DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:41
khuman is on a distinguished road
Question Keyless entry door pad

Ok so here goes:

I have always liked the built in keypads that come on most Ford vehicles. I find this to be a great option when going places that I don't want to have to carry my keys or worry about losing them.

When we bought my wife's Nissan Quest, we found out that Nissan offers a factory add on (wireless keypad with 3M) as shown here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50787228@N07/4666560211/

Now the question is how can I adapt this to work on my Ram?

While thinking about that I stumbled across this website: http://www.a1electric.com/keypad.htm

This of course would be a "permanent" solution as it requires a hardwire install. Of course this option will work out of the box (hopefully with minimum headache), but it is no where near as close on the ease of install as being able to basically program an extra key fob and stick it to the door (that is basically what Nissan's is)

So what are some thoughts on this? Is there an option that I'm missing as far as this keypad idea goes?

Last edited by khuman; 06-03-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2010, 03:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

I guess it's a good idea but I don't like the way they look. The second one looks like you would have to cut a hole in the door to install. Not to appealing to me if that where the case. I can see the usefulness of not having to carry a key.

.[/I]

Old 06-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Hiding it somewhere out of sight would be really trick. Wiring shouldn't be too difficult if the instructions are good.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
Hiding it somewhere out of sight would be really trick. Wiring shouldn't be too difficult if the instructions are good.
I'm not afraid of mounting the pad into the door, and as you say with good instrurctions wiring shouldn't be a problem. My biggest concern with the hardwired one is finding out if it is going to have issues with my remote start or other options. (I don't believe my truck is a factory remote start) I know this is more of an issue to take up with the folks that make the pad.

My main thing is trying to come up with a wireless option like Nissan offers. I am tempted to get an extra keyfob and a nissan wireless keypad and start mixing and matching...just don't know if I have the knowledge base required for such a task...guess live and learn could apply here
Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I can't see why it would interfere with the remote start myself but of course I didn't engineer it either.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:52 PM

I am going to email the folks that make the hardwired one and see what they have to say about installation with my particular truck. I'll pass along my findings. In the mean time I'm going to be working on the wireless version too.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Neat mod . Let us know if your gonna try it .
Old 08-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Color: Gold
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:30
C0DRAM04 is on a distinguished road

I am interested in installing a keypad on my 04 what did you come across?? Thanks
Mods- Bully Dog 93 Tune, K&N CAI, Infinity Speakers/Pioneer HU w/amp bypass & 12' Kicker Comp, 15% Tinted, 6000K HIDs, Fog 6000k HIDs, Hunter Bull Bar, Billet Grill, 3" leveling kit, 20" LoneStar Wheels, 33" Cooper All Terrains, LED Bulb swap for Interior Lights and License Plate
Old 08-05-2012, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

If I were to do the hard wire one, I would try to locate it somewhere hidden. Not for security, but for appearance. Maybe even on the back of the cab between the bed and cab near the drivers side?? or in the grill somehow. I do not like the way they look and certainly wouldn't want to make any holes in my vehicle for a potentially hokey aftermarket electronic device.

As far as the stick on code remote, sure, that's easy enough without any permanent changes. Again, I would stick it in the corner of the bed or somewhere out of sight

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 08-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

any updates on this... it's intriguing, especially considering that it's cheaper than buying a programed key from Chrysler...

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill