DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
JoelAdams is on a distinguished road
Default Trailer Brake controller fitment.

I made this really elaborate post of my experience confirming, locating, and installing the oem trailer brake controller and module. I promptly closed the browser by complete accident and lost the entire post.

I uploaded my pics of my truck at 3 day old getting tore apart.

If anyone needs a first hand accounting on this topic, I'll be glad to run it all down again but my ADD is preventing me from rewriting it tonight .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130422_190453_River Bluff Ln.jpg (129.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 20130422_190502_River Bluff Ln.jpg (129.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 20130422_190510_River Bluff Ln.jpg (125.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 20130422_190332_River Bluff Ln.jpg (122.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 20130422_190429_River Bluff Ln.jpg (123.0 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by JoelAdams; 05-12-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2013, 04:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

GREAT pictures, nice & clear

is that the RA1 4 line radio?
or the RA2 5" with Uconnect
they are both made by CONTI, short for Continental
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-12-2013, 06:29 AM
MOPAR or no Car

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black / Gold
Rep:145
madhatr02 will become famous soon enoughmadhatr02 will become famous soon enough

Nicely Done, looks factory !!!

2013 Laramie Longhorn
aka "The Enterprise"
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
GREAT pictures, nice & clear

is that the RA1 4 line radio?
or the RA2 5" with Uconnect
they are both made by CONTI, short for Continental

That I do not know. That isn't something I have looked into yet, sorry man. My truck has the basic system. No nav no uconnect but I would be curious to know if it was wired for it. It seems it is wired for almost any extra.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
shenanigans is on a distinguished road

I was hoping someone would be attempting this soon, thanks for posting the pics! What was the stock part #s and prices to get it set up
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 AM

I bought it from a dealer close to me, but not my local dealer. I paid 238.00 plus tax for a total of 258.23. They happened to have three in stock. You can find them cheaper online, but I wanted physical interaction with it before i bought it. I took it out to my truck and plugged it in to the plug that were suspected to be for the brake controller, to make sure I was in the right track.

My dealer flashed the truck for me the next day for 125.00 but you can get it cheaper, I am, sure because my dealer is a rapist and always has been.

The part number is 82213474.

It took me about 2 hours to install it.

First and foremost you must establish if you are prewired for it. There will be 2 plug hanging out under behind the key hole on the left side of the dash board. One is a 4 pin and I believe the other is like a 6-8 pin but maybe only 4 wires in it.

The instructions are ok but they infer that you can go in from the center of the dash and screw it to the dash frame, but you can not. It mounts properly but you will not be able to use but one factory screw in the proper hole on the truck. In one of the pictures It show how I used a self tapping screw and just tapped it through under the factory hole. I got the top screw to go in fairly easy but not anymore. SO I was able to self tap, then one factory screw, then I zip tied the bottom and it is rock solid.

I took the bottom plastic piece off under the steering wheel. I didn't remove the hood latch I just tucked it away under the brake peddle and out of the way. I took the dash pieces of. There are these little white clips. I mean there is like 12-15 on the facia. When you remove it they are gonna fly everywhere so you have to be aware of where they are flying. I found some lying on the sides of the stereo inside and one made it just under the carpet. I took the tray out, and the bottom piece as well on the center console. It is held together by 4-6 clips bigger in size. The very top tray above the stereo has 2 screw under the tray insert you will have to remove first. the plug for the controller is plugged into a dummy plug to keep it in place. It is very easy to install that one.

My dealer was completely ignorant to what I was trying to do, they were no help. I took all my paperwork from the part and from what I learned on the forum, so I would feel better about them flashing it. I believe the code the flash it with is XHC.

Once it was flashed, it showed up as one of the options in the menu. I could push the + sign and it would increase the number. I took it home and grabbed the trailer and set off to adjust it. It works great it will lock the trailer tires up on 5.5.

Do you have any questions at this point? Let me know and I can go further in to detail.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The RA1 Conti radio does not come with Uconnect & at this time it is NOT upgradeable

The RA2 5" Conti radio comes with Uconnect

The RA3 & RA4 both have the large 8.4 touch screen, there are basically the same

this is a general breakdown of the 2013 radios
http://www.allpar.com/corporate/tech/uconnect.html
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Rep:10
joeramirez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelAdams View Post
I bought it from a dealer close to me, but not my local dealer. I paid 238.00 plus tax for a total of 258.23. They happened to have three in stock. You can find them cheaper online, but I wanted physical interaction with it before i bought it. I took it out to my truck and plugged it in to the plug that were suspected to be for the brake controller, to make sure I was in the right track.

My dealer flashed the truck for me the next day for 125.00 but you can get it cheaper, I am, sure because my dealer is a rapist and always has been.

The part number is 82213474.

It took me about 2 hours to install it.

First and foremost you must establish if you are prewired for it. There will be 2 plug hanging out under behind the key hole on the left side of the dash board. One is a 4 pin and I believe the other is like a 6-8 pin but maybe only 4 wires in it.

The instructions are ok but they infer that you can go in from the center of the dash and screw it to the dash frame, but you can not. It mounts properly but you will not be able to use but one factory screw in the proper hole on the truck. In one of the pictures It show how I used a self tapping screw and just tapped it through under the factory hole. I got the top screw to go in fairly easy but not anymore. SO I was able to self tap, then one factory screw, then I zip tied the bottom and it is rock solid.

I took the bottom plastic piece off under the steering wheel. I didn't remove the hood latch I just tucked it away under the brake peddle and out of the way. I took the dash pieces of. There are these little white clips. I mean there is like 12-15 on the facia. When you remove it they are gonna fly everywhere so you have to be aware of where they are flying. I found some lying on the sides of the stereo inside and one made it just under the carpet. I took the tray out, and the bottom piece as well on the center console. It is held together by 4-6 clips bigger in size. The very top tray above the stereo has 2 screw under the tray insert you will have to remove first. the plug for the controller is plugged into a dummy plug to keep it in place. It is very easy to install that one.

My dealer was completely ignorant to what I was trying to do, they were no help. I took all my paperwork from the part and from what I learned on the forum, so I would feel better about them flashing it. I believe the code the flash it with is XHC.

Once it was flashed, it showed up as one of the options in the menu. I could push the + sign and it would increase the number. I took it home and grabbed the trailer and set off to adjust it. It works great it will lock the trailer tires up on 5.5.

Do you have any questions at this point? Let me know and I can go further in to detail.
Can you post pictures of the center console removal or whatever the section that includes the cup holders is called?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 AM

I don't have them, however it is quite easy. The square in this pic is where the 2 screws are. They are under the tray liner. Take them out and carefully remove the tray by pulling up from under the dash. The circles are where the little white clips are. There will come out with a little force just be careful. It is best if you secure some trim removal equipment. That will keep any permanent scarring in the plastic to a minimum, I did not have them and I did not scratch anything.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater