DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Quad Cab Sport Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
murph145 is on a distinguished road

New member here. Joined because of this reason, luckily I deiced to do a google search and this popped up!

Just bought my 2014 Ram Quad Cab Sport with Hemi back in October all was fine until I hit around the 3,000 mile mark. Then the smell started.... I thought I was going crazy it was nasty! My dad said probably a rat is in the engine and died. I thought to myself naww that can't be it I don't live in a rat infested neighborhood and after 2 weeks of this constant smell I am now here.

So I guess I need to take the truck back to the dealer and hopefully they know about this or I will have to inform them of this. It really does smell like something died its pretty bad! Lately when I drive I drive with the in cab circulation button on for the air and that really helps but yea if I don't do that then it makes me feel sick. Also when I exit the truck or go through a fast food drive through it smells nasty and I feel bad for the person at the window lol.

Anyways hopefully the dealer will take care of this situation.

Last edited by murph145; 12-15-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2013, 05:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White
Rep:24
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site. Sorry you have a stink truck too.They claim to be working on it,but most dealers we think have been schooled to say they never herd of it. So you will have to inform them let them have an afternoon of keeping your truck and wait on a fix. Some had trucks replaced others have loaners with the balance of us waiting. But the Ram is an awesome truck its just that smell....ooo that smell!!!

Last edited by ramit355; 12-16-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit355 View Post
Welcome to the site. Sorry you have a stink truck too.They claim to be working on it,but most dealers we think have been schooled to say they never herd of it. So you will have to inform them let them have an afternoon of keeping your truck and wait on a fix. Some had trucks replaced others have loaners with the balance of us waiting. But the Ram is an awesome truck its just that smell....ooo that smell!!!
Thats standard procedure, tell people they never heard of it, it worked OK before the internet but doesnt work too well now.

If they admit there is a problem with ALL 2013 Rams then that can cost them millions. Many people will start smelling things that arent there as well. I dont hang around many forums but one would think if it was a coolant/hose problem then just about every new Chrysler product should have stinkers. I doubt they source the hoses or coolant for the Rams from one place only.

Since it seems to be random my guess is the stinkers are getting air in the cooling system or maybe a tiny bit of combustion gas - that just drives OAT coolant nuts. Or they got a few bad batches of coolant, some person could have peed in the mix in some 3rd world coolant factory - who knows. Could also simply be people adding the wrong coolant at PDI to top them off. My dealer parts department didnt even know they changed the coolant in 2013 a couple months ago, they sold me a gallon of the wrong stuff for my '13 Jeep. They were surprised when they seen what the '13 coolant cost so who knows what they have been pouring into the new '13s.

It takes a while to figure out exactly why its happening, once engineering can figure out exactly why its happening then they can fix it. The casting sand doesnt sound like a good reason, leftover sand in 3.6s have been clogging up heater cores and radiators for quite a while now I havent seen any complaints of odor - just running hot and no heat.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
yea the smell is just lovely smells like something large died in my engine luckily so far keeping the in cabin circulation on for the AC system has helped mitigate any smell in the cab but man as soon as you rool down the window and come to a stop light or you exit your truck you get a huge smack in the face! My girl exited my truck yesterday and ran past the front of it holding her breath lol. Luckily I have a Lexus as my second car so typically the truck is work only but ewww cant stand the stink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ48 View Post
Thats standard procedure, tell people they never heard of it, it worked OK before the internet but doesnt work too well now.

If they admit there is a problem with ALL 2013 Rams then that can cost them millions. Many people will start smelling things that arent there as well. I dont hang around many forums but one would think if it was a coolant/hose problem then just about every new Chrysler product should have stinkers. I doubt they source the hoses or coolant for the Rams from one place only.

Since it seems to be random my guess is the stinkers are getting air in the cooling system or maybe a tiny bit of combustion gas - that just drives OAT coolant nuts. Or they got a few bad batches of coolant, some person could have peed in the mix in some 3rd world coolant factory - who knows. Could also simply be people adding the wrong coolant at PDI to top them off. My dealer parts department didnt even know they changed the coolant in 2013 a couple months ago, they sold me a gallon of the wrong stuff for my '13 Jeep. They were surprised when they seen what the '13 coolant cost so who knows what they have been pouring into the new '13s.

It takes a while to figure out exactly why its happening, once engineering can figure out exactly why its happening then they can fix it. The casting sand doesnt sound like a good reason, leftover sand in 3.6s have been clogging up heater cores and radiators for quite a while now I havent seen any complaints of odor - just running hot and no heat.
So I am wondering if the smell is caused by the OAT coolant reacting with the rubber hoses why do we smell it? Shouldn't it be self contained inside the cooling system? The coolant isnt hitting the outside of the hoses and making the smell that way?

