DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:531
Flatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of light

If it's on the outside of the hoses, why does it smell when yor remove the radiator cap? That smell is inside the system.

Also, if it is a reaction with the OAT coolant, why not just replace the coolant with a different type rather than replacing the hoses?

2014 Laramie QC 4x4, tan interior, 3.92's, sport hood, customized Moto Metal wheels & AT tires, LineX bed, rockers and fender flares, K&N Filter, cabin filter, "black ice" grill inserts, Putco bed rails, RollBac tonneau cover, LED bed lights, Mufflex 14" with Mufflex resonator and stock resonators, Moroso catch can and a "matching" 2008 special edition "Will Cooksey" Z06 - #139 of 505.
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Rep:40
BigDaddyHock is on a distinguished road

I asked the same question at dealer and they asked Chrysler. According to them, this new OAT coolant has to be completely flushed out (they said if anything is left it can clog up or something like that and highly recommend against it)

Not sure if I believe it but totally makes sense changing to another coolant since the smell inside the cab IS the coolant.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodg Ram 1500 BigHorn
Rep:10
johnefire52 is on a distinguished road
Default No Help At All Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnefire52 View Post
I am just wondering if any dealerships are compensating the owners of these defected trucks. Who wants to drive the truck when it smells that bad. we get headaches when in the vehicle. So far my truck sits at the dealership. They told me to take it it's driveable I said give me your vehicle and you drive mine. that was a NO. Anyone have any luck?
Just called the dealership and spoke to the service department about their conversation with Dodge Technical Support last week. Service department stated that Dodge instructed them to do nothing so their hands are tied. I said if dodge knew about this issue since may 2013 and they have no fix it solution, no hose replacement, and the tech department are working so hard to fix issue "NOT". Then why where we not told this by the you the dealership that this could happen prior to purchase. Thank you Mac Lang in Orillia, Ontario Canada
Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

I did a little research and got some contacts. I emailed the VP of Quality for Chrysler, and the VP in charge of the RAM truck division this morning. I expressed the concerns of quality, health, lack of communications, and lack of a fix.

See if anything comes of this.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal
Rep:45
Power Wagon is on a distinguished road

Well, so far my 2013 hasn't exhibited the smell, but from the sound of things I'm sure it will at some point. My truck is still quite new (under 500 miles) and I've literally put my nose against the rubber surface and I can't detect anything at all (not even a new rubber smell). I tried rubbing a little water onto the hose and smelling that, but nothing. So it must be a mileage and heat thing.

BTW, I tend to agree with the posters talking about the smell coming from an exterior source (ie : outside surface of the rubber). Several posters have indicated that they were able to eliminate the odor by scrubbing the exterior surface of the hoses. In my 45 years of driving vehicles, the only time I ever would catch a coolant smell was when a hose leaked or the heater core would spring a leak. Then you'd know something was leaking because coolant always had a distinctive odor. Through the years, I've seen many variants of coolant used, but they would never make their presence known unless they were escaping from the system.

On the other hand, that ChryCo STAR report indicates the problem is a reaction with the coolant and the hose. Maybe an odor escaping from the coolant overflow tank ?

Last edited by Power Wagon; 11-11-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:18
rjmlakota is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWRAMZ View Post
Anyone with a build after 04/2013 smelling anything? v8 or v6?
My build date is 10/18/2012 and I do not have a bad smell. I have 2013 Sport with the Hemi.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Sport Crew Cab
Rep:40
BigDaddyHock is on a distinguished road

Paulswagelock, hope you hear something back. The smell is starting to stick to my clothing which means it's penetrating the interior. HOW they can let this go on so long and not even inform the public is BEYOND me. I'm about ready to drive it back to the dealer and toss them the keys back. So disappointed!

The main problem is the OAT CRAP COOLANT. The stuff REEKS once mixed with water. Walk into a dealership and ask to smell a bottle of this crap already mixed, it will make you gag.

If others have opened their caps and smell the normal coolant scent, chances are they won't have the issue. When you fill the tank with stinky fish fart feet, add heat, and rubber tubes, it's a stink bomb that lingers under the hood and when the WOFT is just right, inside the cab it goes.

I bought a very expensive Fart and my wife just got a Dart.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
gp2011ram is on a distinguished road

I booked an appointment for my truck next week. Spoke with the service manager and gave him my case number. He read a statement he had from Chrysler stating exactly what has been said already on this forum. They know of the issue and the cause just no solution yet. If any of you get the story that they have never heard of it, that is a load of BS. I Will let them have a nice wiff of it then try to clean the hoses and see if it at least makes it smell less like the good people hear have shared. If I get more info or have a resolution, I will post.
The smell is getting a lot worse now though!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:237
SteelTownStang has a spectacular aura aboutSteelTownStang has a spectacular aura aboutSteelTownStang has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Wagon View Post

Well, so far my 2013 hasn't exhibited the smell, but from the sound of things I'm sure it will at some point. My truck is still quite new (under 500 miles) and I've literally put my nose against the rubber surface and I can't detect anything at all (not even a new rubber smell). I tried rubbing a little water onto the hose and smelling that, but nothing. So it must be a mileage and heat thing.

BTW, I tend to agree with the posters talking about the smell coming from an exterior source (ie : outside surface of the rubber). Several posters have indicated that they were able to eliminate the odor by scrubbing the exterior surface of the hoses. In my 45 years of driving vehicles, the only time I ever would catch a coolant smell was when a hose leaked or the heater core would spring a leak. Then you'd know something was leaking because coolant always had a distinctive odor. Through the years, I've seen many variants of coolant used, but they would never make their presence known unless they were escaping from the system.

On the other hand, that ChryCo STAR report indicates the problem is a reaction with the coolant and the hose. Maybe an odor escaping from the coolant overflow tank ?

Still no issues here, but I agree... the coolant system is a contained system. The odor has to be permeating from the exterior of the hoses... or not.
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:23
deathwarden5 is on a distinguished road

I have found washing the engine bay (with a engine degreaser or cleaner helps a bit more as well) will get rid of the smell for a week, maybe more.