DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Dually
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black/Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
michialt is on a distinguished road
Default Collision Repair increased estimate 50%

I need some advice on a problem. I damaged the rear fender on my truck. I got 2 estimates, one for $2571 and the other for $2508. I actually went with the more expensive.

After I dropped the truck off I get a call telling me that they did not include two tone painting, and that the clips on the bed cap broke off. The then revised their estimate to $400 more.

NOW they call me and tell me that the truck is done, BUT they just got a revised quote from Chrysler and the cost of the actual fender has went up another $600 and the price has again went up...

Now I called a local Dodge Dealerships parts department and the cost of the Fender is $1100 (same as originally quoted)...

I don't think I should be paying the increased price, but at the same time I don't want them putting a Mechanics Lien and take my truck... It should not be my problem that their software didn't add time for the two tone. The bedcap was expected as the other estimate told me to expect it. And I should especially not be responsible for them not having accurate pricing when they give me the estimate.

What would y'all do in this situation.
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

You're absolutely right; it sounds like you're getting royally screwed.

From your post I'm guessing this is not an insurance claim and you've taken your truck to an independent shop you didn't previously do business with? You'd have more behind you if it was through your insurance.

I think I'd tell the shop you want to see the invoice for the parts they ordered but I think that's about all you can do. You can certainly try to fight them but they have your truck.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have a regular body shop do the repair or a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram body shop do it ?

It is Normal for the bed cap & tailgate cap clips to break off, while being removed for anything. I had to replace my tailgate cap recently. The clips can be seen on the tailgate cap, just to the left of the tailgate, they are pretty frail

I have to ask, did they replace the fender or repair the original one ?
did it have the spray on bedliner on the damaged part ?
That is the only down side to spray on bedliners, when a sprayed part is damaged, it almost doubles the cost of repair

The 2 tone paint charge should have been caught before they started the repair
most shops make a courtesy call when there is going to be added costs, they are suppose to do that when the cost is going to be more then the estimate
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I had the option of going through my insurance, or paying out of pocket. I chose out of pocket because my agent told me my premiums would go up for 3 years because it is considered At Fault.

I have indirectly done business with this shop which is why I chose them with them being slightly higher. My local Dodge dealership sends all their paint work to this shop, and I had some warranty issues with paint on a Jeep.

I was called when they caught the two tone issue, BUT they had already started the work because they lead the conversation off with the bed cap breaking. The other shop had told me this was common so I expected the bed cap, but the paint issue I didn't. I did approve the increase for two tone and bed cap.

NOT one word was said to me about the increase cost of the fender (they did replace it, not a repair). In fact that conversation started off telling me that the truck was done in the paint shop, and all that is left is to buff and make ready for me. THEN they tell me about the increase in the cost of the fender.

I've looked at the Attorney Generals recommendation on this, and it's basically pay the cost now and take them to small claims court. I am most angry about this because it's not like they found additional problems. I would understand if there were additional parts, but there isn't. I shouldn't be responsible for their lack of due diligence in providing me the quote in the first place.

OH, no there was no bed liner on the parts replaced.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

I might be in jail right now...........I would pay EXACTLY what is on that paperwork....if there was an increas or additional work needed, they should have notified you BEFORE THE WORK WAS DONE........unprofessional and B.S. all the way.....bunch of d**chebags!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn Quad
Color: Saddle Brown
jeepgrady is on a distinguished road

Was the estimate in writing? If so, they are liable to stick with that estimate.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I like about living in Texas is that the gooberment doesn't have their hand in every little aspect of our lives like in California. However, every now and then that costs us consumers in the bank account. I would follow the AG's advice, however, let then know that you have researched the cost of the fender and would like to know why the cost went up $600. Don't let them put a lien on your truck, but don't let them walk all over you either.
On another note, is this a chain body shop? I live in southern part of the metroplex and doubt that I would use that body shop, but if it's a chain, I would be less likely to use them down here.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 5.9 diesel
Trim Level: QUAD CAB SLT 4X4
Color: white
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:80
dwanton will become famous soon enough

first off -- did you sign any paperwork ????? If you didn't , you can just take your truck and not pay a dime !!!!!!!

you also have the right to see the parts invoices .

you can walk around your truck and start showing them every little mark you can find and tell them they weren't there when you dropped it off . 2 can play that game -- tell them you are going to call the BBB (better business bureau)

part pricing changes daily and the estimating system is updated monthly. pricing on parts is always different but not by $600 -- the only thing I can think of is they ordered a complete side ( inner and outer ) and priced you on just the outer skin .

if all fails -- pay the bill and tell them that you will be telling and your friends about the experience .

If this is a private shop and you talk with the owner -- he will most likely tell you to pay the bill or you cant have your truck . Tell him that you have the right to the old parts and you want them. then you can see what they replaced -- if it was just the outer skin or the complete side -- this will help to see if they are lying about what they replaced and what you paid for.

good luck
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7L 4x4
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: FLAME RED
Rep:27
letsjet is on a distinguished road

Isn't there a law that they can only go over so far, on an estimate like $40 or 10% before they have to notify you for approval? I'd show up with a check and a small claims summons, bet they have never seen that before.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you to everyone that offered advice. I made a call to the companies corporate office and reported a complaint against the store.

By the time I got there last night to pick up my truck the store somehow managed to "find out that they were not billed correctly." And the price of the fender was returned to the quoted price.

I suspect that what the real truth behind this is is that when they wrote the quote up, they used their cost for the fender instead of their marked up price. Then when the caught it they tried to pull one over on me thinking I would just accept it and move on. They did not expect me to call the dealership and get a quote, nor did they expect me to make a big deal out of it. Then when they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar they tried to save face...

Oh, and the funniest thing, when I picked up my truck they had left off the plastic piece that runs along the bottom of the rocker panel... I had told them to reuse the old one, and they had thrown it away, so they had to order another one.

I won't ever go to this Service "King" again. While they finished my truck, and it looks better than when I picked it up from the dealership, I caught them in way too many lies to ever trust them again.