DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl(Its effin Dark Red)
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:26
jdip is on a distinguished road
Default Newb Looking for advice with the Stereo Upgrade

I get my 12 SLT delivered on Thursday. It has the stock stereo Unfortunately I just discovered it does not even have Uconnect in it.

My first plan was to upgrade the stereo, and was hoping to buy it now that way Im not burning time on my XM subscription (that I will prob have to fight to move to a Sirius subscription). Not really sure what my best options would be though. Here is what I am looking for
Ipod Playback and MAINTAINING the steering wheel controls
Navigation preferably with the Garmin (I dont believe the OEM has Garmin Traffic but I know some aftermarkets do, but I would like that option)
Eventually will install a backup camera

I wont lose any sleep if I dont have DVD playback, but it would be a bonus, and I wont lose any sleep if I dont get hands free, but to my understanding most OEM require the hands free to have Ipod intergration.

My question is what is my best options? I was looking at the Kenwood DNX890HD but I would need the steering wheel interface, and have no clue where to get one. I really want to try and stick to plug and play, I know I will have the combined GPS/Sat antenna so at least I dont have to run that. I am not big about installing this but It doesnt seem too rough, especially if i go to the OEMautopartsco site that has all the instructions. I just dont know what combination to get from there. I was initially under the impression the RHB4829 would work but then Id have to buy the Ipod kit, AND the Uconnect kit to install Uconnect. That makes me pushing close to 1700.

Any help is appreciated. I know this is alot for my first post but I have been wanting a truck for a while, go figure I buy one when I move to the south and have lived with my 2 wheel drive Charger in CT for 4 years haha. But hoping to make the best of this forum and the knowledge on it to help me get over my newbism Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

I really like Pioneers double din decks. Check out their website for their NAV decks. Keep in mind you will have to trim the metal bracket in the dash to fit a full double din deck in there.

As far as maintaining the steering wheel controls and such you will need the full wiring harness to make it work. Check out crutchfield.com. They have tons of audio stuff and will answer all your questions. You can also go to your local audio shop. They should have it.

Another good option to find out more info is the search function on this forum. Go to the right section and just start reading threads you'll learn tons!

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 PM

Ok thanks. I was hoping to stick with the OEM but the more I look into it the more I realize it is legit gonna cost 2 grand by the time Im done. I gotta start searching for some reputable Car audio places in my area.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Prairie Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
Speedogomer is on a distinguished road

I'm a little biased to pioneer, as I used to have a Pioneer AVIC-D2 about 7 years ago, it worked perfectly. If I was in the market today, I'd seriously consider the Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC....html?tp=20222

you'd also need this for your ipod http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130IU20...CD-IU201N.html

Search around, caraudiogiants.com has that same unit for $829 free shipping, but crutchfield gives a better description of it. You could even easily add a back up cam to it if you wanted to.

For steering wheel controls, maybe this video will help,
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 AM

Thanks for the reply. As I continue to investigate my options it seems since I want to stay with Garmin nav because of all the add ons I already own aftermarket is gonna be expensive especially if I want kenwood. Since I don't have uconnect and am looking into the navigational mygig can I just get the microphone and and mygig unit and call it a day? I was originally under the impression I need the 350 dollar uconnect kit but it says for non navigational units only. I just moved into a new apartment in a new state and don't have any tools or friends with tools nearby to help with the install so being that the mygig will fit right in with minimal installation issues that may be my best bet considering aftermarkets seem to need a lot of hardware adjustments.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:11 AM

I forgot to add I'd obviously need to purchase the mygig iPod kit too. So that makes the mygig nav unit, iPod kit, and just the uconnect microphone (or am I missing something else)?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

go to the crutchfield website & enter you vehicles info

it is going to cost you just short of $350 to get just the External Module to make the things you want work, then another $50 to get it programed into your Ram

so that means that you can buy another after market radio for $400 & sell your current radio for a few $$$

You will get the radio that you would like to have & be a Happy Camper

here is video of how to remove your radio, it is a piece of cake

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-11-2013, 04:01 AM

I just got a really good deal on a 2013 slt with a uconnect a1. I can live with te a1 knowing I can never have a touchscreen at least for now but one thing I do absolutely want is a back up camera (knowing ill have to get a kit with a rvm). Anyone have good ideas or recommendations? And how is the best way to install it considering it will need power? and how hard is it in the 2013 to make it activate in reverse? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:02 AM

And just to clarify I have not picked up either truck yet but most likely going with the 2013
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: Blue/mineral gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
sheikyerbouti is on a distinguished road

I would buy Kenwood, something from the excelon line. If you plan on adding amps in the future ,make sure the unit you buy has at least 5v pre outs