One thing I did notice yesterday after I turned off my truck and popped the hood that the radiator cap was making a slight hissing noise like it was releasing pressure maybe the smell is coming from that or maybe from the top off reservoir tank since it probably has a open breather hole?? Just trying to figure out why the smell is escaping.

Love the truck but man the stink has got to go!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I know that this doesn't help much:

This is what MOPAR has said in the STARPARTS Newsletter

HOAT (Hybrid Organic) to OAT (Organic) Coolant Transition
2013 Vehicles
All 2013 vehicles manufactured for NAFTA use a new coolant type called OAT which contains only organic components.
2000 – 2012 Vehicles
2000 – 2012 vehicles manufactured for NAFTA use a hybrid organic coolant called HOAT which consists of a combination of organic additives (fully neutralized organic acids) and one or more inorganic materials.
In fact, if you mix the two coolants by mistake – you could end up with a serious problem as shown in the picture below.
Also, if OAT-type coolant is mixed with HOAT-type coolant at greater than 95/5 ratio, corrosion inhibition will be severely reduced or eliminated. That means if one of your technicians adds the wrong coolant type to a customer’s vehicle – it will be very expensive to resolve and may require replacing the engine.
If you add HOAT to an OAT system in error, or the reverse – what happens?
If you add up to 5% - nothing will happen. But if you add more than 5% it will lead to a corrosion problem inside the engine.
http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsle...r_Oct_2012.pdf
__________________________________________________ _________________
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-16-2013, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 CC 4x4
Trim Level: 1500 Longhorn 4x4
Color: Western Brown Monotone
Rep:92
lowfast will become famous soon enough

^ Hope for Ram's sake and all of ours the techs read this and don't forget.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Taking my truck in to the dealer tomorrow. Person on the phone acted like they never heard of this before. I find it hard to believe that a dealership that says they sell 60+ rams a month has not had any other experience with this issue.

Pulled the radiator cap off to show my pops so he believed me and man it really smells like a dead fish in there so odd.

I will let you guys know what they say.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph145 View Post
Taking my truck in to the dealer tomorrow. Person on the phone acted like they never heard of this before. I find it hard to believe that a dealership that says they sell 60+ rams a month has not had any other experience with this issue.

Pulled the radiator cap off to show my pops so he believed me and man it really smells like a dead fish in there so odd.

I will let you guys know what they say.
Its no good smell and you brought up some thoughts all of has so far as where the smell coming from. No one knows for sure as we just hope and wait. But your dead right on the smell has got to go!!!Glad you will keep us posted and likewise on this end too.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I know that this doesn't help much:

This is what MOPAR has said in the STARPARTS Newsletter

HOAT (Hybrid Organic) to OAT (Organic) Coolant Transition
2013 Vehicles
All 2013 vehicles manufactured for NAFTA use a new coolant type called OAT which contains only organic components.
2000 – 2012 Vehicles
2000 – 2012 vehicles manufactured for NAFTA use a hybrid organic coolant called HOAT which consists of a combination of organic additives (fully neutralized organic acids) and one or more inorganic materials.
In fact, if you mix the two coolants by mistake – you could end up with a serious problem as shown in the picture below.
Also, if OAT-type coolant is mixed with HOAT-type coolant at greater than 95/5 ratio, corrosion inhibition will be severely reduced or eliminated. That means if one of your technicians adds the wrong coolant type to a customer’s vehicle – it will be very expensive to resolve and may require replacing the engine.
If you add HOAT to an OAT system in error, or the reverse – what happens?
If you add up to 5% - nothing will happen. But if you add more than 5% it will lead to a corrosion problem inside the engine.
http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsle...r_Oct_2012.pdf
__________________________________________________ _________________
GT that is some mean guck in that hose. You have to wonder we have debris already in our system clogging up water pump,seals etc etc.So far the Casting Debris sounds logical as well that has been posted.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Its no good smell and you brought up some thoughts all of has so far as where the smell coming from. No one knows for sure as we just hope and wait. But your dead right on the smell has got to go!!!Glad you will keep us posted and likewise on this end too.
sounds good yea it seems like multiple things are making this smell from the actual fluid itself smelling like dead fish and the hoses when you smell them smell like a burnt crusty rubber so I think when those too smells combine its just nasty hopefully they do something because now that I realize what it is it annoys me haha