DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Rep:10
coldlake56 is on a distinguished road
Default Nasty Squeal/Screetch on Start up

I'll start with a little back ground information. I towed a 5x8 uhaul trailer 3000 kms from southern ontario to northern alberta (Three trips at 10 hrs). At around 2300 kms I would say the screetch started (I am going to call it a screetch as it makes me cringe everytime). Everytime i start the truck it happens up until around 2000 rpms then goes away. It does slightly come back when shifting into second gear. Once I am up to speed it goes away completely but once i slow down to a stop and reach around 2000 rpms it happens again b ut not as extensive. Once i accelerate its there again but though periodically the screetch won't come back when accelerating or even slowing down. I have no idea what it is. Whether its a pulley/bearing or belt. Though keep in mind i did have the belt replaced around 10 000kms ago. Would it be possible beccause of my recent trip the belt expanded due to heat and caused the belt to become loose on the pulleys? If it were the bearings it would be a constant noise? Correct me if I am wrong. Any help would be much appreciated. Currently just moved for work and I am really hoping this isn't major.

PS The truck has 98 XXXkms
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Has Internet Tourettes

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1694
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

It could be the belt. They are made from different compounds from different manufacturers.

Most guys buy a belt and get the cheapest one because they figure a belt is a belt, right?

Check the pulleys and see if there is any movement in the wear. Meaning...when the belt is running true to the pulley you'll see an area with no paint/wear on it where the belt usually runs. If you can see an area that is clean of paint and the belt isn't running on it, that'd mean the pulley/bearing has shifted/worn and the belt is traveling at a different angle.

If all seems well, try a Good Year Gatorback belt. While the belt is off spin the pulley's both ways and check for any resistance.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Sounds like a belt to me as well. I would try changing that out first. That's a pretty cheap thing to do. If the problem is still there afterwards then you can start digging a little deeper. But you might as well start with the easy cheap stuff first.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 05-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I bought the belt today and I am going to replace it and also check the pulleys. The screech has gotten better. Its slightly there on start-up but doesn't last as long. It only happens sometimes when accelerating and decelerating. Not as much as before. But I do notice it only slightly when shifting gears, its not more of a screech but it does have the same tone just only for a moment when shifting.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Just replaced the belt, checked the pulleys. Everything was okay. Went for a test drive and everything sounded and felt like new. Thanks for the help and tips! Much appreciated.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Okay i was wrong, my initial test drive it was okay, but i just drove into town and its more of a squeal now. Its barely to not even existent on start-up but when i accelerate its there until about 2 grand and disappears. Only on occasion it continues to be there but rarely. When I replaced the belt i did notice that the power steering pulley was a little tight but I am unsure if it should be free moving or not. The pulley was also able to move slightly back and forth on the shaft. Would that mean i have too much wear on the shaft and the pump should be completely replaced? Or could it potentially just the pulley that needs to be replaced. Again any help is appreciated. Thank you