DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 02 Dodge Ram/92 IROC R/T
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:67
02 Ram will become famous soon enough
Default tranny flush

i wanna do a flush since i dont know what the PO did before i bought the truck. fluid is a brown color. dont think it smells burnt yet. i know dropping the pan wont get it all out. should i drop the pan or have a flush done? ive read its not a good idea to do flushes, why i dont know. one said due to not knowing what fluids will mix when a shop does the flush. any help would be greatly appreciated. TAI

Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I talked to a local transmission guy about transmissions
he said that a particle of dirt can get caught in the valve body
He also suggested that GM vehicles should have a fluid changes quite often

I went with a complete flush & changed BOTH transmission filters at 44,000 miles on my Ram & i went with Royal Purple fluid, because i don't think i will be doing it again

Many people drop the transmission pan, pull out the valve body & clean & inspect it, change out the 2 filters & put everything back together & refill with new fluid
this process only leaves 5 quarts of the older fluid in the torque converter & the lines that go to the trans cooler & it mixes with the new fluid when you drive it
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-12-2013, 07:07 PM

so will that be OK to do if 5 quarts are left? thanks for the help BTW

Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I can only say that i have not heard anything bad about doing it that way
just use the MOPAR compatible transmission fluid

I wouldn't put Royal Purple, AMSOIL, or another costly brand while doing it that way

you can watch this crazy guy do some of it

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I can only say that i have not heard anything bad about doing it that way
just use the MOPAR compatible transmission fluid

I wouldn't put Royal Purple, AMSOIL, or another costly brand while doing it that way

you can watch this crazy guy do some of it

Or if you do not mind the added expense, you could just drop the pan to drain the fluid, put the pan back on add the fluid of your choice. Then drive it a bit, drop the pan, change the filters etc. and then add more of the fluid of choice. Then you should have all clean fresh fluid.

Last edited by Hermes1; 05-12-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Content.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

When changing your fluid and filters, any fluid that is labeled as MEETING the ATF+4 spec will work fine. Do not use fluids that are marketed as "replacement for" or "compatible with" ATF+4 (etc.). Some dealers stock Mopar ATF+4 in bulk (55 gallon drums). Last time I checked, this bulk fluid (sold by the quart) cost $5.15 list per quart. So you could check with your dealer and see if you can bring your own jug and buy some that way. The part number (for one quart of bulk fluid) is 68055894AA. Or see if you can find it cheaper at your local parts store, Wal-Mart, etc.

Changing the fluid and filters should not cause a trans to get screwed up, UNLESS one of the filters (usually, the main sump filter) is installed incorrectly. The main sump filter has a snout that plugs into a bore in the pump housing. There is a seal at this connection (which is pressed into the pump bore). If the old seal is OK (no cuts or nicks, and won't easily pop out) then leave it in and re-use it. If you replace the seal, the new seal MUST be installed into the pump bore, and tapped in flush against the casting all the way around (not cocked). Do NOT put the seal on the filter snout!! The other filter (the spin-on one) goes on like a conventional engine oil filter. Spin it in until the gasket contacts the case face, then turn it another 1/2 turn or so BY HAND until it's snug. Do NOT overtorque it, since the threaded snout on this filter is plastic and will crack if you crank it down too tight.

You can actually "flush" your own trans if you want. Here is how to do it with an RFE-series trans (545RFE / 65RFE / 66RFE / 68RFE): First, do a fluid drain and refill (and filter change) by dropping the oil pan. Then, you need to get the old oil out of the converter. When running in Park (or Neutral), oil from the converter is sent to the cooler. So you can disconnect one of the cooler lines and then pump out the converter by idling it in Park. But you don't want to run the trans dry. You also need to PLUG the other side of the cooler line (the return side) because otherwise the pump will suck air through that line. Note that the UPPER line at the trans is "to cooler" and the lower line is the return line.

On an RFE trans, you can typically run it down about 1 gallon low before the pump starts sucking air. So overfill it by 1 quart, and then do the pump-out-the-cooler-line routine until you've drained 4 quarts. That should leave you 3 quarts low. Refill and repeat.

The diesel (68RFE) converter holds just a hair under 2 gallons. Gas engine converters hold less than that. So draining two gallons out the cooler line should flush out the converter pretty well.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
When changing your fluid and filters, any fluid that is labeled as MEETING the ATF+4 spec will work fine. Do not use fluids that are marketed as "replacement for" or "compatible with" ATF+4 (etc.). Some dealers stock Mopar ATF+4 in bulk (55 gallon drums). Last time I checked, this bulk fluid (sold by the quart) cost $5.15 list per quart. So you could check with your dealer and see if you can bring your own jug and buy some that way. The part number (for one quart of bulk fluid) is 68055894AA. Or see if you can find it cheaper at your local parts store, Wal-Mart, etc.

Changing the fluid and filters should not cause a trans to get screwed up, UNLESS one of the filters (usually, the main sump filter) is installed incorrectly. The main sump filter has a snout that plugs into a bore in the pump housing. There is a seal at this connection (which is pressed into the pump bore). If the old seal is OK (no cuts or nicks, and won't easily pop out) then leave it in and re-use it. If you replace the seal, the new seal MUST be installed into the pump bore, and tapped in flush against the casting all the way around (not cocked). Do NOT put the seal on the filter snout!! The other filter (the spin-on one) goes on like a conventional engine oil filter. Spin it in until the gasket contacts the case face, then turn it another 1/2 turn or so BY HAND until it's snug. Do NOT overtorque it, since the threaded snout on this filter is plastic and will crack if you crank it down too tight.

You can actually "flush" your own trans if you want. Here is how to do it with an RFE-series trans (545RFE / 65RFE / 66RFE / 68RFE): First, do a fluid drain and refill (and filter change) by dropping the oil pan. Then, you need to get the old oil out of the converter. When running in Park (or Neutral), oil from the converter is sent to the cooler. So you can disconnect one of the cooler lines and then pump out the converter by idling it in Park. But you don't want to run the trans dry. You also need to PLUG the other side of the cooler line (the return side) because otherwise the pump will suck air through that line. Note that the UPPER line at the trans is "to cooler" and the lower line is the return line.

On an RFE trans, you can typically run it down about 1 gallon low before the pump starts sucking air. So overfill it by 1 quart, and then do the pump-out-the-cooler-line routine until you've drained 4 quarts. That should leave you 3 quarts low. Refill and repeat.

The diesel (68RFE) converter holds just a hair under 2 gallons. Gas engine converters hold less than that. So draining two gallons out the cooler line should flush out the converter pretty well.
Interesting post and sounds like a good option for the do-it-yourselfer.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM

thanks guys!! TransEngineer, exactly what i was looking for, thanks!!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

I should also point out that if you start the engine (and run it, to set the oil level after doing the pan drain and refill), you will be blowing all the old oil (from the converter) into the sump.

So DON'T start the engine until you've got the cooler line disconnected (or ready to disconnect). Then, ALL the old oil from the converter will end up in your bucket (or, if you're like me, probably on the driveway!) instead of mixed into the pan. It normally takes about 7 quarts to refill an RFE trans after a pan drop, so I would throw in 8 quarts and then start it up and pump a gallon out the cooler line. Then shut it off, add another gallon of fresh oil, and pump out another gallon. Then shut it off, reconnect the cooler line, add 2-3 quarts, then start it up again and set the final level.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Then, ALL the old oil from the converter will end up in your bucket (or, if you're like me, probably on the driveway!)
LOL

And they say engineer's don't have a sense of humor...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.