DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
sounds like a really good dealer, where in pa?
Hillview motors, greensburg pa. East of Pittsburgh.
Really good dealership, have had a few cars from them over the years.
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Larimie
Trim Level: Larimie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
jimbopa is on a distinguished road

Still no word from the dealer which is motorwold in Wilkes barre pa or dodge. I have a case established now for a month. Star is working on a fix I am told. Dealer won't do anything and dodge customer relations are worthless, just a bunch of call center agents that cannot talk to star and that dealers do not call back . They have zero power to help. I did file the lemon law today, well I submitted to an attorney who specializes in this not sure if he will take case but he is reviewing. I am doing an air quality test to see if the muse are toxic as my kids and I get head aches driving this pig. I try to avoid using it. All this money, nearly 53 k for what. If anyone has any ideas please send a note. Thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Color: White
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

Keep us all informed on the air quality test and lawsuit. Precedence is important.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Prairie Pearl Coat
Rep:46
R@mF@n is on a distinguished road
Default Bad smell = BIG warranty issue!!

I got fed up with mine last Saturday when my 4 year old started crying when I said we were going to get the christmas tree & taking the truck. I took it to the dealership & they gave me a loaner to drive. I have asked if this smell is harmful to the occupants- they won't answer but they did give me a loaner. I got a call last Tuesday- dealership had a regional tech onsite. he said they could get me new hoses & flush. He said that it wouldn't be the permanent fix but would buy me some temporary relief while they manufacture new hoses which would come from a new vendor. He said those new hoses would not be available until Feb / March! I said ok go ahead and do the temporary fix then. He said "ok" I will transfer you to the parts manager so they can order them for you. The manager looked them up in the system and informed me that he could only get 3 of the 5 hoses and those 2 hoses would not be available until sometime after Christmas! At this point I'm stunned. My truck was manufactured on 5/13/2013. Please start posting your manufacturing date so we can see if they we were all made at the same time.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:34 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

My 2013 Longhorn was manufactured 4/16/2013 and still has no unusual smells to date after 6100 miles.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:40
james1114 is on a distinguished road

My 2014 Laramie Longhorn was built on August 2013. I have 1,200 miles on it...no bad smell.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab
Color: Deep Cherry
Rep:531
Flatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of light

It does not appear it has anything to do with manufacturer date because we are seeing trucks all the way from 2013 to current that have the smell and that don't have the smell. Some other variable is happening. Either they are getting hoses from multiple vendors and one vendor is the culprit or there is some ingredient that a sole vendor is getting from multiple vendors where one vendor is the culprit. Something is causing the seemingly randomness of this issue. If it was a multiple hose vendor situation, you'd think they could get the production codes off the affected trucks and trace it back and this would have been resolved by now. Makes me think a single hose vendor has some variable that they don't understand. Could also be a supply variable with the vendor mixing the OAT junk.

What a mess! I feel real bad for the guys dealing with this. Looks like a crap shoot for the rest of us that are under 3,000 miles or so just waiting to see if our trucks will become "stinkers".

2014 Laramie QC 4x4, tan interior, 3.92's, sport hood, customized Moto Metal wheels & AT tires, LineX bed, rockers and fender flares, K&N Filter, cabin filter, "black ice" grill inserts, Putco bed rails, RollBac tonneau cover, LED bed lights, Mufflex 14" with Mufflex resonator and stock resonators, Moroso catch can and a "matching" 2008 special edition "Will Cooksey" Z06 - #139 of 505.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite
Rep:99
TJC.geotech will become famous soon enough

Just turned 5000 miles on mine, and the smell has just shown up. It is not as strong as some of you are reporting though, but I have not driven mine in warmer weather yet. It is definitely a 'propane' like rotten egg smell.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Another 4/13 build that doesnt stink after 5000 miles - yet.

Back in 1999 or so I bought my wife a new Impala and thats when GM was making the move to dexcool. Since the day I bought it smelled like antifreeze and after a year it stunk really bad, they changed the overflow bottle, hoses and flushed it and it came back after a couple months.

I ended up getting rid of the thing, smells can really get to you after a while and my wife insisted that my clothes were starting to smell like the inside of that car. I was kind of used to it after a while but every time someone went for a ride the first thing they would ask is if there was a dead something under the hood so I know what people are going through..
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

We just had a customer with a 2013 RAM come into the dealership where I work about a week ago complaining about a bad smell coming from the engine compartment, and holy hell was he right, that thing straight up stank! We ended up contacting Chrysler on what we should do and they told us that their new OAT coolant is reacting badly with the rubber used to make the hoses and there is no fix yet so return the vehicle to the customer.

Kinda crappy I thought, but I'm willing to bet that there will be a recall in the near future where you will either get new coolant or different hoses. Or maybe a coolant additive that stops the smell.

The whole problem here it that they got rid of the Mopar HOAT coolant (which was hands down the best coolant I have ever seen) and went to a form of dexcool (GM coolant) Dexcool is garbage, it smells horrible, it corrodes everything it touches, it loves to plug up radiators and heater cores, it eats gaskets and seals. Its GARBAGE! But good ol' Fiat made us switch to it.

One word of advice to anyone who is thinking of changing the coolant in their 2013 to the coolant used in 2012 and older vehicle, DO NOT DO IT. They are not compatible and they turn into a jello when mixed. Your entire engine has to be torn down to remove it, radiator and heater core have to be replaced, and all your hoses have to be replaced. And warranty will not pick up that bill. So just wait it out, grab a little pine tree air freshener.

Last edited by frickenbored; 12-07-2013 at 01:45 PM.