DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Big Joe is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Bad news for my 08 Ram Hemi:-(

Hey guys!! I have some bad news to report about my 08 Ram hemi, no it didn't get crashed, but still bad. Last week the wife was driving my Ram home when I was on the road for the week doing my job, driving my gasoline tanker truck, when I got a call from her!! She said your truck broke down and won't re-start. I said ok let's call a tow truck and have it towed to the dodge dealer, and so she did. The dealer called me and stated that it seems the timing chain had jumped out of time causing the truck to quit running and did they have my permission to go into it further!! I said how much will it $ and was told 315.00. I gave them the go ahead and they called me back later and said we have some bad news for you, your timing chain not only jumped, but actually broke in half!!!! Your hemi is shot and a new one cost 8 thousand to put in with everything including labor!! :-( I said why is my engine shot??? He said that the timing chain tensioner gave out and the complete right side of it is gone, chewed up into little shavings of plastic along with metal which went down into my oil!! Cylinders 5 and 6 have only 25 psi compression and that leads us to believe that the valves got hit by those pistons and bent them in the open position! I told them how would they know there bent, they could just be I the open position unable to move with a broken timing chain. I got it could be but that's what we are assuming. Also the one of the mounting studs on the cast iron block for mounting you oil pump to is 1/4 of the way ground off. I paid the 315.00 on it and had the truck towed to another shop that I used before and did awesome work for a reasonable price, Greg's trans-electric, who specializes in transmissions and electric repair but does everything, great guy by the way. We looked into fixing the engine but decided to find another one do to cost! He found me another 08 hemi out of a wrecked Ram for 1900.00 with compression at 180 across the board and 80 psi oil pressure when cold and 60 when warm. We came to the conclusion that the hemi in my pickup had 120k on it and would cost as much to repair or put this other engine in and have a six month warranty and 45k. He got the engine yesterday 5/10/13 and started to replace all the gaskets and took the oil pump cover off, checked the timing chain and everything looks perfect he said!!! :-) it should be done next week!!! Also when I asked if this was a problem with these at the dealer they said no this is the 1st one we have ever seen and we are scratching our heads???? What caused this part to fail!! They said its just a fluke and a bad deal. They wanted my to trade my beautiful 08 ram in and sell me a used chevy silverado,, them are almost fighting words!! I don't care if my truck had a fluke brake down, I love my dodge even after all this I would still buy it again!! The truck never made any funny noise, always had gobs of power and throttle response and never gave me an indication it was having a problem, I have only put 2k on it since I bought it and had only changed the oil when I bought it. I used Schaffer 7000 synthetic blend and a napa gold oil filter. When I pulled the dip stick the oil never had any metal in it and was always clean. I think the filter caught most of it, and the engine could have been repaired but for the money, 3500.00 this was a better route! I will see if I can take pics of the new engine going in on Monday, but I didn't get any of the old engine, which I never thought about until it was to late. Wish me luck guy, but I think everything will be ok!!!! Thanks for reading this, and don't worry about your ram, this was a fluke and one that has not been seen from what I have been told, oh and the place we got the engine was called parts unlimited in victor montana, they also have a web site, just punch it in and it should pull up! They have lots and lots of wrecked ram pickups, and the other no name brands to like chevy, or better called government motors, and fix or repair daily trucks as well lol!!!! If your looking for anything give them a look see and maybe they will have what your looking for!!! Thanks again guys!
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2516
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Too bad, a tough nut to swallow but sounds like you are on your way to be rolling again. Best of luck.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Ill take Heremes1 word and offer my well wishes.

I'll be honest, I can't read what you wrote.

Grub out!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: True-Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
OptimusPrime2011 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about that! I'm scratching my head as well. I have my fingers crossed for you!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I had a Toyota Tacoma that was built without timing chain tensioners! Luckily I got the dealer to tear down the motor before the 36,000 mile warrantee ran out. Caught it before complete destruction, but I sold it after, because i figured there was crap floating around in the motor.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Holy wall of text batman!

There have been cases with the 5.7L timing chain tensioners failing which causes the chain to jump, especially when coming off the throttle. This change in timing causes piston/valve contact and generally other mayhem in the heads. Most times it's just a complete top-end replacement to fix but if the piston is toast and cylinder scoured then it's a new engine.

Sorry to hear you got bit that that bug.