DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:45
TinMan68 is on a distinguished road

Go to Dollar General store and pick up some LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner. Or Regular Dollar Stores have it too. Under Absolutely Awesome Cleaner. Best stuff I've found in years. I call it Pissy Fluid because its yellow and looks just like you know what. Get some terry cloth washcloths and soak one with this cleaner. Scrub the top, the bottom and the heater hoses real good. Rinse them and let dry. Go to maybe rite Aide or a store that has essential healing oils. Take your pick. I used Thiefs oil and coated the hoses when they were dry. You will probably smell the oils on the first start and first run. After sitting over night and the oils dry your smell should all be gone and stay gone. I been driving for 46 years working on cars since age 5 restoring muscle cars. And had 3 years in a parts store around 1966 or so. Also have 46 years in the union construction trades running jobs. I'm used to fixing what I'm told can't be fixed. No I'm not a teenager that's never done anything in life.

Good Luck!
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi With 6 Speed Automatic And 3:55 LSD Gears and 20 Inch Rubber
2002 A6 3.0L 30V Quattro Avant Auto
2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Model 6 Speed Manual
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal
Power Wagon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan68 View Post
Go to Dollar General store and pick up some LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner. Or Regular Dollar Stores have it too. Under Absolutely Awesome Cleaner. Best stuff I've found in years. I call it Pissy Fluid because its yellow and looks just like you know what. Get some terry cloth washcloths and soak one with this cleaner. Scrub the top, the bottom and the heater hoses real good. Rinse them and let dry. Go to maybe rite Aide or a store that has essential healing oils. Take your pick. I used Thiefs oil and coated the hoses when they were dry. You will probably smell the oils on the first start and first run. After sitting over night and the oils dry your smell should all be gone and stay gone. I been driving for 46 years working on cars since age 5 restoring muscle cars. And had 3 years in a parts store around 1966 or so. Also have 46 years in the union construction trades running jobs. I'm used to fixing what I'm told can't be fixed. No I'm not a teenager that's never done anything in life.

Good Luck!

Same here with regard to turning wrenches. Been restoring antique tractors and classic cars for over 35 years (2 MoPar muscle cars in the garage right now). Being that this is occurring on new trucks makes me think that the integrity of the cooling system has not been violated, so the smell must be coming from an exterior source. Then a number of you report clearing it up by a thorough cleaning and that would confirm it. If the rubber hoses are having a problem with the sulfur curing, then certainly it would seem reasonable that high heat would be driving the smell out of the rubber surface.

What has got me puzzled is that STAR report from ChryCo. Is this OAT coolant performing something similar to osmosis on the hoses ? Or are they barking up the wrong tree and the smell would occur no matter what type of coolant is used ?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal
Power Wagon is on a distinguished road

Sniffing around and found a little more information from a ChryCo STAR newsletter on HOAT and OAT. Looks like mixing the 2 coolants by mistake will cause a doozey of a problem (see page 4) :

http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsle...r_Oct_2012.pdf

Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 AM

Smile

Yes Mixing coolants is a no no unless its the type that will mix with anything. Have you put any new hoses on anything lately? Just for fun stop by a parts store and make an odd request. Ask if you can smell a new radiator hose. They have a foul smell to begin with. After 100 hours or so of heat on them they can get worse. GM had problems with Oat Antifreeze when they started using it years ago. I never followed what they did but I don't think they use it anymore. Even if they do a so called fix before any new hoses go on mine they will be scrubbed or they won't go on!

Good Luck!
I'm done Ranting!
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi With 6 Speed Automatic And 3:55 LSD Gears and 20 Inch Rubber
Old 11-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 8sp longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Max Steel
Rep:11
MaxDane1 is on a distinguished road

This is a follow up from my previous post on my smell problem. They changed - all hoses, resivor, flushed with cascade dish cleaner, re-filled with coolant. Within a fews days the smell was back they flushed it again (with cascade) and there hasn't been a smell snice (its been 800kms and 7 weeks). I hope the cascade dosen't harm anything. I am not ssure if its just my truck but I smell regular coolant smell every now and then, and most often by the overflow tank. The inensity of smell is similar to walking by a car with a pin hole leak that has been sitting till cool +- 20min. I have rinsed the engine a few times, could it be some residual coolant or is this normal for 2013?
Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 AM

It could be the new hoses. Have them scrub them to get that rubbery smell off of them. Being as I have been chemically poisoned I can smell things most people can't and even window cleaner will set me off. I stay away from cleaning products isle and Rubbermaid isle in stores. Plastics isle too.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:10
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulswagelock View Post
I did a little research and got some contacts. I emailed the VP of Quality for Chrysler, and the VP in charge of the RAM truck division this morning. I expressed the concerns of quality, health, lack of communications, and lack of a fix.

See if anything comes of this.
Well, I certainly got their attention. The owner of my dealership called me today. Seems my emails got circulated all over the Chrysler boardroom members, and I became a priority.

Parts promised for Monday of next week. Pulling them from the production floor. Dealership owner offered me his personal truck as a loaner if I wanted it.

I will keep you up to date as to whether they meet their new commitments. I wish this is the treatment we all received without becoming a thorn.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 AM

My parts man at the dealership called me today and said he had 3 of the hoses and the last one should be here next week too. I told him about things that I had found out and I think he changed his mind on what Chrysler is telling him. He said hes going to be checking a lot more things here in the next few days also!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Larimie
Trim Level: Larimie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Rep:10
jimbopa is on a distinguished road
Angry OH That Smell Cant you Smell that Smell

First, I love my new 2013 Dodge Ram-my third Ram in the last ten years but this is getting crazy and it's like that Seinfeld Episode where a valet takes Jerry's car and now it has a case of bad Body Odor. I picked this unit up in Aug, has teh eight speed tranny and leather-larimie edition so it's loaded. I didnt notice a bad smell for a few days then it hit me, my truck smells like bad bo. The Ram help line said they dont have any recalls, that i need to take it to the dealer-I see 149 posts here that demonstrate they have a know problem-wake up !!

I will take it back in for teh dealer to open a case, it's getting to be winter here in PA and now with teh heater on it smell bad.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:28
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Whiskey Bottles and brand new cars.....Ole oak tree in the way....OOOOh that smell can't ya smell that smell!!!lol