DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Place your Ad Here!

Old 09-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
mwang is on a distinguished road
Default pre-assembled headlights housing?

Hi

I did HID conversion on my 2014 ram 1500 (quad housing) about 2 years ago. the outcome was great except when I baked it open, I cracked some parts and it's not sealed properly. I'm wondering if any places sell the housing pre-assembled, so I would be getting pieces to do my retro fit then seal them for the first time. any comment is appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2016, 05:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QCSB
Trim Level: SXLT Sport Combo
Color: Brilliant Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:114
kelaog will become famous soon enoughkelaog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwang View Post
Hi

I did HID conversion on my 2014 ram 1500 (quad housing) about 2 years ago. the outcome was great except when I baked it open, I cracked some parts and it's not sealed properly. I'm wondering if any places sell the housing pre-assembled, so I would be getting pieces to do my retro fit then seal them for the first time. any comment is appreciated.
I looked into this and couldn't find anything.

I think your best bet would be to look for a set of OEM's really cheap on craigslist locally. I've seen them go as low as $80 for a set. Then try and bake them open more carefully

Or, try and repair the housings you've got. Is the crack in the polylaminate glass or in the black plastic part?

The black plastic part is easily moldable with heat. If you've got a soldering iron and a little patience you can "work" the crack back together. On my headlights I had to cut out a small square to release one of the mounting brackets for the bucket. I "plastic welded" it back in with a soldering iron. I didn't use any filler just thinned the surrounding areas. I also fixed one of the tabs on my sport headlights doing this method. It is water tight. Easy to do with some practice.
You could alternatively repair with a epoxy.

Last edited by kelaog; 09-19-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
mwang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelaog View Post
I looked into this and couldn't find anything.

I think your best bet would be to look for a set of OEM's really cheap on craigslist locally. I've seen them go as low as $80 for a set. Then try and bake them open more carefully

Or, try and repair the housings you've got. Is the crack in the polylaminate glass or in the black plastic part?

The black plastic part is easily moldable with heat. If you've got a soldering iron and a little patience you can "work" the crack back together. On my headlights I had to cut out a small square to release one of the mounting brackets for the bucket. I "plastic welded" it back in with a soldering iron. I didn't use any filler just thinned the surrounding areas. I also fixed one of the tabs on my sport headlights doing this method. It is water tight. Easy to do with some practice.
You could alternatively repair with a epoxy.
that would be my next step. to get some sealant and fix my current ones. by the way, I also have the mini D2S with 35W 4500k bulbs.