DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

Well at least there is now a consistent cause being stated, and a consistent solution recommended. This is what I was told as well.

Now the wait for hoses......

Last edited by paulswagelock; 10-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:45
TinMan68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyBob View Post
Okay, the dealership just called and confirmed the issue is OAT coolant reacting with sulphur-cured hoses, and the solution is to change the hoses and coolant. However, the hoses aren't available yet. They did say that it was okay to drive and won't cause any issue besides the smell. The smell is kind of a big deal for me though, since I don't want it to work it's way into the interior of the truck and smell that way forever. My wife is pregnant, and besides the possible chemical reaction issues, she REALLY doesn't like the smell. It took a lot of convincing for her to allow me to buy a new truck, and now neither of us is very happy with the purchase. Hopefully Chrysler makes this right, and does it quickly.
WileyBob, Try this, Mine doesn't smell till the heater is on and temp set in the red. Try setting it not so hot and air coming through the defrosters or dash vents. I don't get the smell that way. And by all means please don't let your wife smell it. I know from first hand experience what long term can do and its not pretty!
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi With 6 Speed Automatic And 3:55 LSD Gears and 20 Inch Rubber
2002 A6 3.0L 30V Quattro Avant Auto
2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Model 6 Speed Manual
Old 10-24-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyBob View Post
Okay, the dealership just called and confirmed the issue is OAT coolant reacting with sulphur-cured hoses, and the solution is to change the hoses and coolant. However, the hoses aren't available yet. They did say that it was okay to drive and won't cause any issue besides the smell. The smell is kind of a big deal for me though, since I don't want it to work it's way into the interior of the truck and smell that way forever. My wife is pregnant, and besides the possible chemical reaction issues, she REALLY doesn't like the smell. It took a lot of convincing for her to allow me to buy a new truck, and now neither of us is very happy with the purchase. Hopefully Chrysler makes this right, and does it quickly.
I suggest you keep your wife away for now. I found a MSDS for another brand of OAT coolant. Might not be the same, but read the following warning:

Labelling according Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 [CLP]
Pictogram
Signal word Warning
Hazard statement(s)
H361d Suspected of damaging the unborn child
Precautionary statement(s)
P201 Obtain special instructions before use.
P202 Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood.
P281 Use personal protective equipment as required.
P308 IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/attention.
P405 Store locked up.
P501 Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local regulations

Maybe you should ask Chrysler for an offical statement on the smell and the source. Is it the sulphur reacting and that is the smell, or the coolant reacting and its vapors coming off. It appears OAT vapors are not necessarily safe, but it is unclear what we are actually smelling.

Last edited by paulswagelock; 10-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
WileyBob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan68 View Post
WileyBob, Try this, Mine doesn't smell till the heater is on and temp set in the red. Try setting it not so hot and air coming through the defrosters or dash vents. I don't get the smell that way. And by all means please don't let your wife smell it. I know from first hand experience what long term can do and its not pretty!
I was able to limit the smell by putting the HVAC into "recirculate" mode, but it still smells strong when idling at stop lights, backing into parking spots, or any other low speed driving.

I'll probably just let the truck sit until they figure it out, but I'm not really happy to be making payments on something that I feel like I shouldn't be driving, even if Chrysler says it is safe. Hopefully they figure this out soon, or I'm going to have a few words with the dealership AND Chrysler.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Limited 4x4
Stoneface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I haven't smelled it in a few hundred miles now. Maybe the smell was because I was driving through Moore OK on IH-35.
I was reading the posts regarding the "smell" problem, when I saw this post regarding Moore, OK. I don't get it. Does Moore have a bad smell? Or is this post an attempt at being funny. I don't get it.
For those of you that don't know, Moore is the town in Oklahoma that was hit by an F5 tornado in May 2013, killing several people, including children.
I've driven pass Moore on I35 many times & never noticed a smell. I don't know what kind of smell the writer is referring to.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. I think there is a water treatment plant or something on the south side of Moore, because when I was going to OU then every time I'd drive by the area just south of the Best Buy on IH-35, it smelled like it.

For the record, I haven't noticed a smell from my truck in several thousand miles.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 AM

Called my dealer today. Tri Star Motors in Blairsville and Indiana Pa. Said they have no TSB on it and have no idea what it could be. Told me to bring it up on Monday 10/28/13 at 1:00 Pm and they would look at it. Just wondering what if anything they might find! They better fix it cause I am very touchy around carbon solvent smells and it makes me deathly sick!
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi With 6 Speed Automatic And 3:55 LSD Gears and 20 Inch Rubber
Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Tell them to open a call to Chrysler engineering about sulphur cured hoses reacting to OAT coolant. You can have them call Hillview motors in Greensburg and ask for Todd in service. He is familiar and might point them to the right place.

Last edited by paulswagelock; 10-25-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info Paul, I might just call Hillview myself and take it there. Tri Star has a bunch of Idiots working there and can't do much right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulswagelock View Post
Tell them to open a call to Chysler engineering about sulphur cured hoses reacting to OAT coolant. You can have them call Hillview motors in Greensburg and ask for Todd in service. He is familiar and might point them to the right place.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 3.6 Pentastar
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Amtraker is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone, I just joined this site for this very reason. I too bought a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. I put 1200 miles on it and it just stinks when I operate the heating or air conditioning. I'm taking the truck to the dealership this week and I'll let everyone know how it turned out. After spending so much money on this truck, I shouldn't have to spend time going back for service, very ticked here. If anyone has any other info that would be helpful to throw in their faces when I go, please let me know.