DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Product Reviews

Notices

Product Reviews Have you found a great product, or a really bad one and you just need to tell someone about it! Post up a review for the benefit of all!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:58
Spike will become famous soon enough
Default Soft Top by Softtopper

I have been running a Softtopper for a few months now and here is my review.

I wanted the use of a camper shell without the cost and having the thing in my truck all the time. I don't really like the way they look but needed one for my dogs and gear on trips. With that said, I ordered a Softtopper with the storage bag and mesh rear window addition.

The installation was very easy and the instructions were excellent. I think it took all of an hour to complete the whole install. The hardware and frame appear to be good quality other than the plastic end brackets. I will be surprised if those last for 5 years but time will tell.

I did have a problem with the front window coming loose and slapping the back window of the cab violently. I contacted Softopper and their customer service was 2nd to none. I ended up installing three additional snaps and Softtopper sent me a new front window for free. Once that was taken care of, the top works perfectly and my two 100lbs dogs are happy riding in the back with the mesh window.

It takes 5-10 minutes to put up or take down by myself. Overall, it was the right call. It does the job for less than half the price of a camper shell.

Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:139
SShadow1974 will become famous soon enoughSShadow1974 will become famous soon enough

The 10 minutes you speak of, is that putting up the shell only? Or is that including installing the metal rail along the bed in the last picture? I guess my question is, do you leave it like the last picture all the time, or is it easy to install/remove the whole thing?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:58
Spike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShadow1974 View Post
The 10 minutes you speak of, is that putting up the shell only? Or is that including installing the metal rail along the bed in the last picture? I guess my question is, do you leave it like the last picture all the time, or is it easy to install/remove the whole thing?
The railing stays on and is held on by clamps that have a bolt though them, but there is also an adhesive strip on the bottom so I don't think you would want to take them on and off. The adhesive strips may be redundant though because the clamps should hold it tight. It may leak without them.

I added three fasteners on the inside of the front of the bed for the front window to snap to. They came with the kit but I didn't install them initially and this was a mistake. Everything clamps on except those three fasteners. I simply drilled three holes and threaded them into the sheet metal. So far, they have worked perfect.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:139
SShadow1974 will become famous soon enoughSShadow1974 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info. I'd want something that I could easily put on and take off in case I needed the whole bed... Which in the past 6 months has happened a few times. LOL