DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Larimie
Trim Level: Larimie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jimbopa is on a distinguished road

The date of build on my stink machine is June 2013. Oh that smell can't ya smell that smell
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: maximum steel
troym is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 Ram Sport Stinks

I took my 2 month old 2013 Ram (5000 miles) to the dealer because the smell was getting so bad my family no longer wants to ride in my new truck. At first I thought I picked up some roadkill that was decaying but thanks to your posts I took it in. This is what I was told after 2 days of silence from the dealer.

Chrylser knows about it but they have no fix yet. The dealer said they would flush out the coolant though and when I probed them they said there was a TSB which I asked for. Its 07-004-12 Rev A and it states that Chrysler has released a new engine coolant for the 2013 models and beyond. The coolant is an OAT. It also goes on to say not to mix the coolants (OAT, HOAT or IAT). I continued to probe them because the technicians note on my receipt said my truck had mixed coolant in it (had orange but it was supposed to be purple). I then probed more because I find it hard to believe a new truck would have mixed fluid from the factory.

Next they told me the real issue is a reaction of the fluid with the weld material used in the radiator. "A problem with the metallurgy". As I asked for more information the technican said that came from a conversation they had with Chrysler but he clearly didn't know any details or facts. Anybody heard this?

I've got to admit I'm frustrated and just hoping the odor goes away.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

The mopar OAT coolant is a strange coolant when its cold it looks purple and when it gets hot it looks more orange, maybe thats why they said it was mixed. If it was truly mixed it would be the consistency of jello and you would have overheated your engine. I haven't heard of the metallurgy problem, but at this point Chrysler is probably just saying whatever customers wanna hear untill they come up with a fix.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

Courtesy of another poster in a parallel post on this issue:

Here is the latest TSB released to chrysler techs. It is regarding the smell issue faced by some members on this forum in their trucks. let me know what you guys think. There is a fix for this but chrysler is not authorizing dealers to perform it

Case Number: 1307000003
Release Date: 10/24/2013
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Foul Odor Or Smell Emitted From Engine Compartment And HVAC Vents
Discussion:
Customers may notice a foul odor entering the vehicle that may also be noticed when approaching the front of the vehicle. The foul odor is more noticeable as the engine reaches operating temperature. Engineering has determined the cause of the odor is a reaction between Organic Additive Technology (OAT) coolant and certain compounds used in sulfur cured hoses. Engineering is working to resolve the issue by changing the hose compound. No repairs should be performed to the vehicle at this time. Although the issue is bothersome it has no effect on the durability or longevity of the cooling system components.
Note: This STAR Online will be monitored and updated as repair information becomes available.

Thanks to post author-Brandon
Old 12-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
metis motors is on a distinguished road

Hey, there mister johnefire52 I'm from alberta and I'm taking my truck in to Edmonton in the morning . Have you had any luck with your truck?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:44 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
rdm1465 is on a distinguished road

I just noticed the smell the other day and did not give it much thought. I was parked near where they were working on the sewer system. Today, I go into the garage, opened the door to the truck and got a whiff of the offending smell. Reminded me of the first generation cat. converter, only stronger. Here is the kicker on the mileage. I got the truck on Dec. 1, 2013. It does even have 400 miles on it yet. So those of you that got thousands of miles on it first are lucky?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Rep:267
Ahays63 is a jewel in the roughAhays63 is a jewel in the roughAhays63 is a jewel in the rough

just rolled over 1000 miles on mine and popped open my radiator cap today day and the only way i could smell anything was if i stuck my nose in the cap almost...the smell reminded me of propane like people talk but it wasnt that faint....yet hopefully mines one of the lucky ones and doesnt progressively get worse
Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
metis motors is on a distinguished road

Well I took my truck into the dealership yesterday for that horrible smell and they played dumb and said it was probably a dead mouse under the intake causing the smell. I asked if they had heard of this condition before and they said they had not. they told me that they get the latest updates from Chrysler and there had been nothing about a bad odor. I then asked them if any other customers had reported the same issue and they said no. very annoying! even after I told them this is a documented problem with many people reporting the same thing, they just stood there. when I got home and in the house I stunk. I'm not sure what to do now, phone Chrysler Canada I guess.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Prairie Pearl Coat
Rep:46
R@mF@n is on a distinguished road
Default Different Smell today- things are looking better

I got a call today from the service manager @ my Dodge dealership. He informed me that my truck was ready. My truck had sat at the dealership for 11 days while they waited for 2 of the 5 hoses to come in. They replaced all 5 hoses (no mention of replacing the overflow reservoir) and flushed the cooling system. Hopefully this smell does NOT come back. I am looking forward to putting some miles on it this weekend with my family.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Color: White
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

Mine is scheduled for Thursday morning. The plan was an experiment to see if they change the coolant now that the smell has lessened, will it go away.

But, I received the notice today that my new hoses are all finally in. So, I am not sure what they will do tomorrow. I suppose I want the new hoses not just new coolant. I will let you know when I get it back what they did.