
why is the dealer replacing your truck? Have they told you what they thought the problem was? My dealer did not change the hoses as planned. Chrysler told them not to, but to take a coolant sample and send it in. My service guy feels this is related to the new OAT coolant for 2013. Anyhow, just curious as to why/how you got a new truck versus being stuck in the "let's find the problem" loop.

Thanks.
Changing all the hoses did not fix the problem so after a couple of weeks with no improvement (one night I closed the garage up on the truck when hot and by morning the entire garage and truck were completely polluted), I returned to the service manager and told him that a new truck that smelled this bad was unacceptable.

He spoke to the sales manager and they agreed with me. I was told that they, the dealership owner, and other managers had a meeting about it and would contact Chrysler.

I was informed that a Chrysler buyback was a long slow process if Chrysler would even do it, but when the managers called someone at Chrysler the buyback approval was given the same day.

I don't know if the approval was given because I have a great dealership, have been a long time service customer for both of my Chrysler vehicles, or that this is my fifth Ram pickup, four of them bought new, three of them special orders. Perhaps all of these weighed in my favor.

My new truck is at the dealer now awaiting the final paperwork to be completed. I should be able to pick it up next week. While driving a horribly stinky truck for months was a huge PITA (constantly playing with the HVAC), I am thrilled that my dealer and Chrysler stood behind their product and I will continue to be a loyal Ram and Fury Motors customer.

Scott
Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
RBRK is on a distinguished road

Mine smelled like crap for a while, I had hoses on order and I kept driving it. The smell started to diminish while I was waiting for the new hoses to come in. Then I changed the hoses and flushed to coolant,

They started to smell within a few days again. I was upset because it wasn't as bad before the hose change because it had some miles on them approximately 3000. So I gave up and figured it might go away with time like it started to before. Well, after another 3000 miles or so it did. I don't smell anything anymore at all.

I've had two previously 4th gen Rams 09' and 11 now 13'. None of them smelled before. I don't know if it's the coolant reaction with the rubber or the rubber making it smell but they do.

That's good you got your truck replaced , hopefully the new one won't stink.